main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Jurassic World, Fallen Kingdom, Dominion & Camp Cretaceous

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthBoba, Jun 18, 2011.

1. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000

Think they'll have that on the tour?

Well...um...well, why not? Dinosaurs eating people is always at least kind of entertaining; maybe I'll get my pie-in-the-sky dream and they'll do a straight book adaptation of the original novel. At least people will be pissy to realize that it's less a fun story about running from dinosaurs and more a grim warning about international corporatism and genetic tinkering.

2. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

To answer the question at the end of the article, I think they should start with a completely new cast.

3. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    I personally thought Sam Neill coming back was about the only good thing about JP3, myself( Spinosaurus defeating a T Rex? I think not! :p ); Goldblum is a great actor, but IMO Malcolm is too oddball a character to be the central character. I can see a totally new cast working, though; I mean, it's not like there's some law of movies that the original cast has to come back.

4. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    JP3 was entertaining but it got too ridiculous.

Super-smart trap-laying Raptors? Yeah, right.
    Spinosaurus kills T-Rex? Erm........no

The idea of Dinosaurs with weapons is stupid, Dinosaurs are weapons. Look at the size of most of them, it's easy to believe they can run rampant and destroy vast areas and overpower even the best-trained humans with the best technology. This isn't some movie where you have to genetically beef-up sharks in order to make it believable that they can pwn everyone, Dinosaurs just freakin' rule!

And enough of this "Site B" crap, go back to the original park and stop making up other islands.

I'm cool with a whole new cast, but if not maybe use someone less recognisable from the previous films like Tim & Lex. Maybe one of them took ove Hammond's company and has a new idea of how to control and make profit from Jurassic Park.

JP3 failed because it went too far, JP1 works because it was simple.

5. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    So, why not just make a Dino Riders movie? Or does that make too much sense? :p

Gamiel likes this.
  6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I'd love to see some of the unused Lost World novel elements put to use (which would make the pattern complete, given that JP3 utilized unused elements from the JP novel), like the Chameleon dinos that even the Raptors didn't want to mess with.

7. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing TLW straight re-adapted, myself-the book is a wonderful action novel that's obviously designed as a film, and barely any of it made it into the film.

Not that I hate a T-rex rampaging around San Diego, but still....:p

8. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Agree. The T-rex trashing San Diego was fun, but they should have stopped after that one. JP3 felt like they were just trying to whore the franchise.

9. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    True; looking back there was really very damn little I enjoy about JP3. The Raptors pretty much lost all their menace (the scene in the tall grass in TLW was scary as hell) and for a dinosaur nerd like me...well...the Spinosaur/Rex fight was just stupid.

[rant] There's a Tyrannosaur skeleton nicknamed Stan that healed from a broken neck; he has fused in his neck vertebrae, as well as a nasty Rex tooth diameter hole in his skull that also healed. Taken together, that means he fought and presumably killed another tyrannosaur, while fighting with a broken neck. That Spinosaur would have toast against a Rex; Spinosaurs were longer, but not as heavily muscled, and Rex armament was waaay beyond anything a Spinosaur had.[/end rant]

Lady_Misty likes this.
  10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    At the end of JP3's production, they pitted the Winston Spino against the Winston Rex and the Spino took the Rex's head off. That's all the evidence I need ;).

They should just release any footage of that in theaters- I'd pay to see that :D.

(because there is no way in hell that they decided to do that and NOT film it!)

11. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Ehh, to be fair, Google disagrees with that result. :p

But yeah-I had the Making Of Jurassic Park book years ago and it had lots of funnily similar pictures in it-people drying off the tyrannosaur with a hand towel, for example. :p

12. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    T-Rex's bite could crunch bone, Spinosaurus has a thin neck. If they really were too fight Rex might have backed down due to a size disasvantage as is common in nature anyway, but were they to go at it I can't see a fish-eater with thin teeth and a narrow neck like Spino being able to kill a muscled-up bone-crushing beast with a massive head.

I did like the Pterosaur aviary thing in JP3, but that was about the only good bit. Clearly the production guys got an idea that anything bigger and meaner-looking than T-Rex was obviously better and so they could base the movie around that.
    Looks like they did poor research, but they wouldn't be the first. In the first JP movie, what they call Velociraptors are actually Deinonychus, raptors were about the size of a Turkey. If they wanted a larger raptor then they have gone for Utahraptor.

13. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Yeah, looking back I enjoyed JP3 as a general rule, but nothing really sticks out about it.

14. Mortimer_Snerd

Mortimer_Snerd Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 14, 2004
    Yes to everything said here.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    JP3's best moments were the attack on the plane and the two sequences from the JP novel (the avian section and the river raft).

JP3's worst moments included the abrupt/bombastic and unintentionally stupid arrival of the military and the feeling that the movie ended too early (I couldn't have been the only one expecting the flying dinos to attack the copter or something).

16. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

On IMDB, there's a notation that writer John Sayles suggested a scenario where human soldiers have their DNA blended with dinosaur DNA to create a new species of super soldier.

17. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Oh please no to any kind of dinosaur soldier anything. I desperately want to see a movie with both Neill and Goldblum in it, though. That's the thing that would really get me back. I enjoy all the JP movies but none of them is anything near the first one.

JP3's biggest problem, IMHO, was that it had no third act. The movie suddenly ends right when you feel like the second act should be ending. It's so incredibly abrupt. Lost World had two endings and JP3 no ending.

-sj loves kevin spacey

JoshieHewls likes this.
  18. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I think JP3 is vastly superior to Spielberg's LW which may be my choice for his worse film. JP3 isn't a great movie and probably only mildly hits good but it is a 50's B monster movie and I thoroughly enjoyed that aspect of it.

Why not reboot this franchise though? Not because I'm a fan of rebooting but because Crichton's original novel is soooo much better than any of the films. It was an adventure story plus it has great ethical questions. The Spielberg film only briefly touched upon these. And the original Jurassic Park is adamently against capitalism and we get next to none of that in the Spielberg film because John Hammond is the next best thing to a saint in that film. He isn't held accountable for anything and automatically realizes the folly of his ways because he was good.

19. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Hammond was a well-meaning rich man, but he was deeply flawed and the movie highlighted that well I thought. He rushed into doing what he did without thinking of the consequences or doing enough research into the science (amphibian DNA in reptiles? Why? Surely you use reptilian or bird DNA as those are the closest living descendants of Dinosaurs). Throughout the films it's evident things have not been done properly and he is warned many times that things can go wrong.
    Not every guy owning a resort like that has to be evil, not all businessmen are evil. Hammond just had more money than sense and he didn't think ahead.

Gamiel likes this.
  20. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    I enjoy the book & film of Jurassic Park for fairly different reasons; as mentioned, the novel is a much more serious tale. HOWEVER, in my opinion "serious" doesn't necessarily mean "better" or "more enjoyable". There's a fair amount of silliness in the book-seriously, if you know anything at all about the Costa Rican Air Force and military in general you would know quite well that them napalming the island is basically as absurd as the Marines showing up at the end of JP3-but that doesn't stop it from being a great warning about private industry and genetic engineering.

The film is great as basically a fun adventure movie; Spielberg plays to his strengths as an action director who has a surplus of imagination with it and it shows. Hell, I still get a thrill at the first reveal of the Brachiosaurs; I think it's one of the most magical sequences in any film ever.

anguirus2003 likes this.
  21. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Agreed, I feel the same way, the first movie definitely had a sense of wonder to it.

It really played up the awe-inspiring idea of actually bringing dinosaurs back to life.

Jurassic Park is one of the rare instances that I wouldn't mind a reboot and a more serious adaptation of the book.

Or, how about a Jurassic Park that actually succeeds? (Different, right?) The park opens, everything goes well and is a great commercial success.

This goes on for years, until.....something happens. The dinosaurs go nuts, everyone panics, chaos reigns.

This way the movie could once again start with a very positive, wondrous feeling with sunshine and lollipops before the inevitable happens.

Everyone could be naive and foolish like they were in the first movie, and then reality smacks them in the face, brings them back down to Earth and they can learn the same lessons learned in the first movie.

The park, being a great success, could have hundreds or thousands of guests when disaster strikes.

22. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I actually really like that idea about the park being open.

23. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Yeah, that does sound pretty cool.

Another problem with The Lost World is just how idiotic the "villain's" plot is-I mean, there's Larry Vaughan naivety/greed (which is actually given some good reasoning, namely that the Mafia owns most of Amity Island) in Jaws, but the guy in TLW just comes off as being retarded.

24. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I always thought the security in JP1 was awful. I mean, you allow two guys in one room on a few PCs to run the entire operation?
    Look how easy it was for Nedrid to cripple everything, OK I don't think he wanted to hurt anyone or let the Dinos riot, but it was chaos that was started very easily.
    Where were the guards for the Cryo-chamber? Where were Muldoon's people with guns trying to take out/contain the rampant creatures? Surely they had some sort of major backup plan for such a senario like a tank or a chemical weapon or whatever....

I like the idea of making the park operational (moving in to the mainland as was the idea in TLW might be good too), after all they turned the fences and power back on at the end of the first movie, so the place is functional it just requires a lot of manpower to get fences back up and contain the animals and restore the buildings.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, last we saw the islands were under blockade (at least, Site B was- but presumably Isla Sorna is under patrol after JP3), so I don't see them getting the islands functioning as active tourist sites. But that mainland facility in San Diego could still be used in a more limited fashion.