main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jurassic Park IV?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Dubya_Fett, Jul 23, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    There's another theory I have about JP3.

Spielberg and Johnston are very close friends. You think that Spielberg would let him direct the third one with the little plot it had? Well, maybe he did. But here's what I think. I think there is MUCH more going on in JP3 than meets the eye.

This may sound silly at first, but it does work:

Billy.

Ah yes, Grant's "apprentice" if you will. He was up to something on the island. Taking pictures of the embryo tanks, stealing velociraptor eggs, MANAGING to be rescued by the military EVEN THOUGH the pteranodons chased him DOWNSTREAM meaning that Grant and Co. would have beat Billy to the shore.

Fishy? Very. It may be a plot hole, but I'm thinking Billy had a transmitter with him. Think about it. He was so anxious to get on the island. When Paul asked Grant to go with them to dinner, Billy basically made up Grant's mind for him.

"Sure, we'd love to."

"Ah that's terrific."

Not only that, but about the raptor egg thing...uh, right. You don't steal dinosaur eggs to sell to someone on the mainland. He told Grant he was going to get money from them for profit for thier research, but who's he to sell them to? A museum? What would happen if the eggs hatched in the museum? Sure, they could inject a formula into the egg to kill the animal, but still.

I just didn't believe that at all. Also, I remember the actors saying that Steven was NEVER on set, and that his absence really weirded them out. I think that Spielberg pretty much told Joe to throw in a character that would end up being an agent for INGEN or something, maybe to tie on with JP4. Spielberg said he has a great idea for the next one, better than the original. I just think there was more to Billy than meets the eye.

Could I be wrong? Oh, definetly. I even doubt there is that much to it. But it would have been smart of the scriptwriters and it would definetly add a cool twist to the next one.

2. kampilan

kampilan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    I still wanna see Navy SEALs vs Raptors...knives vs claws when it comes down to it...
    Survival of the Fittest

3. a_beautiful_mind_4

a_beautiful_mind_4 Jedi Youngling

Jul 11, 2002
    Jurassic Park IV will not be the end because steven said he will make 7 Jurassic Park movies. a lot of movies for a single suject.

4. Tho Yor

Tho Yor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    7 movies?!

There isn't enough story material in them for 5!

Well, years before the real Jurassic Park III came out I set out to write my own story about it. It still involved Malcolm and the cast of TLW.

Basically, they find out that John Hammond was a big gambler and lost a lot of money to some other entrepeneur, and never paid him what he was due. In the books, Hammond died in the first one, and this was a continuation of the books, so he was dead in this. Because he was in debt to this other guy, the other man had the right to take his assets as if they're his own - ie the dinosaurs on Isla Sorna. So he ships em off to another of the Five Deaths, which he owns.
    Malcolm finds out about this through Hammond's accounts. Now I think I had the military mount a mission to Sorna and find out that the dinosaurs are mysteriously not there anymore. That's because this other guy has nabbed them.

Make of it what you will, it's just fanfic I guess. I wasn't too pleased with the real JP3 though. Only the Grant-Raptor discussion scene was worthy.

5. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    I thought JP3 was just as good as the other two, but the ending was kind of a let-down. The Spinosaur battle in the water was great, but then the raptors and Marines were kind of lame.

But if Spielberg wants to take thenext movie in "a different direction", I will go see it, because the JP movies were never about deep plots and such, they were about fun and adventure.

6. E_Chuta

E_Chuta Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 30, 2002
    I love epic, winding, stories with character drama, romance, and redemption, but sometimes I like seeing dinosaurs eat people better. JP3 sucked. I saw the previews, and thought, "Finally! I get to see a Tyranosaur's jaws snap a man's skull, while pterydactyls fight over the carrion!" Instead I got to see William H. Macy and Tea Leoni reconcile their marriage. If they do make a JP4, which is pretty much a given, I hope they at least go for a gory human dismemberment at the hands (or is it claws?) of a dino, if only for one scene.

7. Zaphod Beeblebrox

Zaphod Beeblebrox Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 26, 1999
    Hey! Look what I found ;)

8. eclipseSD

eclipseSD Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    Hey! Where did you come from? You thread you!

:p

JP-30, or any mod for that matter, you can lock my previous thread.

So anyways..........

From comingsoon.com: Sam Neill was in Queenstown, New Zealand recently and 'Mark' got to speak him about the fourth 'Jurassic' flick: "Yeah, Steven Spielberg and his people are quite busy prepping another one. There is a chance you'll see me in it. I'm as surprised as anyone, because I didn't think there was any way they could get Alan Grant involved again. But they came up with a clever idea. Steven just blew me away with the story....something frightening is happening concerning those dinosaurs that doesn't necessarily bode well for us humans. Scientists never seem to learn". What sort of tone can we expect? "You know that feeling when you first saw the original film, and you were so in awe, and felt so swept away and mesmerized by the sheer majesty of it all? I believe this premise has the potential to elicit that same kind of response. Out of all the concepts that've been created for these movies, this is possibly my favorite".

