main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jurassic Park

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by jedi_john_33, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whitey

Whitey Jedi Master star 6

Jan 26, 2003
    Well, as long as my dream of T-Rex taking revenge on Spino comes true, I'll be happy.

2. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    sort of jurassic park related. anyone catch family guy tonight? towards the end Peter sings the jurassic park theme in a funny scene

3. Only_Wan_Kenobi

Only_Wan_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 10, 2005
    Jurasic park is an amazing film. Great story, acting, music sfx. I still find the sfx in this movie more real than alot of the sfx films after it. The sequels suck though.

4. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    i dunno. i sort of liked the T-Rex in King Kong. i thought WETA did an excellent job with that

5. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    I'll go one step further and completely disagree. From an FX point of view anyways. Story, acting, music completely agree, FX not so much.

I think JP is a good example of how your memories can be colored by nostalgia. You see it a lot on the net. People saying how great the CG was in JP and how bad it sucks now. You go back and watch it though and your almost taken aback by how rudimentary they really are. Not to mention how little CG there is. You want to make an argument about how great the animatronic work, or miniature work is, no question, you just don't see it done like that anymore. The CG work on the other hand.

6. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    i will always think that the effects for JP were great for the time but as with anything as time goes on effects get better. i would never put down JP. it's one of my favorite movies :)

7. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    some Jurassic Park IV news:

More From Marshall on Jurassic Park 4

In an interview with Empire Online, producer/director Frank Marshall restates what he has said earlier about Indiana Jones 4 and The Bourne Ultimatum, but he also gives some extra bits on Jurassic Park 4:

Is Jurassic Park 4 still going to happen?
    Jurassic will happen next year as well. I?m sure there will be some quirky characters in the movie. It's always attractive, people love to be in those movies.

Have they started writing the script yet?
    No. They have an idea. That's why it's going to take a while, that'll be the end of next year probably.

Will Michael Crichton be back on board?
    No. He created it, but he won't be writing it.

Will Spielberg directing it?
    No, he's gonna be busy doing Indy 4. He puts his name on everything ? just in case!

8. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    Have to disagree with the posters above and say that the CGI in JP is very definately better than most of what has been done since. For several reasons--here's two:

1: a mentality of "what's going to look best" rather than "let's use all CGI and then figure out how to make it work". Compare the following: "Convincing dinosaurs are essential to making this film work. How can we do that? Let's try CGI" and "I want to be the first person to make an all-CGI character? How can I do that? Let's try sticking him into this movie" another way of expressing this would be CGI shows off character, character doesn't show off CGI

2: a willingness to use more than one kind of technology for the same character(s). combining puppetry and stop-action with CGI blurs the line between what has and what has not ever existed in the real physical world.

9. Exxaciel

Exxaciel Jedi Master star 3

Mar 10, 2005
    Raptors rule. Esp. JP3 raptors- they're really smart.

10. DewbackRider88

DewbackRider88 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    Na, the female (or 'queen' raptor as i call her lol) in JP1 is the bomb!

The way muldoon describes her is great.

And the raptors in JP3 were wusses, didnt kill the group at the end, just took the eggs.

I would of ripped tea leonis face off if i was a raptor lol

Oh, and the JP2 raptors have groovy striping, but seemed a bit odd

11. MatRags

MatRags Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2001
    They were probably full off of poor Michael Jeter.

12. Darth_BADLungs_Vader

Darth_BADLungs_Vader Jedi Youngling star 1

May 18, 2006
    Models and puppets is something they should improve as well because they look way more realy (not movement though).Yes it looks a bit dated but CGI back then looked real when today it looks like pixar animations put in a action or sfi movie. They have better tech today but they dont make it look real anymore!! Hulken looked so damn fake along with tons of hero CGI movies today. They are way better animating them but making them look real? better before IMO[face_peace]

13. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    the dinosaur effects, models, etc. for the first movie will always look good for the time it was made in

14. JediPrettyBoy

JediPrettyBoy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2005
    RAPTORS RULE

15. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    Raptors were good. but when i first saw the T-Rex on the big screen i was speechless from being amazed at it and slightly scared. i was like 7 or 8 when i saw it

16. JediPrettyBoy

JediPrettyBoy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2005
    I also forgot about the Spinosaurus from JP3. The fight between that and the T-Rex was cool. I actually felt sorry for the T-Rex when I heard its neck pop. Poor T-Rex. Big mouth. Very little arms and only two dinky little fingers.

17. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    yeah. that T-Rex/Spinosaurus fight was the only highlight of JP3 for me

18. DewbackRider88

DewbackRider88 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    Im watching JP3 at this moment, and id forgotten about the first time you see the island by plane. all the herds of animals running around. Just like some of the beautiful scenes of the first film.

And the spinasaurus needs to be taken down a peg in the next film. Maybe 2 rex's against one spinasaur. That would be worth seeing

19. MatRags

MatRags Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2001
    For me, the best part of JP3 was the Pteranodon sequence. I'd been waiting for some flying dino action and JP3 delivered.

20. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    That was pretty neat - minus the part where the kid jumps from rock to rock way up by the nest though. :p

21. Richard-Drahcir

Richard-Drahcir Jedi Master star 3

Feb 18, 2004
    Yeah seeing some flying dinosaurs was long overdue. There was a shot of a couple in Lost World at the end during Hammond's speech but nothing big. JP3 had it and they delivered. I lied to a friend and said they killed Eddie and the kid to upset her and she was so annoyed with me when she saw that they both survived heh.

JP4 will be interesting.

JP1 was a masterpiece,
    JP2 was good and introduced new dinos such as Compysognathus well. When they bit that guy to death and went after the girl at the beginning was quite shocking but I think the film was too violent. Bits like the guy getting killed by the TRex and his blood pouring into the waterfall was a bit extreme and it seemed to go too far on the death effects,
    JP3 was okay but seemed to be a way to make money without focusing on the scientific aspects. It seemed to be a bit too much like films such as Pterodactyl (saw this on SciFi channel recently - starring Coolio) and Godzilla.

I hope JP4 will be closer to JP1 and more book like but I'm sure the film will still be a good one.

22. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    I love the JP movie series.

One of the first films i've got on VHS was Jurassic Park in 1993 (If not the first)
    I still have it in good shape. The VHS package is very cool, its bumpy and looks like a piece of rock with dino bones in it.

I hope that Jurassic Park 4 will be good, it just takes so long time to wait for it. I'm a little afraid that the movie will be a bit disappointing, due to the hype (like TPM).

23. Darth_BADLungs_Vader

Darth_BADLungs_Vader Jedi Youngling star 1

May 18, 2006
    He he I have the same VHS package[face_dancing] It was kind of rare was it not?

24. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    i have the DVD set with all 3 movies in it

25. The Bigger Fish

The Bigger Fish Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2000
    As do I.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.