main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jurassic Park

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by jedi_john_33, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jesina_Dreis

Jesina_Dreis Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2004
    That fits well, though, with his role in the 3rd movie. Allen didn't want to be there and had lost a lot in his first experience with Jurassic Park.

2. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    I liked the first two, well most of the second one. The last two started to get a little old school 'Godzilla invading the city' for me. I honsetly think they should've only made the one. Oftentimes if sequels aren't so good, they can tarnish an otherwise beloved film.

3. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    I think it'd be cool if they let Peter Jackson make the fourth one - I liked the dinos in Kong. :D

4. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    I'd like to see a Jurassic Park film showing what happened to the island in The Lost World, that caused the compound to be abandoned.

5. Andalite-Bandit

Andalite-Bandit Jedi Padawan star 6

Apr 25, 2005
    I was in 2nd grade when Jurassic Park came out, and it is among the first movies I can remember seeing in theaters. Excellent movie! I don't have much of a problem with the second one, it was entertaining. The third one I don't like very much. They good have made a really good film using the smart raptor premise, but they didn't! And Spinosaurus beating the T-Rex, what!?

6. Jesina_Dreis

Nov 8, 2004
    I actually remember seeing one of them in theaters; can't remember which one. I just remember jumping out of my seat when a raptor stuck his head under the wall of a hut. *shakes head* I feel like an idiot; canNOT place that scene.

7. Andalite-Bandit

Andalite-Bandit Jedi Padawan star 6

Apr 25, 2005
    That's Jurassic Park 2, when the raptors have chased Ian, his daughter, and that girl into a wooden building of some sort.

8. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    Yeah, I've only seen the first one. Always thought the next two would be kind of hokey. But I do think to truely experience the first flim you should see it on the Big screen.

~PK~

9. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    It should be re-released in cinemas.

10. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    Near my parent's house, there is this theater that was originally built to show the mt. st. helens eruption and after a couple winters, they got the idea to show regular movies during the non-tourist season. Jurassic Park played there, and the screen is HUGE. And it was so damn cool seeing it there.

11. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    You are most fortunate.

12. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    The first one is a classic. The computer animation was just awesome at the time and still holds up today. Hell, we wouldn't have the prequels if Jurassic Park hadn't been made according to George.

Though the book and movie have alot of differences, I like the movie version better.

Lost World was okay. I thought the ending needed work.

Jurassic Park III sucked. I hated the new dinosaur beating the T-Rex.

13. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    The books are better, but do seem to suffer from the same problems: 1 was very good, 2 was good, but, meh...

Malcolm is the best character, in books and movies.

Hammond was changed drastically, from a mean old man into a kindly British grandfather.

Roland Tembo was fun, but unnecessary.

All in all, the changes made from book to movie were well done, if not very wise moves.

14. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    the one question i have about JP2 is how did the crew on the boat carrying the T-Rex all die? this really bugs me. just like how we don't know how the egg gets on board the sulaco in Alien 3

15. Duro_Blade

Duro_Blade Jedi Master star 3

Jan 4, 2002
    Jurassic Park's visuals do stand the test of time, and they do a damn good job of it. I was impressed when I recently went back to watch the first film. It really is amazing. In a recent interview with Steven, he said for Jurassic Park 4 he plans to go back and re-read the original book, to get new ideas. As someone else mentioned, this would be a great idea. Hopefully, if a 4 does happen, it isn't as God awful as 3. [face_plain]

16. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Ah, Jurassic Park. [face_love]

I once did a Top Ten list a while back, with one honorable mention, and I hit myself on the head for forgetting to include this one as another honorable mention, maybe even on my list itself.

Jurassic Park was the one and only movie that I had my "kiddie-frightened" experience with. I didn't see it in theaters (too young) but when my dad got it on laser disc, we immediately watched it w/ the fam and had the grandparents over. I remember being totally immersed and enjoyed the fact that there were kids my age in it. Then came the stormy night with the two colorful cars waiting outside the T-Rex paddock.