9. Old_Brown_Shoe

Old_Brown_Shoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 23, 2001
    From the paleo front, there have been finds of small dromaeosaur ("raptor")-like dinosaurs that may have been able to fly (Cryptovolans especially), and in Madagascar there's something similar (Rahonavis). The JP people have done a lot with "raptors" already; could the next movie see small flying types?

(it's just kind of cool to think about; think of a hawk with teeth, hand claws, and those big sickle claws on the feet. It wouldn't be able to fly as well, but still...)

10. Storm2904

Storm2904 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 15, 2002
    If anyone read The Lost World, there was one intriguing plot point left out of the movie. Is it a clue to the premise behind JP IV?

In the book, Malcolm (or Harding?) stumbles upon a chameleon dinosaur hiding behind a shed. Crichton infers that InGen may be up to more than just dinosaurs - perhaps breeding mutations.

I'm guessing InGen - or some other bioengineering firm - will use the island for cloning other species. Perhaps even humans. They can get away with this because the UN has blockaded the island. The only known persons on the island are paleontologists and other scientists. They are there to study (eg. think Antarctica) and are oblivious to the continuing bioengineering work.

11. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 27, 1999
    I think they should discover that not only was InGen creating extinct dinosaurs, but also other extinct species from different eras such as wooly mammoths, or really pissed off(and strong) primitive cavemen. That could be really creepy.

12. eclipseSD

eclipseSD Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    AICN provides more news:

Right now, the majority of mail that I get regarding JURASSIC PARK 4 is along the lines of ?Do we really need this?? Personally, I?m always up for watching giant dinosaurs eat stupid humans, but I do agree that the series seems to be creatively running in circles.
    Still, as we get new info, we?ll run it, and we?ve got two tidbits today to help clarify what is going on over at Universal these days...

First up is ?Brand Echh,? who went to see Jack Horner speak recently, and has this report as a result:

Harry, or whom it may concern,

If you must give me a name, call me Brand Echh, people who know me will know me, anyway, I attended Jack Horner's lecture "T-rex Predator or Scavanger: The Killing of a Legend" at the University of Texas at Brownsville and Texas Southmost College (UTB/TSC). Fun presentation, he made fun of the local college administration and made some thinnly-vielled jokes about his fellow paleontologists (like Robert Bakker).

For those who don't know, Horner was the technical adviser on Jurassic Park and it's sequels. Before the end of the night, in a q-and-a period, a friend of mine asked him about Jurassic Park 4. He said, "I've already done some work on it" but he added, "I suspect it is going to veer off in a direction that is a bit less scientific, so I'll probably only work on it for a little bit."

He suggested that he might have an experience similar to the one he had working on Disney's Dinosaur. He said, "I worked on that until the dinosaurs started to talk."

We tried to ask him later to be a bit more specific, but he declined saying he'd been instructed not to say anything.

Nothing mind-blowing, but an interesting tid-bit none-the-less I think.

Hmmm... this next guy sent me a letter to correct the report that ran last week in which the reader said they spoke to Sam Neill about his involvement in the sequel. This person?s definitely in a position to know if that is true or not, so it?s worth listening to what they have to say...
    I?ve been a great admire of your work for some time, and I still think the way you got a hold of Anthony Hopkins On the Howard Stern show was very ingenious. I do take issue with some of the bad reporting I have seen on your site recently, and I figure that I could correct you on an story that originally ran on the Dark Horizons site and a couple of others before appearing on your site.

Sam Neill is not going to appear in Jurassic Park 4, and I do know this for a fact. I know that Sam Neill?s Character is not in the current script for the film. How do I know that? I can?t give that away, but I will give you a hint. The story will involve the United Nations, and the extermination of the dinosaurs. I can't give any more with out blowing my cover.

Da-Da.

13. Newsfop

Newsfop Jedi Youngling

Oct 21, 2002
    So then how would you explain the most recent updates to Upcoming Attractions from Corona?

http://www.corona.bc.ca/films/details/jp4.html

November 5, 2002... Dark Horizons uncovered the next puzzle piece in what Jurassic Park IV could be about. Speaking to the assembled press in Queenstown, New Zealand, actor Sam Neill said "Yeah, Steven Spielberg and his people are quite busy prepping another one. There is a chance you'll see me in it. I'm as surprised as anyone, because I didn't think there was any way they could get Alan Grant involved again. But they came up with a clever idea. Steven just blew me away with the story....something frightnening is happening concerning those dinosaurs that doesn't necessarily bode well for us humans. Scientists never seem to learn."

Neill seemed really sold on whatever this secret new direction for the fourth Jurassic movie would take. "You know that feeling when you first saw the original film, and you were so in awe, and felt so swept away and mesmerised by the sheer majesty of it all? I believe this premise has the potential to elicit that same kind of response. Out of all the concepts that've been created for these movies, this is possibly my favorite."

Now we're really curious to know what it's all about! [Originally appeared on Dark Horizons.]

