main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Jurassic World, Fallen Kingdom, Dominion & Camp Cretaceous

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthBoba, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    I tried re-watching The Lost World a few years ago, but I bailed when I realized that was actually Vince Vaughn and not just a really annoying new dinosaur.

2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Hey that was pre-Swingers, so you can't make that joke yet!

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  3. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
  4. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    I hadn't heard Elba's name attached to JP IV, but he's quickly become one of my favorite actors. He would've been a great addition.

5. Jedi-Anakin-Solo

Jedi-Anakin-Solo Force Ghost star 6

Dec 26, 2001
    I'm happy to see people sticking up for TLW, it gets so much hate. I thought the book was amazing and the movie doesn't even come close in the quality of the story to me, but I still love it.

6. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    TLW is not a terrible movie, but it suffered like many sequels in having to live up to a great original movie and that's very difficult.

It's watchable sure, and it's much better than JP3.

7. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I just don't understand TLW hate

JP3 hate, on the other hand...

8. Jedi-Anakin-Solo

Jedi-Anakin-Solo Force Ghost star 6

Dec 26, 2001
    I had some time to kill tonight so I popped in my Blu-Ray for TLW and paid attention to the score specifically. It really did have a feel of it's own that I'd never noticed before, and when the traditional JP theme kicks in it had more impact.

9. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    The original is a classic, so it is really hard to match it, even less top it. I love TLW however. I had the VHS back when I was 6 and I literally watched it everyday. It's one of my favorite movies for sure. And while I agree that JP3 is not better than JP and TLW, I still think it's a fun movie that gets more hate than it deserves.

10. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Yeah, it's the JP /// III hate that I don't quite get. I know a lot of people complain that it's a re-tread and too thin on plot and character, but I think it got back to basics and wasn't as bloated as TLW. Not a great movie, but I thought it was a reasonably entertaining flick in its own right. Of course I also haven't seen it in 10 years, something I'm going to rectify this weekend schedule permitting, and I reserve the right to disavow everything I just said :p.

11. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Exactly. It got the basic formula right for a JP movie. Nothing groundbreaking in that movie, but it's always great fun to watch it, and the dinos look amazing.

12. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Imma post this, cause it's awesome

spicer likes this.
  13. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    TLW came out after Swingers.

14. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Oh yeah that's right Swingers was '96.

15. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    My dislike of JP3 mainly stems from overly smart Raptors and a lack of understanding of Dinosaur physiology (such as in the Spinosaurus vs T-Rex fight, which The King is always going to win & the Pteranodons grabbing people with their feet which they couldn't do).
    I get they do it in the other movies with the T-Rex motion-vision and other things, but that was due to lack of knowledge at the time so it's more forgivable.

Plus it has numerous noticeable shooting errors and I don't remember seeing them in TLW. Although it's years since I have seen TLW.

16. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    TLW has Jeff Goldblum's possibly racially impossible daughter performing stupid gymastics.

That's probably the reason for TLW hate...

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  17. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    The source material for TLW was painfully terrible too.

18. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Well, it is possible that it's really his step-daughter. Also, I have an explanation for the gymnastic-stunt. If Kelly was spinning at a good rate, with as many circles as she did on that pole it would be building up enough energy to hurt the Velociraptor when she finally decided to spin off and kick it. Think about a bucket of water, okay if I were to just aim for the knee cap with the bucket. More than likely the body would not get hurt, but if you create centripetal force with it the body would sustain damage. It's building up it's potential energy with each spin and the impact would more than likely hurt from the number of spins I was on. Now if Kelly was 98 lbs, let's say, and she was spinning, like she was, to that Velociraptor it could've felt like a ton of bricks slamming into one little surface area on it's side. Probably how she got it to go flying.

19. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Yes, that may be true.

Doesn't make it a good idea for a movie.

20. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I chalk it up to these not being actual resurrected dinos, but genetic playthings with some dino dna as a start. Also, I think people take for granted that T-rex was always an unbeatable thing but truly it is just another mortal, and a good stab from a triceretops could do on in. Having said that, Jack Horner was the technical expert on JP3 and he has or had this long standing controversy that T-rex was a big ugly scavenger and not a predator at all. This explains the reason T-Rex was seen eating something already dead, and why it got defeated by the spinosaurus.

