main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jurassic Park

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by jedi_john_33, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I think they're still better than any of the dinosaurs in King Kong '05.

2. Whitey

Whitey Jedi Master star 6

Jan 26, 2003
    I haven't seen the movie, but judging from the trailers, they probably are.

3. Padme-Wan_SkyWindu

Padme-Wan_SkyWindu Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 1, 2002
    I absolutely adore Jurassic Park. It and Star Wars are my two favorite movie series. I have very fond childhood memories of seeing them in the theaters, as many people here seem to. I'm also happy to see that most people that have voiced an opinion on it here seem to much prefer the Tyrannosaurus to the Spinosaurus. I quite torn on how to view Joe Johnston - in my opinion, he made wonderful designs for Star Wars but made horrible decisions as far as how to continue the Jurassic Park storyline (I believe it was his idea to essentially eliminate the rex from JPIII, and the aforementioned Dr. Horner was more than happy to help him do that by using the film to pretty much try to present his views as fact to the general public. I say that because I've seen many things that present dinosaur "facts" that are not factual at all, but describe the dinosaurs in the Jurassic Park films). I'm glad the general public did not embrace the Spinosaurus as they did six foot tall Velociraptors, for example. I find it very amusing that the rex was taken out of the picture in the third film yet the merchandise still featured it heavily. At any rate, I still love the whole series but unfortunately feel that each one is slightly worse than the previous one. I'd love for there to be more films in the series but am fearful that the downward trend would continue. I'm afraid it's just become a moneymaker for the studio (as evidenced by the rex merchandise I mentioned and the fact that the films degenerated from a two hour film with something resembling a morality lesson about the use of science and technology in our world to a 90 minute chase flick) now rather than something that would have a decent amount of thought put into it. I may have sounded somewhat negative overall here, but I really do love the entire series, especially the first two. Despite my misgivings, I am hopeful that a fourth film would be enjoyable and perhaps end the series on a high note.

4. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    The funniest thing about seeing JP for me was seeing all the under 10 kids in the theater run for the door when the T Rex came on the screen. Parents thought the dinos in this film were going to be cute and cuddly.

5. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    isn't there supposed to be a JP4 coming out in 2007 or something? i heard that spielberg was somewhat involved w/ it

6. -Phoenix-

-Phoenix- Jedi Master star 5

Oct 21, 2005

Way back after seeing JP3 in theatres, I noticed they all came out 4 years apart. '93, '97, '01, so I thought JP4 would be out the same year as ROTS. Not quite, I suppose. I recall Spielberg saying something about JP4 being about a virus or disease or something that is killing off the dinosaurs and could spread to humans. He also remarked that if he had thought of it at the time, he would've scrapped the plot of JP3 and put this into there.

7. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Last thing I heard about possible plots for JP4 was a terrible terrible story which one would hope never sees the light of day and was just someone's horrible idea of a joke.

8. Whitey

Whitey Jedi Master star 6

Jan 26, 2003
    The one about some people actually taming the dinosaurs for use as weapons? o_O

9. Padme-Wan_SkyWindu

Jun 1, 2002
    Yes, it sounded as bad or worse than the Jurassic Park rip-offs that the SciFi Channel keeps making. A review of the script is here.

10. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    Loved the first film. Have mixed feeling about The Lost World and I though JP3 was fun and entertaining, something The Lost World forgot to be. I look foward to the 4th film as Speilberg is said to have come up with a story concept that rivals the first film.

Personally I love the fan created concept of the dino's carrying the D-X virus that threatens the extinction of the human race. I would also like to see as much unused material from the Criton novels appear in the film especially Bio-Syn and Dodson.

11. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    what is the rumored plot/ premise that Speilberg has come up with? bc if it's him thats doing it then there is some hope for JP4

12. plo_koom

plo_koom Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 26, 2002
    Steven Speilberg said that he was going to include the first ever scene where a human shoots a raptor to death, but he faced too much opposition from PETA who had some representatives involved with the film making. Speilberg explained that the animals are extinct and no one will be encouraged to go out to shoot a raptor and the entire scene would be CGI. PETA wouldn't have any of that, and he begrudglingly revised the scene.

