main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Jurassic World, Fallen Kingdom, Dominion & Camp Cretaceous

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthBoba, Jun 18, 2011.

1. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000

Welcome to the JCC

2. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    what makes the JCC so different ?

3. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Halibut does. He rules this place with an iron

4. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    That's halibut with a small 'h', Mr 30. You should know better.

5. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    I'm not sure how we can say there was no CGI in the opening moments of that trailer. I think most people would be surprised at just how much computer-assisted stuff is present in a finished movie or TV episode.

6. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Not at the start of a sentence, grammar boy.

7. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005

I'm sure a case could be made for it being a proper noun.

8. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    They call it a hybrid. Spino-Rex? T-Raptor? We need Godzilla to sell tickets?

I kid. I look forward to this.

9. SithSense

SithSense Force Ghost star 4

Sep 29, 2002
  10. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Isn't this just a direct sequel to JP1? They can easily pretend the other two movies never happened, many people do anyway :p

Juke Skywalker and TrandoJedi like this.
  11. comet1440

comet1440 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 25, 2004
    I like what I've seen so far, I think this will be a good movie

12. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

Hey the Lost World: Jurassic Park was a good movie :mad:

What's Jurassic Park III? :p

13. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    JP3 > JP2 but < JP.

The classic scene in JP is the t-rex intro. If ever there was a real looking cgi monster, that was it. It worked because of tender loving care and, well, the rain. I hope this movie gets that. But even if it isn't 100%, I just hope it doesn't suck.

spicer and Rogue1-and-a-half like this.
  14. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Spell check won't capture poor (or lack of) punctuation, lack of paragraph breaks and random capitalization.

15. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Yeah. Probably because it mostly wasn't CGI.

The2ndQuest , jp-30 and Diggy like this.
  16. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Yep. For the tl;dw crowd:

[​IMG]

Also, tbf, there were a lot of smoke and mirrors. Lots of the action was in dim light which helps, and screen resolutions are much higher now.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  17. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    The Lost World and Jurassic Park 3 are nowhere near as bad as a lot of people say. Sure, they're not as great as the original but definitely underrated. Especially TLW.

spicer, Ghost and EHT like this.
  18. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Nah, 2 was terrible. I haven't even seen 3 because of it.

19. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    It strikes me that perhaps English isn't his primary language, he's trying his best and maybe we should cut him some slack?

20. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Trailer has my interest because of the concept (fully functioning park makes sense- it doesn't matter how dangerous an animal is, eventually humans are going to make some kind of zoo to show them in. Tigers, bears, lions, hippos, sharks, orcas and other creatures can be just as deadly to tourists if they were to get free of their cages/tanks- not to mention training staff).

That said, it's not that good of a trailer- it opens strong with the "park is open" moments and the visual of the gate but loses it about 1/3rd to 1/2 way through. Now, JP1 & TLW had epically effective teaser trailers (but then, "Burn It All" is, like, in the Top 5 trailer music cues of all time) so it's unfair to compare it directly to those (despite the franchise connection).

Additionally the poor CGI is distracting. I could see a couple shots being weak because of not being finished (happens with trailers all the time) or even keeping the Gallimimus shot intentionally low-rez as an homage to JP1's weakest effects sequence but I would have expected at least some of the dino shots to look finished.

They also had some bizarrely weak dialogue choices like the "cooked up in that lab" line which seems like it was intended to anchor the backhalf of the trailer but is so awkward it seems incapable of the necessary gravitas. They really should have included some dialogue context line for the final raptor scene as well- we're left going more "WTF is happening?" than the seemingly intended "Woah- awesome!" reaction.

On the upside, like I said, the homage visuals are great ideas (CGI execution quality/state aside). The hamster ball ride to the Brachio camera pan up, the park gates opening, the mutant dino being filmed with JP1's "Raptor crotch cam", etc.

While it is possible for modern CGI to fool the eye for certain shots (particularly those that blend practical and CGI elements- like replicated/expanded sets/environments), more often than not you do not need a behind the scenes documentary to tell what is practical and what isn't.

Scribblenauts: Jurassic World Edition

21. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    This

22. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    The Lost World gets a +1 saving throw for Jeff Goldblum fortitude, but unfortunately that's undone by the +2 Vince Vaughn attack roll.

23. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Must I?

24. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    This plot, conceptually, seems very wrong-headed. The novelty of Jurassic Park is that it was one of the most recent and most successful "man vs nature" stories told in the contemporary era. It still is. The science used to create the scenario was only a conceit. The focus of the film's story was human being trying to survive against actual, scientifically "accurate" (as much as these things ever are) wildlife that regarded them with neither malice nor benevolence. They were simply indifferent. That rather bare bones survival story allowed people to capture the wonder of interacting with animals, as well as appreciate the terrible danger that can come from doing so. The T-Rex, for instance, could be by turns both their savior and terror, without being cognizant of either. This has always been the franchise's greatest strength.

Here, they've deviated it from it in a number of ways. Why make hybrids, exactly? In the context of the story, how does it make sense? If the idea of the theme park is to make an accurate re-creation of bygone ecologies, how does it fit to produce new animals that have never existed before? Why would you increase the creature's intelligence, with all the attendant ethical and practical problems that brings? From a thematic standpoint, if something can truly "think" now, and is actually classifiable as a villain, then how does it still fit with "man vs nature?" If you're just going to have a generic reptilian monster attack, why should anyone watch this as opposed to Godzilla or Guillermo Del Toro Mecha Battlesuit Adventures Generic Japanese Rip-off/Homage Movie?

Daft-Vader likes this.
  25. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    It'd be the properly Brit gentleman-ish thing to do?