main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jurassic Park IV?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Dubya_Fett, Jul 23, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi_one_and_only

Obi_one_and_only Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 18, 2001
    Good idea Dubya_Fett!

But Isla Nublar has few dinosaur spp and we've seen all. I really want to see some fight carniv-herbiv.
    If no seqquel is made,then we can all gather together and create our own movie!
    :)

2. Rimkar

Rimkar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 23, 1999
    I wouldn't mind Billy becoming the central character for JP4...

3. JediAaron

JediAaron Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 9, 2001
    I heard there is going to be 6 of them.

4. Dubya_Fett

Dubya_Fett Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 2, 2001
    I remember reading that William H. Macy and Tea Leoni wanted their JP3 characters, Paul and Linda Kirby, to appear in JP4.

That made me think of a line in JP3 where one of the Kirbys says that the dinosaurs better not come to their hometown in Oklahoma. If JP4 does feature dinosaurs running loose in the United States, maybe we'll get a cameo of the Kirbys' house being attacked?

-Dubya Fett

5. Ozzel

Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff star 5 VIP

May 14, 2001
    That's Enid, Oklahoma. ;) I've been there. It's a pretty small town.

I can't quite picture dinosaurs stomping through Enid. If 4 was about that, it would be a stupid, mindless film, disgracing the first 2.

Wait a sec...the that was the 3rd one!

Okay. :)

6. Darth Rayder

Darth Rayder Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 1999
    As for the dinos not on the InGen list.... a lot of the promotional materials indicated evolution...could that be the case? At the end of the first book, the dinosaurs which escaped the island learned to adapt to eating lysine-rich foods in order to survive rather quickly. Could it be possible that Isla Sorna has become a sight where evolution and adaptation is occurring rapidly?

7. Dubya_Fett

Jun 2, 2001
    DARTH RAYDER: The evolution theory doesn't really fly. The spinosaur is an actual species of dinosaur, not some mutant t-rex cooked up by the filmmakers. Even if the dinosaurs could quickly mutate thanks to In Gen tinkering with their DNA, why would they mutate into an unrelated dinosaur? Some of the velociraptors may have had feathered crests on their heads because they were males, and used their plumage to attract females like many birds do. It could be suggested that the velociraptors we saw without feathers were all females (this makes sense, as all the dinosaurs bred by In Gen were originally female before they spontaneously switched gender because of that frog DNA malarky).

I think at one point in the scriptwriting process for JP3 there may have been a bit explaining the presence of the spinosaur and any genetic tampering surrounding the velociraptors. Perhaps there were clandestine cloning experiments by In Gen or the US government which were abandoned. Anyway, the original script for JP3 was described as too complex and unwieldy, with half of the film set on Isla Sorna and the other half taking place on the mainland. A few days before shooting was too begin, the script was completely rewritten to focus only on the Isla Sorna half of the story. The explanation of the spinosaur's presence may have been one of those bits that ended up on the cutting room floor, or perhaps the filmmakers left JP3 open-ended so that some of the loose plot points could be explored in JP4.

I still think JP4 will feature some of the dinosaurs getting off the island (the spinosaur could swim, the pteranodons could fly, and some of the smaller dinosaurs could make it to shore on natural rafts). Then the plot could focus on the US military trying to contain the dinosaurs before they spread to the United States. Grant proclaimed that velociraptors instead of humans may have become Earth's dominant species if they did not die out. Maybe JP4 will see Grant's theory come close to a horrifying reality.

-Dubya Fett

8. Ozzel

Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff star 5 VIP

May 14, 2001
    I just can't look forward to JP4. JP3 just lost that...magic...of the first two films. It's just not the same. The 3rd one was just too...corny.

:(

9. Darth Rayder

Darth Rayder Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 1999
    Didn't the spinosaur come about during one of the later periods? I could be wrong.

10. Old_Brown_Shoe

Old_Brown_Shoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 23, 2001
    Speaking as a well-informed dinosaur fan, and leaving aside issues of accuracy for the moment, a couple of thoughts:

1. The only other really big theropods we haven't seen in action are the carcharodontosaurs, from Africa and South America. They're supposed to be equivalent in length and mass to classic T. rex, but they don't look a whole lot different. The skull's longer, thinner, and otherwise shaped different, but I don't know if an audience would be able to distinguish them on sight, unless the film-makers decided to make them bright red or something (and then people might think they're males and females). So, we're probably stuck with T. rex and the spinosaur for really big carnivores.