November 7, 2002... Screenwriter William Monahan is hired to write the screenplay for Jurassic Park 4. Monahan's last project was writing the script for Tripoli, an 18th century drama that Ridley Scott is attached to direct. Kathleen Kennedy will continue to serve as the franchise's producer. No details concerning the third sequel's storyline were made available. We have now moved this project into the script stage of development. [Sources: The Hollywood Reporter, Variety.]

14. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    The Jurassic Park franchise had reached it's end.

15. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    Here just my thoughts. I have watched all the Jurassic Park movies and read both novels. I like all the Jurassic Park movies.

1.Jurassic Park
    2.Jurassic Park 3
    3.The Lost World.

Novels

1.The Lost World
    2.Jurassic Park

My idea for JP4 is quite similar to some of the ideas all ready on this board. Mainly seeing Marines and dinosaurs fighting it out.

I would tie up two specific plot holes from the films.First the shaving cream can.Do you think Biosyn( i hope thats right i haven't read the books in a while.) would place all of there hope with Denis Nerdy. A man who looks like he will have a heart attack any moment.The should have some sort of back up plan.Dodson said that the can whould keep the embryos cold for 48? 72? hours. Biosyn has placed a tracker within the can to follow it's where abouts.

Nerdy is killed and the can is lost. After everybody has left the island the next day, Biosyn sends in it's team to retrive the can.They take it back to their research lab.

Biosyn devoleps dinos in secret.After the San Diego disater Biosyn learns of Site B. and the facilities there. When the T-Rex and baby are sent back to the island Biosyn has spies already on the boat with the dinos.Biosyn pays the Costa Ricain goverment to look the other way as Biosyn moves into secret labs on Site B. There they create the Spino and other new dinos.

The idea about Billy being a spie for Biosyn might work. Prehasp he keeps the others from finding the secret labs.

Anyhoo Dr. Grant investigates with the help of Malcom where the Spino came from. They talk with Hammod and goverment officials. Talking with the Costa Rician goverment they discover that Dr. Satler's husband has know of the Biosyn operation all along and has been covering it up from the US goverment. The dinos escape and reach the Costa Rica coast while Grant and Malcom are there. They alert the US goverment who send in the marines to destroy the escaped dinos and to distroy the islands. From there you have an exciting movie as the marines fight the dinos and Grant and Malcom try to find the secret Biosyn labs on the island.

Another plot hole? In Lost World they say that the T-Rex killed everybody on the boat.
    Then how did the T-Rex get into the control room of the ship kill everybody but not damage the inside of the room?

It could not have been the baby rex because it was brought back on a helicopter. Was it the rex? Was it raptors that no one new about or compys that no one new about.Does anybody have an anwser?

16. Gobi-1

Dec 22, 2002
    Just watched Jurassic Park again. The shaving cream can stays cool for 36 hours.Still enough time for somebody to retrive it.

17. Kast_Morben

Kast_Morben Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 18, 2001
    A bit off tangent but does anyone have a synopsis of the Jurassic Park comic they released following the first film. It involved a return to Isla Nublar and the survival of Bob Peck's character (I think!).

I could be totally off track though ...

18. Gobi-1

Dec 22, 2002
    Unlocking thread.

19. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Whoops, sorry!

20. LordSilvertouch

LordSilvertouch Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2003
    Hey, just to make the point I made in the other (now locked) thread, it seems that Jurassic Park 4 and Indy 4 may well be going into production at about the same time, and there will be definite overlap. Now while Spielberg will almost certainly be directeind Indy and just producing Jurassic Park, does anyone think that one or both will be affected by his having to pay attention to both?

I'm sure he could handle both at the same time, but he sure does love a quick turn around, going from scripting to a theatrical release often in under a year. If this is the case for both films (Indy will likely have minimal VFX) will he be stretched too thin?

21. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    I think the films (if indeed Dern can be trusted) are not contemporareous. JP IV is probably slated for 2009 or 2010.

22. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Speilberg frequently has multiple projects in the works simultaneously.

23. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    I'm sure he could handle both at the same time, but he sure does love a quick turn around, going from scripting to a theatrical release often in under a year. If this is the case for both films (Indy will likely have minimal VFX) will he be stretched too thin? ... I think the films (if indeed Dern can be trusted) are not contemporareous. JP IV is probably slated for 2009 or 2010.

Even if they are almost simultaneous productions it, Spielberg has done it before. Interestingly before in 93 when he directed both Jurassic Park and Schindler's List.There's also 2005 with War of the Worlds and Munich for example.

24. LadyoftheMandalore

LadyoftheMandalore Jedi Master star 4

Mar 28, 2007
    I heard a few years ago that the studios were going to almost completely ignore the existance of Jurassic Park III when they made the fourth one. I think fans were so angry with the atrocious piece they got that it was just to be discounted for the purpose of all sequels.

Otherwise, as long as they have a big-time director like Speilberg, not just a "Speilberg presents" gimmick, I think it would at least do the Jurassic Park series justice.

I, for one, will be looking forward to its release.

25. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    Well, it's not like really contributed much to the plot for them to ignore. It was pretty much a standalone piece in most regards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.