main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Jurassic World, Fallen Kingdom, Dominion & Camp Cretaceous

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthBoba, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Hello, I'm Rogue1-and-a-half. Apparently we haven't previously met because I've been making the JPIII over TLW argument for years now. :p

I think the final point is the best: no time is "wasted" on inspiring awe with special effects anymore.

2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  3. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    I've read this article before and it's a really really good one. Although I think Jurassic World has some of the most organic CGI dinosaurs ever seen on screen, it's usage of them is very reminiscent of Malcolm's line in the first movie: "...you treat it like a kid who's found his dads gun."

4. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    how about the Raptors in the Kitchen in retrospect they look really cheesy.

5. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    I find it comical that in this day and age, basically CGI has been around since the mid 90's and now a days every major film has CGI In It, and people still have a problem with CGI :rolleyes:[face_laugh]....

Gamiel likes this.
  6. CT1138

Sep 4, 2013
    I don't have a problem with CGI, but it's used as a crutch in SO many movies to the point where something that could EASILY be practical effects is CGI just for the lulz.

[​IMG]

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  7. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    But are we talking CGI from 10 years ago or now because I believe CGI has gotten so good that it is now hard to tell what Is CGI and what Isn't, for Example Star Trek Into Darkness I thought the CGI was flawless and It was hard to tell what Is CGI and what is Practical. I felt back In 2005 the Visual Effects were good but they have come a long way since then. whole other ballgame If you know what I mean.

8. CT1138

Sep 4, 2013
    It's not their quality at that I have a problem with. In fact, I think CGI is better now than it ever has been, it's their usage that I have a problem with. Things that could SO easily be practical effects have become CGI just because it's the "tool of choice" these days. But, just as every construction worker doesn't NEED a hammer in their tool belt, every effect doesn't need to be CGI.

Jedi Daniel and SithSense like this.
  9. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I hope they film SW Episode VIII in space!!!!!!

10. CT1138

Sep 4, 2013
    I know you're joking, but you can't deny: that would be beyond awesome! :D

11. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    No it'd make Star Trek: The Motion Picture look like an Abrams film.

12. SithSense

SithSense Force Ghost star 4

Sep 29, 2002

No, we have a problem with bad CGI.
    Jurassic Park: 1993. Budget: $63 Million
    [​IMG]

The Mummy Returns: 2001. Budget: $98 Million.
    [​IMG]

See the difference?

13. SithSense

Sep 29, 2002

Even more egregious is when a movie films everything with practical effects...and then covers them all up with needless CGI, as happened in the 2011 premake-quel of The Thing.

http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/29...to-bringing-the-thing-2011-to-the-big-screen/

14. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    well I think Trevarrow from what I see from The JW trailers, like Abrams IS using a lot of Practical Effects, in that behind the Scenes footage I posted the Raptor looks like an Animotronic ?

15. CT1138

Sep 4, 2013
    We know of at least 2 animatronics. There's a lot of sets constructed, but what I think what people are most disappointed about is that in franchise that's famous for it's giant animatronics, there's only 2 that we actually know exist.

16. SithSense

Sep 29, 2002

Three: Raptor Blue, Raptor Delta, and the unlucky Apatasaurus.
    [​IMG]

17. CT1138

Sep 4, 2013
    Oh yeah, forgot about the Apatosaurus head animatronic.

18. SithSense

Sep 29, 2002
  19. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013

No mention of Amazing Spider-Man's Lizard? Tsk tsk.

20. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    If I am not mistaken and mind you I have been following JW over at Jurassic Park Legacy as a member of there message board for over a year, more like years they have more then 2 way more....

21. CT1138

Sep 4, 2013
    I know of the Blue animatronic, the Charlie animatronic, MAYBE an Echo animatronic (although that particular shot could have been CGI, dunno), and then there's the Apatosaurus head animatronic that SithSense reminded me of above. So, there's 3 confirmed, one maybe. I haven't seen any beyond that.

22. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    I think there was A T-Rex and an I-Rex as well?

23. CT1138

Sep 4, 2013
    Haven't seen a T. rex AFAIK, and I believe all the supposed iRex animatronic shots have been debunked as CGI. I also remember hearing from Frank Marshall that Legacy Effects (formerly SWS) animatronics would be kept to Raptor sized and smaller for this movie.

24. SithSense

Sep 29, 2002
    Hey now, the CGI wasn't the problem with Lizard; it was the fact that they turned him into a Goomba.
    [​IMG]

25. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    I am just going on 1. Trevorrow is supposedly a Director Like, Abrams who does Not Use a ton of CGI and blends CGI and Practical Effects really well, and 2. Just going on my own eyes, not all the shots of the I-Rex look CGI, some of them look like Animitronic. for example,
    [​IMG]
    to me that does not look like CGI or may be just part of it is, may be the head is Animotronic and the rest is CGI? IN any case ILM Is the best in the business!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In other JW News,

Jurassic World heading for dino-sized opening weekend
    [​IMG]
    Date: Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 18:20 (Eastern)
    Author: Nublar7

According to numerous sources, with the latest being a report from 'Variety', Jurassic World is currently tracking towards a domestic opening weekend of $100 million or more. There are still over two weeks before the film's release and things can still change, but right now things are pointing towards a monstrous opening weekend.
    “The trailers are connecting in such a big way,” said Phil Contrino, vice president and chief analyst at BoxOffice.com.

Pre-release ticket sales have been robust since they kicked off on May 15, and Fandango reports that the film is one of its top five best sellers this week.

Let us know what you think in our forums!