2. I'd love to see some of the better-armed herbivores in action. We had a bit of Triceratops and Stegosaurus action in TLW, but I certainly wouldn't mind a Triceratops stampede like was suggested on the other page. Armored dinosaurs are also a must; we've just gotta see an Ankylosaurus use that big tail club on a predator or a person before they make the last movie (but then again, wasn't JPIII the first time we got to see the velociraptors' killer claws in action?), or maybe a nodosaur could use shoulder spines. Maybe one of the big sauropods could get teed off...

JP just never lets the herbivores fully show off their stuff (granted, the carnivores are something!); but it would be great to have an Ankylosaurus or Triceratops really deck some non-essential character(s) in the next one.

11. Dubya_Fett

Jun 2, 2001
    OLD BROWN SHOE: I agree, give us some more of the herbivores in action, or a scene where a herbivore fends off a carnivore attack. Not only is it something we haven't seen ad nauseum in the previous films, but it would reinforce the feel that a real prehistoric ecosystem exists on Isla Sorna.

I have a great idea involving a predator spooking a large triceratops herd, with the human heroes' jeep caught in the middle as the triceratopses stampede towards a cliff. And since recent findings suggest that the larger predators may have hunted in packs like the velociraptors, imagine a scene with a half dozen tyrannosaurs attacking a group of giant sauropods, trying to pick off the young, old, and weak.

Personally, I find the "Jurassic Park" films' emphasis on the carnivorous dinosaurs kind of tiresome. Despite some differences in size and a few physical peculiaraties, the carnivores are basically of the same two-armed, two-legged design (maybe this makes the animators' work easier). The procompsognathids look like mini-velociraptors, and the spinosaurs look like tyrannosaurs with longer arms, a sail fin, and a crocodile-like snout. I loved the pteranodons in JP3 because they were something I had not seen before.

Herbivores vastly outnumbered carnivores amongst dinosaurs, so it makes since there should be more herbivores on Isla Sorna (If there isn't, the warm-blooded carnivores would eventually wipe out the herbivores, causing the island's ecosystem to collapse. Actually, that could be a good plot point for a film, showcasing the futility of man trying to recreate nature.). The herbivore dinosaurs were majestic, impressive creatures that came in a huge variety of forms. I don't care if they don't eat people, seeing a herd of angry triceratopses running toward me would make me nervous.

P.S.: George is my favourite Beatle.

-Dubya Fett

12. Old_Brown_Shoe

Old_Brown_Shoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 23, 2001
    Dubya Fett: I like the Triceratops herd idea; maybe to spice it up, though, they could use Styracosaurus? They would be smaller, but then you'd have the spiky frill and one <long>, straight nasal horn.

I'd love to see a whole ecosystem myself, but these are basically action movies, where people are menaced by dinosaurs, so the best places to go to see more rounded presentations are those Discovery Channel prehistoric life shows (you know, "Walking With Dinosaurs" and the others?), which, unfortunately, aren't quite as nice (and I though JP III was a bit of a slip, too; I can remember seeing the original movie, and I don't think I felt that any of the tyrannosaur action looked like a movie effect. But that's another issue, and we've all got our own views on the quality of the effects).

Long live George!

13. Chris2

Chris2 Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 11, 1998
    I don't see what the big deal is about the Raptor's appearence being changed. They looked different in TLW too! To use another example, the Aliens in the Alien movies kept changing with each installment. The first one had a smooth, somewhat translucent head; the ones in Aliens had big, spiny heads; the Alien 3 one had a smooth head and was smaller, and in Alien:Ressurection they were similar to the original...
    Anyway, here's what I'd like to see in JP3...Biosyn, the company who hired Nedry to steal the embryos in JP3. Since they're unable to use the dinosaurs in any kind of legit commercial enterprise, they work out a plan to transport a number of them to the United States so they can not only sell them to center interested parties, and also use their DNA to breed more creatures for other purposes. Of course, things don't go as planned, and the Dinos escape in the jungles of South America. The army soon finds out and sends marines out there, as well as a group of advisors composed of the survivors from the previous films, mostly the paleontologists(Grant, Ellie, Sarah, Billy) and Malcolm. Lex now runs Ingen and serves as their advisor. The military attempts to make an attempt to capture some of the dinos, but this fails utterly. Only the advisors and a group of military officers survive, and figure they have to make it to civilization to warn everyone else...(but they're being tracked by Raptors, that's the problem)..Biosyn also makes an effort to retrieve the dinos, hiring Roland Tembo. Here's some of my ideas for action scenes...

