main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jurassic Park IV?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Dubya_Fett, Jul 23, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Skywalker

The_Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 2

May 23, 2001
    That sounds great. Except, I want to see more of Isla Nublar. Hopefully, there is a lot of new Dinosaurs, such as Carnotaurus, Giganatosaurus, Pleisiosaur, and Deinonychus. The Deinonychus is very similar to the Velociraptor, so maybe we could see a fight between the two packs. And, the T-Rex should be the central baddie again. He's just more intimidating than the Spinosaurus.

2. Dubya_Fett

Dubya_Fett Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 2, 2001
    THE SKYWALKER: Are the dinosaurs on Isla Nublar still alive? Did they drop dead after a few weeks because of their genetically engineered lycene deficiency, or did they simply survive by eating lots of lycene-rich foods like the dinosaurs on Site B did? That's why I never understood why Michael Crichton went through the contrivance of creating Site B on Isla Sorna - it was unnecessary, which makes it seem even more contrived.

As for JP4 featuring a Deinonychus, it is a little too much like the Velociraptors in the JP movies (In reality, Velociraptors were smaller. The movie Raptors are about the size of a Deinonychus). May I recommend a Megaraptor instead, which is believed to be the largest known member of the Deinonychosaurians (about 6-8 m, twice the size of a Deinonychus!). And as I've said before, I'd like to see more varieties of dinosaurs, both carnivores and herbivores, as well as some marine reptiles in the next film.

By the way, why does everyone knock the Spinosaur in JP3? I think it was a smart move by the filmmakers to give us a new super-predator, especially one as unique as the Spino. Personally, I saw enough of the T-Rex in the original JP and TLW. The T-Rex is great, but too much of it would become old and boring (although, admittedly, a T-Rex vs. Spino rematch, with the T-Rex triumphant, would have been a great climax for JP3, if a bit cliched).

-Dubya Fett
    Fettism of the Day: "Shaak Ti... Shaak Ti... Shaak Ti... Shaak Ti monkey!"

3. The_Skywalker

May 23, 2001
    The movies never said the dinosaurs on Isla Nublar were destroyed. Which brings you to this question: Why did Grant say he didn't want to go back to that island (meaning Nublar). The dinos are probably still there. I'm sick of Isla Sorna and Site B.

I was hoping that Biosyn could secretly set up genetic engineering on Isla Nublar. I think somebody said that before. That way, it could feature more of Dodgson, as somebody else said. JP4 should be longer, different, and yet the same.

Still, I don't see why a dinosaur that eats fish would chase a few humans around the mainland. Plothole, clue to the next movie, or just to score points at the box office?

4. JediPraxeum

JediPraxeum Jedi Youngling star 3

May 14, 2001
    Spoiler......

Wasnt that a carnataur that took a crap in JP3!

5. EagleIFilms

EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2001
    Spoiler....

No, that was a carnotaur (did you know that in the theater? I did), but it couldn't have been the one taking the crap, since it was the Spinosaurus' crap. That's why the Phone was in it.

6. JediPraxeum

JediPraxeum Jedi Youngling star 3

May 14, 2001
    no, the one that acually comes out of the jungle and crapps right in front of all the characters while they are searching through the spino poo for the phone!

That one looks to me like the carnotaur, cuz its redish and has hoerns. (looks like the one from DINOSAUR)

7. charben01

charben01 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 28, 2001
    Actually it's a ceratosaur, a carnotaur was featured in Dinosaur (the Disney film with the talking dinos). It looks different. The raptors in all 3 JP films are actually Utahraptors. They found the first skeletons during the filming of JP, much to the relief of the film crew and Spielberg, who were concerned that their raptors didn't really exist. The full name of the raptor is Utahraptor Spielbergi. Read the introduction to Raptor Red by Robert Bakker, which is also and excellent novel, btw.

As a side note, the T-Rex should have killed the Spinosaur with the first bite. The spino may have been a bit larger, but the Rex has a much more powerful bite. The spino's neck should have snapped.

Chris Harben
    Atlantic Beach, FL

8. The_Skywalker

May 23, 2001
    "The raptors in all 3 JP films are actually Utahraptors".

Correction: they're as big as the Utahraptors. They are really Velociraptors made larger for a larger amount of fear. Who wants to watch a bunch of four feet creatures chase humans? That's shorter than my eight-year-old sister!

9. DarthMaul13

DarthMaul13 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 1998
    The ceratosaur never took a crap. It just came out of the woods, smelled the spino poo, and took off. It was too scared to stick around in the Spino's territory.