If I'd known the words back then, I would've said "Holy ****" when the T-Rex came stomping into view. My heart was already beating like a drummer in a rock band after the goat's leg splatted on the Explorer. I hadn't seen something like that before. Then came the dino and I immediately proceeded to spin around in my chair and bury my face in the cushion. My ears took in with growing dread the sounds of the car turning over, the kids yelling, the T-Rex roaring, all that, and I never looked around once. My grandma kept trying to comfort me and tell me all the T-Rex was doing was playing around with the car, but I was just too goshdarned scared.

17. SkottASkywalker

SkottASkywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    the one question i have about JP2 is how did the crew on the boat carrying the T-Rex all die? this really bugs me.

In the first book the raptors were getting off the island by getting on a ship(s) without anyone knowing. I would think that was what happened and that happening near the end of THE LOST WORLD would be a good set up for a sequel covering the raptors getting off the island(s) and making it to the United States and or anywhere else. Didn't happen in JURASSIC PARK III. Hasn't happened, yet.

18. Jesina_Dreis

Nov 8, 2004
    Grazi.

That was the first scene in a movie to get that sort of reaction out of me.

19. raisedbywolves

raisedbywolves Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 1, 2005
    Hi everyone *waves*

The first Jurassic Park is a favorite of mine, too. Classic Spielberg in his "If I could cattle-prod the audience to get a reaction out of them, I'd do that too" (he actually said something like that once!) mode. The scene that occurs to me off the top of my head is when the two kids are pigging out at the buffet, and the girl suddenly pauses with a spoonful of Jello, you see the Jello shaking because her hand is shaking with fear. So many great moments like that in the film!

I loved dinosaurs as a little kid, from their mysterious extinction to those wacky Latin names. Troodon - a raptor relative - was my fave dinosaur, ever since I was like four. Because of that and because I hate seeing animals in cages, I always have this weird shift in sympathies while watching the movie. On one hand, I feel terrible for the people, of course. But come on. If somebody stuck *you* in a little electrified cage with like 20 of your siblings, and you had pencil-length claws, wouldn't you be ready to [face_beatup] when you got out?

Ridiculous I know 8-} But if I got to make Jurassic Park 4, it would totally be about some Jane-Goodall-like scientist, kickin' it with the raptors in the jungle.

20. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Yeah usually I'd be down about the presence of kids in a film film this... but what it allowed us to do was essentially see the dinosaurs for the first time twice. Once through the eyes of the 'experts' and once through the eyes of the kids.

EDIT: And another thought about the kids. The fat annoying kid at the start who gets 'owned' by Dr. Grant is in stark contrast to Hammond's grandchildren. When we meet the fat annoying kid, he's got nothing but contempt for the dig and Dr. Grant's theories and profession, but Tim just wants to talk about that stuff over and over again.

21. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    Love the movie and its main theme done by John Williams. Unlike many I enjoyed both part I and III. Mind you the last one isn't great quality wise but its a good popcorn flick :) The second movie is meh though.

22. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    The sequence when the helicopter approaches the Island and then descends down to the helipad - to magnificent John Williams accompaniment - is epic.

23. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Yeah, and only Williams can make a helicopter landing seem epic. :p

I like the music when Grant and co. first see the dinosaurs. :eek:

24. Whitey

Whitey Jedi Master star 6

Jan 26, 2003
    I love all 3. As long as dinosaurs are killing people, I'm happy.

There's 3 things I must say, though:

1)The raptors in the first movie are a bit dated.
    2)I actually liked Malcom's daughter. She's not a bad actress.
    3)I thought the Kirby's were funny... still annoying, but funny. It makes me smile when Téa Léoni says, "You drive 5 miles under the speed limit, Paul... and I've totaled 3 cars in 3 years."

25. -Phoenix-

-Phoenix- Jedi Master star 5

Oct 21, 2005

And for a fish, that's quite impressive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.