main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Jurassic World, Fallen Kingdom, Dominion & Camp Cretaceous

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthBoba, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    This will be the movie that causes the extinction of CG dinosaurs. Henceforth to be known in cinema history as the J-W boundary.

Barriss_Coffee and DarthMane2 like this.
  2. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    It would be nice if something makes them go back to the CGI/practical effects mix they had with the first three movies; has it actually been confirmed that all of the dinosaur shots in this are completely CGI?

Also, I wonder where they plan to go after this, assuming it's not a box office dud. Jurassic Park 5? Jurassic World 2? Confusing.

3. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    I'm sure there will be a practical dinosaur effect in there somewhere. The puppet claw of death is always welcome.

EHT likes this.
  4. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Jurassic Galaxy. Dinos in Space.

5. SithSense

SithSense Force Ghost star 4

Sep 29, 2002

Well....technically, it was the bull Rex from TLW. Same animatronic, but they just gave it a new skin.

6. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    There's currently at least 2 Raptor animatronics known.
    Blue:
    [​IMG]

And Delta (I think)
    [​IMG]

They didn't even go that far. I wish they did, but they didn't. When Stan Winston Studios made the skins, they were glued to the frames of the animatronics beneath. For JP///, the Bull Rex animatronic was only given a tune up in order to allow it to stand a chance against the Spinosaurus animatronic, which had horse power 5x that of the Bull T. rex animatronic.They also gave it a fresh coat of paint and sent it out the door. In the end, the Spinosaurus animatronic still literally ripped the head of the Bull Rex animatronic.

EHT likes this.
  7. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Ah, good. I've seen articles online saying that all the dinosaur shots in this are CGI, but I thought that at least a few of those velociraptor shots have looked like animatronics.

8. CT1138

Sep 4, 2013
  9. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Chris Pratt is the best :D

10. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    As long as the Indominus Rex takes care of a certain purple dinosaur, I'm good.

Legolas Skywalker likes this.
  11. SithSense

Sep 29, 2002
    New TV spot features the pteranodons attacking a baby Triceratops in the petting zoo...who happens to be wearing a saddle. Neat throwback to the deleted scene in the first movie where Lex was going to ride a baby trike....which itself came from the "His name is Ralph" scene in the novel. If this trike's name is indeed "Ralph", I will buy two more tickets just to help the movie's bottom line.

Yes, there is a Jurassic Petting Zoo.
    [​IMG]
    "kill...me...." - Apatosaurus

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  12. SithSense

Sep 29, 2002

Interesting...I was under the impression that in the four years of storage between movies, the foam latex skin would have degraded to the point where replacement would be a necessity.

13. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I wonder if the new Park instituted Dr. Wu's suggestion from the original novel that they genetically engineer the dinos to be more docile and tame. This place looks a lot different from Hammond's original vision -- I don't think he ever would have wanted a petting zoo.

14. CT1138

Sep 4, 2013
    spicer likes this.
  15. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
  16. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    The petting zoo part is pretty annoying; maybe that's the point, but it could just be that they thought it would be a "cute" addition to the movie. Petting zoos contain domesticated animals like goats, sheep, and donkeys... not the babies of species like elephants, giraffes, etc. (the zoo equivalent of what they appear to be doing here). And putting a saddle on a baby Triceratops? Geez.

Barriss_Coffee and SithSense like this.
  17. SithSense

Sep 29, 2002

You're right on the money there, KissMe. Hammond freaked out over anything that could harm his dinosaurs...not because he cared about them, but because they were too expensive. Muldoon even lamented it when discussing the dilophosaur with Gennaro -- park handlers wanted the poison glands removed from the dilos. But, because it would involve killing and dissecting one of them to find out exactly where the glands were, Hammond immediately vetoed it.

Movie Hammond was more of a Walt Disney-type...would never have wanted to risk either the children or the animals getting hurt.

So, yeah, in either case, there's no way he would allow some snot-nosed little butthole to be grabbing his animals by the neck like this.
    [​IMG]

"Gee, the lack of humility before nature being displayed here staggers me." - Ian Malcolm

KissMeImARebel and EHT like this.
  18. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    I was never against the dinosaurs in the first three movies... but here, I may actually end up rooting for them.

19. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    From the people who brought you the Sesame Street Massacre comes Being Gored to Death by a Baby Triceratops in the Jurassic Petting Zoo.

20. SithSense

Sep 29, 2002

Therein lies the difference between Hammond's InGen and Masrani's InGen.....

John Hammond hired an experienced Game Warden.
    [​IMG]
    "Ah, Robert. Robert Muldoon, my game warden from Kenya."

Simon Masrani hired an "Asset Containment Unit"...lead by Rent-a-Cop here:
    [​IMG]
    "'Relevant Job Experience'? Well, I once headed up loss prevention at a Wal-Mart distribution center. That counts, right?"

21. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Same.

Although that might be intentional on the part of the movie. Attitudes towards places like SeaWorld have shifted over 20 years. So I could see one of the themes here being the questionable treatment of animals being used as public attractions. The original Jurassic Park was more like a zoo or even a wildlife reserve, and even that had some questionable treatment of the animals in the sense that the caretakers didn't understand their health requirements, and in the case of the book (as SithSense noted) cared about their financial value more than their quality of life.

I hope that if they go that route they don't push the shock value of it with torture p0rn though. I'm bothered by animals being harmed in films -- it just viscerally upsets me -- and I don't need to see wailing baby dinos traumatized by visitors or eaten apart by other dinos (although I suspect that's what we're going to get after seeing the tv spot shot with Howard crying over the dying victim of the Indominus Rex). Spielberg still had a sense of restraint in the original JP when it came to that angle.

EHT likes this.
  22. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    Does anyone else want to see a child actually get eaten by a dinosaur for change. Each of these movies has to have children in it as main characters, Chriton started that with the first novel. I don't care if it gets an R rating as a result it would be interesting to see for a change.

23. SithSense

Sep 29, 2002

To be fair, the original draft was written from Tim's perspective. His editor hated it, so he went back to his standard narrative.

Though....it would seem to me that some of his "Tim" perspective shines through in the book...for instance how Lex has no other attributes than being a whiny waste of space. "Wah, that dinosaur looked at me funny", "Wah, that dinosaur ate my baseball mitt", "Wah, I need a drink of water because I've got explosive hiccups while we're trying to sneak past the T-Rex."

But, back on point....unfortunately, with a PG-13 movie, we aren't likely to see any kids dying, even if it were implied as happening offscreen (James Cameron's Aliens). Especially in a PG-13 movie released by Universal that happens to have a themed land in all four of its amusement parks.

24. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End, as I recall, showed children about to die - in the opening sequence - even if the death itself wasn't shown.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  25. SithSense

Sep 29, 2002

I also seem to remember Disney and Verbinski catching heat about that scene among the litany of complaints about that movie.