main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Jurassic Park" and "Schindler's List" soundtracks

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Jedi_Apprentice_Celt, Aug 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Apprentice_Celt

Jedi_Apprentice_Celt Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 1, 2001
    I just got these two for my birthday on the twenty-eighth. They are both among the top five I've ever listened to in the genre of soundtracks. I haven't listened to all of "List," but the violin performance of the main theme is simply among the most beautiful things I've ever heard. The way Perlman plays the violin in that is amazing. And the reprise of it is also gorgeous. The main theme of "Park" is another beautiful piece that is also grand. I also like the other, brassier theme in it. That album also has a lot of cool action music throughout, and I like the jungle-type music used when Dennis steals the eggs. What are some of your guys' opinions on these soundtracks?

2. Grand Admiral Reese

Grand Admiral Reese Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 1, 1999
    Jurassic Park is one of my favorites. I listen to it regularly.

Never listened to Schindler's List.

3. AmeiaSkywalker

AmeiaSkywalker Jedi Youngling star 3

May 28, 2001
    I think they are both wonderful soundtracks.

4. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    Jurassic Park is the third in a string of excellent scores that JW composed in the early nineties.

The first was Hook and the second was Far and Away (if you don't have it, get it). It all culminated with JP. Great score. :D

5. jangosdna

jangosdna Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 22, 2001
    I really like JP, but haven't heard SL

XYZ PDQ

6. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Schindler's List is one of Williams' greatest scores ever. It is truly amazing, moving, emotional, beautiful, haunting, soothing... so many emotions and feelings. I just love it.

Jurassic Park is also awesome. Not one of his greatest scores ever but very very good. I enjoy this one a lot.

7. slavegirl

slavegirl Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    The Jurassic Park soundtrack is one of my favourites, even though I don't own the CD yet. I can remember playing it in my school orchestra years ago and falling in love with it straight away. :) Schindler's List is also a beautiful soundtrack - but slightly disturbing at times, especially track 8, and very different to most of JW's music. The only thing that irritates me about Schindler's List is how some of the violin solos could sound so much better if they were cello solos. But that's becuase I'm a cellist and I'm not too fond of the violin. :p

8. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    I don't own and never listened to the Schindler's List Score

but Jurassic Park is really cool. First, I only had Lost World, and really liked it. People frequently said, JP is better. Then I bought it, listened to it and was amazed that it really is much better
    much better than a Score I already really liked - how good is that? :D

gotta listen to it again :mad: ;)

9. Laserschwert

Laserschwert Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 25, 2001
    I don't own "Schindler's List", but I will definitely buy it in some time. I've heard the main theme several times though, and it IS really awesome.

Concerning "Jurassic Park", well, it was the first soundtrack I've ever had... and now I have over 70! But JP ist still one of my all time favourites. The main theme is one of most breathtaking pieces ever written by Williams... it perfectly reflects the breathtaking awe you were in when first watching "Jurassic Park". Furthermore I love the "Arriving"-piece, plus "My friend the Brachiosaurus" (though I still don't understand why they called it that, since it's played in the scene with the Triceratops).

10. Darth_Silenous

Darth_Silenous Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 21, 2002
    Schindler's List is one of William's most moving and beautifully tragic scores. The sheer pathos of the violin, combined the simplistic delicacy of the themes, makes for a listen I don't think he'll ever be able to reproduce. The closest he ever got to SL in another score was with Seven Years in Tibet and Yo-Yo Ma's lovely cello solos, but even that can't compare to the brilliance and beauty of SL.

Jurassic Park is also a superb score--very fun, yet simultaneously beautiful and frightening. I love them both.

11. master-kevin

master-kevin Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 21, 2002
    Jurassic Park is one of the best compleation of songs done by, the great Jhon Williams. Me and my friend always listen to that song. The heavy trumpet part is so cool.

12. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    SONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They are not SONGS! They are cues or tracks or even pieces, but they are NOT SONGS!

Get some culture people!

13. Jedi_Apprentice_Celt

Jul 1, 2001
    I really like the main theme in "JP." That trumpet theme that is almost a main one is really good, but I don't think it has the combined beauty and power of the "main theme" featured in track 2.

As for "SL," my favorite parts of that is probably any use of the main theme, especially tracks 1, 7, and 14. The violin playing is so gorgeous, and I like the paino rendition of the theme on the last track (as well as the piano rendition of "JP's" main theme on track 7, I believe).

14. Ghosts_Of_Anakin

Ghosts_Of_Anakin Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    I LOVE the JP soundtrack. I think its almost better than the SW ones. I also think that #7 is the best on the CD. It really represents the movies to a T.(Whatever that means) [face_laugh]

15. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    I downloaded the SL Theme now
    and you are right, it is truly wonderful
    sounds very sad, above all things, I think

16. Jedi_Apprentice_Celt

Jul 1, 2001
    Yes, it sounds very sad. They have a bunch of good renditions of it on the soundtrack. I'd say it's a must-buy if I've ever seen one.

17. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    It's just a pity that JW didn't write the theme to SL. It's just an arrangement of a russian tune (I believe)

You can also hear it as "Tania's theme" from "Enemy at the Gates"

18. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    Okay... I want the SL Score

It's 17,99 at amazon
    it ships for free at over 20
    so... what else shall I buy? I already have JP and LW and also ET... I'd also rather like something by Williams... what shall I buy? Far&Away? Saving Private Ryan? Amistad?
    I won't buy A.I. btw.
    (I'm running out of movies now ... help me)

EDIT: Last Crusade?

19. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    (never mind, ordered Schindler and Edward, now)

20. bright sith

bright sith Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 27, 1999
    halibut, I've read that Horner used the Russian folk song for his theme in Enemy at the Gates, but I've never read that Schindler is based on it. Granted, I realize that was written in defense of people finding "Enemy" and Schindler similar, but is there actual evidence that Williams used the same theme?

Anyhow, JP and Schindler are two of Williams' very best works, and deserving to be owned by any film score enthusiast.

21. Laserschwert

Laserschwert Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 25, 2001
    @TwiLelJedi:

YOU DON'T OWN "LAST CRUSADE"?!?

Well.. then buy it. It's definitely worth it. It's just sad that it's just "Selections from the soundtrack"... not the whole thing. I remember seeing the 3-CD-bootleg around somewhere... I wish I could get a hold of THAT...

22. Darth_Silenous

Mar 21, 2002
    halibut--I have heard the exact same as brightsith (from Film Score Monthly articles on Enemy at the Gates). I always thought the SL theme was an original composition. Horner's theme is (from what I've read) an adaptation of one of his own themes, which in turn was an adaptation of a Russian theme. I don't think the two coincide.

23. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Well, the proof is in the pudding. Here is the first minute of Tania's theme from Enemy at the Gates. See how similar to the main theme from Schindler's List it is!

24. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    Laserschwert: You misspelled me :p
    and no I don't. I don't know why. and you know what? I don't have the movies either.

25. Darth_Silenous

Mar 21, 2002
    halibut, I know how similar they are. However, they aren't exactly the same, and could have been reached through entirely different means. While Horner's has come through from several morphs of his own works (which DID originally get it's inspiration from a Russian piece; Prokoviev or Shostakovich, I don't remember)--we just don't know how changed it was. JW may have unwittingly come up with the same type of tune; we'll never know. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.