-Have the Dilophosaurs(From the first film) return. Have them be much larger too...

-Show us a showdown between the T-rex and the Triceratops. The Triceratops has been woefully underused. It was immobile in the first film, only was seen for a second in the second, and was seen in the third film only from a distance.

-Plesiosaurs would be interesting(I thought they should have used the plesiosaurs for the river scene in JP3, personally)

-A scene involving a group of native villagers encountering the Raptors

14. Dubya_Fett

Jun 2, 2001
    William H. Macy and Tea Leoni said they would like to come back in "Jurassic Park IV". I have an idea how.

After being rescued by the U.S. military in JP3, Grant, Billy, and the Kirbys are detained in a compound in the Costa Rican mainland for questioning. Grant and Billy become suspicious about the spinosaur's presence on Isla Sorna, since it was not on InGen's official list. Grant and the rest eventually learn that the US government is secretly cloning dinosaurs on Isla Sorna. They use the quarantine on the island to prevent anyone from finding out. Ellie Satler's husband's job is actually being the liaison between the U.S. and Costa Rican governments on the top secret project.

Grant, Billy, and the Kirbys learn they are to be held indefinitely and everyone back home thinks they are dead. But all hell breaks loose when the dinosaurs manage to reach the Costa Rican mainland and attack the compound. Grant, Billy, and the Kirbys join U.S. marines in a fight not only to survive, but keep the dinosaurs from spreading. During the action, Ellie's husband gets killed. Grant returns to America, rekindles his romance with Ellie, and exposes the U.S. governments clandestine experiments to the public. To stop the further spread of the dinosaurs, the U.S. military nukes Isla Sorna. But the final shot of "Jurassic Park IV" shows a hatching velociraptor nest in the Costa Rican jungle. Some of the dinosaurs have secretly survived on the mainland and the stage is set for the final film in the series, "Jurassic Park V", with the United States being overrun by dinosaurs and mankind fighting for survival. The only problem with this idea is that Trevor Morgan may be too old by then to play the Kirby's son Eric.

-Dubya Fett

15. Spiderdevil

Spiderdevil Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 20, 2000
    Well, it's damned inventive, I'll give you that.

16. Mr_Farenheit

Mr_Farenheit Jedi Youngling

Feb 18, 2002
    the reason why there was new dinos, was because in-gen didnt know what kind of species they were preading.

only way to know was wate until dinos were big enough for identification

at least in the books it was like that.

17. Mal'a San

Mal'a San Jedi Master star 4

Jun 11, 2000
    I wanna see a Trisicloplots! ;)

18. GBJackson2002

GBJackson2002 Jedi Youngling

Mar 9, 2002
    Here's my concept for JP4:

John Hammond, the mastermind behind Jurassic Park has died, leaving his legacy to the care of his two now-grown grandchildren. In the time between Jp2 and 4, Hammond had regained control if InGen with with the disaster his nephew Peter Ludlow brought about as proof of irresponsibility, but with his death, the board of directors advise the sale of Sites A and B as-is to the highest bidder.

Enter BioSyn corporation and the return of Lewis Dodgeson as the antagonists...

The problem is that, according to the information passed to Lex and Tim from their grandfather, there is still a fully functional laboratory below ground on Site B containing information and materials which must never be exposed. With the sale of the islands looming on the horison, Lex must use all the corporate weight she can muster to stall the process while Tim leads an expedition to the Island to recover the records and destroy the labs before BioSyn can lay claim to it.

Sabbotage of the mission results in the stranding of the expedition and the death of several its members. Tim is severely wounded.