I have also heard that he stated he would include scenes from the first novel that were cut because of budget problems like a big Motorcylce against raptor chase scene and the T-rex raft attack.

13. weezer

May 16, 2001
    I never heard that one.

The one I heard was that the go back to the island to find the can the Newman dropped. They find the can but are intercepted by a group of German mercenaries hired by the conglomerate that now owns the rights to InGen. Turns out they want it so that they can build human dinosaur hybrids. They take Grant and Nick back to show them and there is already an army of the human dinosaur hybrids that befriend Grant and Nick only to have band together to fight off a terrorist attack.

Really.

14. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005

is that for the 1st JP or JP4?

[face_sick]

that is very very disturbing. that idea better not even come to the studio or spielberg's head

15. plo_koom

Nov 26, 2002
    I think that was from the original script where the mercenary goes to Isla Nublar and get's a Velociraptor, a Utah Raptor and Deinonychus and get's them genetically modified to act as his new squad mates so they can fight the dinosaur's that have spread to the North American mainland.

Those little film facts all referred to Jurassic Park IV.

EDIT:Corrected the spelling on Deinonychus

16. Padme-Wan_SkyWindu

Jun 1, 2002
    "I want to tread lightly on what happens over the course of the rest of the film on the off chance that Mary Parent or someone at Universal is seriously going to make this thing. There?s the eight-year-old-boy side of me that thinks that a DIRTY DOZEN-style mercenary team of hyper-smart dinosaurs in body armor killing drug dealers and rescuing kidnapped children will be impossible to resist. And then there?s the side of me that says... WHAT THE **** ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?! Nick is put in charge of training these five dinosaurs, X1 through X5, and the first thing he does is name them. ?Any soldier worth his pay has a name to answer to, not a number,? he says. So we are introduced to Achilles, Hector, Perseus, Orestes, and Spartacus, each of them a specially created deinonychus, which is sort of like a miniature T-rex [This is untrue; they are more like velociraptors]. They have super-sensitive smell and hearing, incredible strength and speed and pack-hunting instincts, and they have modified forelegs, lengthened and topped with more dextrous fingers, as well as dog DNA for increased obedience and human DNA so they can solve problems well. All of this is topped off with a drug-regulating implant that can dose them with adrenaline or serotonin as the situation demands."

That quotation is from the review I linked to several posts above. The bold part and **** were put in by me.

17. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Yep, that's what I remember.

Edit: And yes a deinonychus is more like the raptors from the movies. Real velociraptors were little more then scary turkeys.

Incidentally the last slightly more current JP4 rumor I heard was that everything is going to be covered in feathers.

Its like Big Bird attacks.

18. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    it's scary to think that idea could be considered by the studio and director[face_worried]

19. plo_koom

Nov 26, 2002
    It was the working script until Steve stepped in. They officially said it was due to the admitedly bad internet reception.

20. weezer

May 16, 2001
    They're still going to be big freaking birds. Its more scientificaly acurate, sure, but dinosaurs where much more fun before science ruined it all :p

21. plo_koom

Nov 26, 2002
    A raptor wasn't turkey sized, if you really want to give them more romanticism, their size is more comparable to that of a wolf. They were six feet long and four feet tall and hunted in large groups. Their sickled toe claw is said to make them capable of dismembering prey much larger then themselves.

22. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Thats already a bit romanticised.

It was a big bird. Current evidence shows that the infamous claw didn't have the force, power, or stength to penetrate the skin of even simple animals let alone the power to disembowl or dismember live prey. It was about six feet long but only about 1.4 feet to the hip.

23. -Phoenix-

Oct 21, 2005
    Yeah, I saw on discovery channel that the velociraptor was only about 2 feet high, and more like a chicken than a human killing machine.

24. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    even though the look of the raptors might not be accurate i liked how they looked in the movies

25. -Phoenix-

Oct 21, 2005
    Definitely. Being pursued around a kitchen by a couple of chickens is not exactly intense.:p

Stupid science.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.