As for the ISLA SORNA issue. I think the reason the filmmakers are not going back to the original Jurrassic Park is because there are not that many dinos on the island to explore. We saw the layout of the park on Nedry's computer. It only had like 7 different dino facilities. SITE B is more like unexplored territory. We don't know what to find there.

I think it's unlikely that we will see Malcolm or Grant in the next film. There would be no possible way to convince the audience as to why these guys would ever venture near another dinosaur again.

The idea that a rival company may cotinue dino cloning is a good one. Perhaps we can see the dinos being produced in the bahamas, or the protected everglades of Florida. They then escape and reek havoc on Miami. If you want to see Malcolm and Grant in the next film, a good way to introduce them would be if they were professors at the University of Miami and then all hell breaks loose.

I dunno...something like that.

10. Dubya_Fett

Jun 2, 2001
    It seems the inevitable direction for "Jurassic Park IV" is that the dinosaurs somehow make it to the mainland. It's obvious how the Pteranodons can get off Isla Sorna, but what about the other dinosaurs? The Procompsognathuses could conceivably stow aboard a ship like rats, and the Spinosaur was portrayed as semi-aquatic like a crocodile, so maybe it swims to shore. But that does not leave a lot of varieties of dinosaurs running amuck on the mainland. Maybe they could be brought ashore for study, by the US government or a rival company, only to escape. Then the US Marines could be brought in to stop them.

Grant and/or Malcolm could then be brought in to advise the Marines, like Ripley did in "Aliens". If there's anything that Grant and Malcolm fear more than the dinosaurs of Jurassic Park it is the thought that the dinosaurs could escape from their island home and spread across the world, unsettling the balance of nature. Whatever the plot is, I hope it deals with the issue of reintroducing extinct species into the modern world, and the disastrous effect it would have on the environment. I want the "Jurassic Park" films to be about scientific ideas and ethical dilemmas again, not just action sequences and special effects.

-Dubya Fett
    Fettism of the Day: "Relax, Admiral Akbar. The menu says kalamari, not Mon Calamari."

11. Coolguy4522

Coolguy4522 Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 21, 2000
    I wanted JP3 to be a horror film. The ending was all to happy. They needed to break all the rules. The mother should have died. She deserved it for all that stupidity and screaming. The flying birds needed to attack something. Either the helocopters or a diffrent aircraft. The marines needed to fight the spinosorus to rescue the one hurt dude. I am terrible with all the names.
    As for JP4, I think that it would be cool if they discovered a bunch of dinos had swam to south america and were living in the Jungle or something.

12. Hydralisk

Hydralisk Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 29, 2000
    Actually, the JP "velociraptors" are smaller than U. ostrommaysorum, the only known species of utahraptor, which reached 21ft. (that we know of). Also, megaraptor may or may not have been a dromaeosaur (raptor), it may have been an avialan.

13. GaMeCuBe182

GaMeCuBe182 Jedi Youngling

Aug 1, 2001
    I think that Michael Crichton should be involved with Jurassic Park 4. Obviously since he's the author of Jurassic Park and the Lost World.
    I've seen Lost World and it would've been a better movie if they stuck with the book's plot. It's been a long time since I've read that book, but the book's plot is definitely better.

14. jedimaster chris

jedimaster chris Jedi Master star 2

Nov 1, 1999
    I forsee JP4 building upon the ending of JP3 with the Pterydactals flying away at the end. A site C with nothing but them?

15. DARTH-amusingname

DARTH-amusingname Jedi Youngling

Aug 15, 2001
    how come people think that JP3 is set before the lost world?

16. EagleIFilms

EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2001
    Because it was a rumor on the net. Like that dumb rumor that Vader is Luke's father.

error: Only 1 message post per minute is allowed.

17. darthmomm

darthmomm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 16, 2001
    OH YES!!! Other extreme JP fans....I am finally home!!!!

18. SonofSonofSons

SonofSonofSons Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 25, 2001
    Bookmark it: http://www.corona.bc.ca/films/details/jp4.html

19. Lord_Gita

Lord_Gita Former TFN FanFilms Staff star 4 VIP

Oct 5, 2000
    "You know, if the raptors get any smarter they'll be getting PhDs and research grants."

That's the sequel. It's a million years in the future and the alien shaped ultra-raptors will clone the extinct humans by finding the one survivor frozen at the bottom of the ocean.

