main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Events Jurassic Art

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Corellian_Outrider, May 31, 2016.

1. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    "Welcome to Jurassic June!"

It is a time to appreciate creatures of the prehistoric kind through art form. This is a place for artists and fans to participate in a themed drawing exercises and also allow for general discussions about their favourites and appearances in media too.

What is the challenge? How does it work?

It is open to anyone and of all skill levels. Does not matter if you can paint like a Renaissance master or a simple stick figures, the idea is for everyone to have fun. Any medium is accepted too and you are free to submit from a simple sketch or a finished piece of art.

The theme is dinosaurs and other prehistoric creatures. It is open to and not limited to just Jurassic Park.

Entries are to be posted right here in this thread to have them all in one place. Of course, you are also welcome to showcase your works in your own individual art threads as well. The entries must be your own work and credit is to be given where credit is due if using assets that is not your own.

Social discussions - are critiques and commentary allowed?

Yes, critiques and commentary are allowed. Regarding Critiques, please remember the TOS and to keep things positive and constructive. Critiques are meant to help an artist, not tear into them like there is no tomorrow.

Discussions are open too! Ranging from your favourites animals, the latest scientific discoveries to depictions in films and other media and anything in between. Again, this is to have fun.

How will the voting work?

At the end of the period, all entries will be gathered together and voted on by your peers. This is not to be a serious contest but a way to give back to the community. The entries with the highest amount of hits at the end of the voting period will be awarded something special.

Duration: 31st August
    Keeping with the theme, this 'era' (Challenge) will go for three 'periods' (months)

If you have any questions or would like to suggest a topic for a future challenge, please don't hesitate to send me a PM!

Bardan_Jusik and Darth Ukendt like this.
  2. Darth Ukendt

Darth Ukendt Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 24, 2015
    This'll be fun.

Corellian_Outrider likes this.
  3. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
  4. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    I may have to convince my son to come back here, some of his Dino Art is pretty impressive!

5. TyrannosaurTJ

TyrannosaurTJ Jedi Padawan star 1

May 7, 2016
  6. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    He is more than welcome to join, Addie. It would be great to see some of his works :)

What's my favourite animal… that is hard to narrow down as there are several and the more I think, the more that gets added. Just off the top of my head would be one from each group like the Muttaburrasaurus, Stegosaurus, Ankylosaurus, Brachiosaurus, Triceratops, Lambeosaurus and a few others in the herbivore camp while the Tyrannosaurus, Dilophosaurus and a couple of others. I guess that gives me a few to choose from about which to draw :p

EDIT: That is a nice piece depicting the Morrison Formation and the species from around that period TyrannosaurTJ . Ceratosaurus is another one of my favourites too. I see that you have done a few others as well, do you have a favourite to draw?

7. Darth Ukendt

Darth Ukendt Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 24, 2015
  8. TyrannosaurTJ

May 7, 2016

I do actually. I love Tyrannosaurus (of course), Megalosaurus, Spinosaurus, Acrocanthosaurus, Parasaurolophus, Centrosaurus, Allosaurus, Ceratosaurus, and Camptosaurus is also cool. Plus I do enjoy sauropods as well too like Apatosaurus and was glad with the news of Brontosaurus being a valid taxon again actually. I can range in drawing usually. I'll include a link to my full page on dA if you're curious:

http://tyrannosaurtj.deviantart.com/gallery/

I feel I'm crappy at drawing humans to be perfectly honest. I haven't drawn much since about 2011/2012 or so.

9. CT1138

Sep 4, 2013
  10. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Darth Ukendt, that a good twist on the ANH poster, saurian style. :)

TyrannosaurTJ, Thank you for the link. You've got some nice pieces there and I really like how the Tyrannosaur, Chasmosaurus and Allosaurus turned out. I also see that you've got a few Stargate pieces too! :D

Humans can be tricky but takes practice and get used to it. I usually break it down into stick figures and sculptural form to rough down the pose and proportions and then clean up the line work before rendering.

Dinos4Ever, any medium is welcomed! I definitely miss the Kenner figures. They had some great sculpts and wish that they would be re-release as anniversary editions.

Darth Ukendt likes this.
  11. TyrannosaurTJ

May 7, 2016

I have a couple OCs too in my gallery from various things. I was part of a Stargate/Star Wars crossover once actually. Had a Goa'uld that took a Force-Sensitive host and became a Sith Lord at the same time. Was kind of amusing for as long as it lasted. My RP/fan fic days are behind me though.

12. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    That type of crossover could work quite well. It would have been fun if the Destiny ended up in the same Galaxy.

I've been working on this piece for the challenge.

Meet Claire, a Stegosaurus. About to cool down by the river.

[​IMG]

Tarsier, TheAdmiral and Bardan_Jusik like this.
  13. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    Hi Claire! You look fantastic. :p

14. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Thank you! :) Been so long since I last drawn one and was a lot of fun working on this.

Hmmm... I might need to have a friend for her…. [face_thinking]

15. CT1138

Sep 4, 2013
    Dang, that's a good looking Stego!

16. TyrannosaurTJ

May 7, 2016
    Indeed! Very awesome looking Stegosaurus!

17. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Thank you both of you! :)

I am working on another one, something from the Cretaceous Period this time. Still exploring the composition so it is too soon to say which one it is.

18. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    The period maybe over but the fun is not. I will keep this open for anyone to post up their prehistoric inspired art.

Filming is set to start in a few months time for the next Jurassic film. I am keen to see the direction they will go with this one as it should take the series into a new direction.