Lex, meanwhile is hacking into bank records researching the financial trail of BioSyn to prove that the funds they claim to have were obtained illegally. She becomes involved with the computer engineer assisting her (who is actually a Dennis Nedry-type who has been bought out by BioSyn.)

I would like to see the battles fought both on the island against the dinosaurs and in the states in the InGen board room against the suits who are about to hand a potentially deadly genetic secret to a dangerously irresponsible organization:

The descovery of genetic agents which could yield biological weapons based on prehistoric chemicals which no conventional antitoxins can counteract. Hammond was a venture capitolist, afer all. He once believed that the Dinosaur park would be a lucrative business, but he also considered medical research using dinosaur' biological tissues to be a potential yielder of marketable knowledge if made available to the medical communities.

I believe that a plot like this allows for the return of our favorite dinos, but with a good reason for our heroic human snacks to be back on the island.

Opinions?

19. Superty88

Superty88 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 19, 2002
    jurassic park was a GREAT moive. JP2 was uh pretty good. JP3.........ACK!*drops to floor* After that stinker i dont think they should make another it would just weaken the great moive even more. Remeber Batman and Robin the moive it was so you know what forget it you know where im coming from.

20. PaDmE-GuRl

PaDmE-GuRl Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 8, 2002
    I think each time they do one It gets chezzyer and chezzyer.

21. General

General Jedi Youngling

Mar 18, 2002
    If they make a JP4 I hope they bring in the water Dinosaurs besides the land & air ones. I want to see all kinds.

22. Mal'a San

Mal'a San Jedi Master star 4

Jun 11, 2000
    I actually had an idea about JP4 a while ago, it centered around the idea that someone (Sarah? Billy?) is contacted to lead a group to set up survailance equipment on the island, so they can watch the dinosaurs, they get into all sorts of trouble but the equipment is set up successfully, then at the end Hammond dies and is buried on the island.

23. kampilan

kampilan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    I think a Space Cowboys + BlackHawk Down/Magnificent Seven/Seven Samurai + Lost World =

Jurassic Park IV would be awesome.

It can be like Dino Crisis but preferably without female leads. Maybe a failed secret rescue or recon op gone bad. I have an idea of a space shuttle making one of them "Isaac Newton Law" scenarios: The craft (US and Intrnational crew with some females)makes an emergency re-entry and is forced to land on one of the sites. The US sends out a rescue team but the UN doesn't know its a military spec ops. Hey, we're talking about the US Space Shuttle here! Newton's Law again happens and the Tri-service team(made up of Army Delta, Navy SEALS, and Air Force CCTs) is left to fend for themselevs for a while until politics gets settled. All this time the world doesnt know the exact locale of the crash site, even CNN. A diversion rescue team actually go out and pretends to do a large op in the South American waters along with a small Navy fleet and Marines.
    A Dino movie with the military, done right, has got to be a blockbuster. I don't really want any of the Special Forces guys die but we can get them hurt like in Executive Decision. The tag line: "Survival of the Fittest" the unused line for JPIII. who wants to see SEALS against Raptors, hand to hand?! Actually, knife to claw...

24. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    I felt that Jurassic Park III should have ended the series...you know..kept it a sequel thing. Adding a fourth film just seems like they are just milking it big time.

-HOWEVER-

Me being a JP fan and all, I can't wait. I mean, a trilogy thing would have been better, but there are still many plot points left unanswered, and I don't know about you guys, but I want to see Alan and Ellie back together again! ;)

25. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    There is another reason the T-Rex was replaced by the Spinosaurus as the main baddie. The scientist who was the advisor to the film makers is a fella by the name of Horner. He is a very repected paleontologist. He is an advocate of the T-Rex NOT being the aggressive animal we have all grown up with. Horner himself admitted as a child his toy T-Rex ate the other toy dinos when he played with them.

But he has become(with some proof, but not totally convincing yet) very pasionate about the T-Rex being a scavenger rather than a hunter, and a VERY bad fighter. This is why we see the Rex get his butt kicked by the spinosaurus.

I agree the T-Rex would get old after awhile, but there are plenty of monsters out there to make more films.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.