20. Dubya_Fett

Jun 2, 2001
    Things I want to see in "Jurassic Park IV":

-Grant and Malcolm reunited and reluctantly working together again.

-Dinosaurs escape to the Costa Rican mainland.

-US military vs. dinosaurs.

-A carnivore vs. herbivore dinosaur fight (i.e. tyrannosaur vs. triceratops, velociraptors vs. ankylosaur).

-A triceratops herd stampede. Just something I've always wanted to see.

-Give us the Carnotaurus, sans silly colour-changing ability.

-Prehistoric marine reptiles (i.e. plesiosaurs, icthyosaurs, mosasaurs).

-An angry flock of archeopteryxes! The missing link between dinosaurs and birds!

-Because all dinosaur movies need them, an active volcano.

-An explanation as to what happened to John Hammond. Is he still alive?

-I didn't mind Trevor Morgan in JP3, but no more kids!

-A strong plot and more debate about the ethics of cloning, the potential ecological damage of reintroducing dinosaurs to the modern world, etc. I want to see mankind's position as Earth's dominant species potentially threatened.

JP3 was a good, old-fashioned adventure romp, but it didn't leave you much to think about. If they're going to make a fourth film, they should go all out.

-Dubya Fett

21. SithLord33

SithLord33 Jedi Youngling

Mar 16, 2001
    I loved JP3. I hope they make another as well.

I would like to see a return to Isla Nublar. Just to see what the actual Jurassic Park has become in all this time. Imagine a scene where one of the people goes into the long unused kitchen, opens the freezer door to see a raptor frozen solid in attack position?

One of you mentioned Biosyn as making new dinos? Well, for those that don't know Biosyn is a big player in the JP books, they send Nedry to try and get the embryos, and send Dodgsen, Baselton and King to get eggs in the second book. That would be an interesting concept, a few members of Biosyn raid Isla Sorna for dino eggs? That way all the humans are villains, making them all expendable! A movie where the dinos win in the end.

22. Obi_one_and_only

Obi_one_and_only Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 18, 2001
    In JP novel, the Costa Rican army was nuking isla Nublar. Since they did nit nuke Site B, we can hope for JP4.
    Gosh, it's been ages since I talked Dinosaurs!
    Thanks fellas!
    :)

23. SithLord33

Mar 16, 2001
    Isla Nublar was never nuked in the movies though. As far as we know it is still thriving just like Isla Sorna.

24. Dubya_Fett

Jun 2, 2001
    I doubt we'll see Isla Nublar again since the last two movies have focused exclusively on Isla Sorna, but the JP films have all taken little bits of details from the JP novels. Some scenes from the novels unused in the movies so far include the nuking of Isla Nublar, dinosaurs escaping to the Costa Rican mainland, dead dinosaurs washing ashore on beaches, Grant being detained by the Costa Rican government for knowing about the dinosaurs, and Biosyn trying to get their hands on dinosaur eggs. I've written before how all these could be combined into a "Jurassic Park IV".

"Jurassic Park IV": The dinosaurs from Isla Sorna swim to the Costa Rican mainland. Grant and Malcolm join a squad of US Marines as they are sent to contain the dinosaurs before they spread further. When the operation goes to hell, the US military ends up nuking Isla Sorna as a last resort. However, it is too late: the final shot reveals that there are still dinosaurs in the Costa Rican jungles and migrating northward towards the US. This all leads to...

"Jurassic Park V": The final film in the series. The dinosaurs have migrated to the US, threatening mankind. The US military and a team of experts are trying to stop them, to no avail. We could see the dinosaurs make their way from the rural areas, culminating in the dinosaurs attacking a major American city. In the end, however, maybe the dinosaurs all die by becoming exposed to modern viruses they have no immunity to, like the Martians in "The War of the Worlds".

I think that would be a way to drag two more money-making sequels out of the JP franchise, while still having an interesting storyline that expands upon the previous films.

-Dubya Fett

25. SithLord33

Mar 16, 2001
    I'm not as anxious as some to see a dinos get to the mainland scenario. I do want to see it, it would be cool if the last movie was dedicated to that. But I personally still want to see some good old fashioned running through the forest, especially if it were to be Nublar.

I've always thought one interesting idea would be to focus on the story of the making of Jurassic Park and the genetics. A prequel to all three movies, showing how Hammond got the whole thing started. It would probably have to involve some sort of industrial intrigue to be exciting, but there could be some troubles with the dinosaurs that would cause some action scenes. They could also explain the presence of the Spino, and we could get an earlier look at a working Site B facility, before it all went to hell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.