I actually like JP3, more so than JP2.

Aytee-Aytee likes this.
  21. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    The only complaint there is that:

1. In three films, she is the only person to actually kill a dinosaur. Compare to the novel, where Malcolm and Gennaro went across the island with an RPG launcher, and Grant poisoned a few raptors in the genetics lab by injecting eggs with various chemicals and getting the raptors to eat them.

2. And the fact that ILM did a very bad job of rendering the CGI raptor in the scene. Her legs don't even touch the thing....she just kind of swings around, and the raptor apparently thinks its so terrible he decides to commit suicide.

Cases such as Kelly's skin color aren't common but aren't completely unheard of.
    http://abcnews.go.com/Health/twins-white-black-born-biracial-parents-stirs-issues/story?id=12984334
    Recessive genes and whatnot.

That is, if she's even his biological daughter to begin with. I'm still wondering why Spielberg decided to cut to Vince Vaughn and West Wing Guy actually discussing the matter. I half expected them to reveal she was adopted, but the issue was dropped and never mentioned again.

Grant stated it himself in the university scene.
    "Now, what John Hammond and Ingen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Also....in terms of overall continuity, JP3 actually fits in the Jurassic Park franchise better than Iron Man 3 fits in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

VadersLaMent likes this.
  22. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Scavenger or not, it's a bone cruncher with the strongest known bite force of any living land animal. Any bite from it would have killed Spinosaurus outright anyway (especially given he had it by the neck at one point) regardless of size difference. Being bigger does not mean you are automatically better, although Hollywood tends to think that.

T-Rex has long passed the point where it is considered Dino-God as it used to be, but if it is to go down I'd rather it have been from something tough enough to do it (like Charcharodontosaurus or a powerful herbivore)
    The issue has never been that it died, just how it died.

23. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    JP III was at least unpretentious. It was basically just one long chase scene and it had no pretensions to most of its characters being at all intelligent. TLW annoyed me because everyone in that movie was supposed to be some kind of expert, but they kept doing things that were patently idiotic, even to a total layman. Here, Leoni and Macy are morons, sure. They're supposed to be. Sarah Harding shouldn't be a moron and the movie keeps saying she isn't; but she is. The same is true with Roland. And these characters are linchpin characters. If you don't care about Sarah and Roland, you've lost a ton of emotional investment. And it's hard to believe that Roland's a badass when he leaves his rifle two feet from a professional saboteur that hates him and then carries said rifle into hunt against a T. Rex without checking it first. Yeah, the great white hunter, this guy. Or that Sarah's some kind of brilliant naturalist when she spends the first third of the movie doing nothing but messing with dinosaur babies. I'm no naturalist, but I know you're not supposed to kidnap a T. Rex baby. I mean, ****.

I grant the point about the TLW score being really good. It was a fascinating decision by Williams (and maybe Spielberg) to just go in a totally different direction. The dark, brooding score is as far removed from the gorgeous, lush, awe-inspiring JP score as it could be. I find that decision to be really brave and exciting in terms of the creativity behind it.

Also, I just really take issue with TLW's ending. I mean, it's an homage to Godzilla or whatever. Right. But I've seen a giant monster rampage through a cityscape a million frigging times. Why shoehorn it in here (there's zero basis in the book for the sequence) instead of doing something new and different? I find that whole sequence to be one long snoozefest. When I want to see Godzilla, I'll watch Godzilla.

Also, I just can't believe the sheer number of awesome things they dropped from the novel. The candy-bar precipitated raptor attack on the high hide; the return of Dodgson; the fantastically arrogant and abrasive Richard Levine; the human warmth at the center of the entire story in Doc Thorne; the motorcycle chase through a herd of brontosauri; the raptors stealing the safety cage. I mean, really? About the only good sequence they kept from the book was the T. Rex trailer attack. And they kinda screwed that one up. I dunno how you do that sequence without the hairgrab at the end. Oh, yeah, you cut the best character in the book entirely, that's how. Geez.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  24. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    Knows everything about carnivorous Dinosaurs.
    [​IMG]
    Gets scared of a Milk Snake.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  25. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

Well considering the fact that the snake was slithering on him and may bite him, can you blame him? :p