main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Jurassic World, Fallen Kingdom, Dominion & Camp Cretaceous

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthBoba, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I personally loved Jurassic World and felt It was right up there with the first two!
    This Is the whole Tweet, The Film looks darker like The Lost World!
    JA BayonaVerified account@FilmBayona 21h21 hours ago

Ahí va la primera imagen del nuevo Jurassic. Qué emoción!! #JW2pic.twitter.com/CV55sdES0U
    Translate from Spanish

Translated from Spanish by Bing Wrong translation?

[​IMG]

2. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Yes, yes I am :p

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  3. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I feel like Jurassic World actually kept the "dinosaurs as characters" motif going really well, better than any of them since the first one I'd say. I love the fact that it's the same T. Rex from the first movie and feeling like that last raptor and the T. Rex were actual characters made me much more concerned for them in the final battle than for the people. That's why I wished they would have just taken the I. Rex down by themselves without the help of that lame new dinosaur. I guess what I'm saying is that I don't feel like the dinosaurs in Jurassic World were just "monsters." One of my favorite moments in the movie is that last raptor looking at Chris Pratt and then just turning and sprinting off into the park. That shot of her running away is great. I don't know; that's the experience I had.

4. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Bleh, next to the the Raptor/iRex communication, that was one of the most cringe worthy moments in the movie. Raptors are born killers. Jurassic World made them look like foul tempered pets.

5. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Since people have never studied living dinosaurs, we don't really know exactly how raptors would behave in every given situation. But if the movies are also correct in their assertion that raptors were pretty smart, it's not impossible that one of them may form an attachment with someone and decide not to kill them (or even decide to fight to protect them).

Gamiel likes this.
  6. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Yeah, but this isn't reality. It's a science fiction movie and the Raptors in these franchise had always been portrayed a vicious killers.

7. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Jurassic Park 3, with the eggs?

They're animals, not manifestations of pure evil.

8. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Where Grant, on his first try, tooted out the Declaration of Independence and the Treaty of Kadesh via the plastic mold of some vocal cords? That was perhaps the single stupidest moment in this entire franchise.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  9. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Of course almost that whole movie was stupid, but it was to refute: "the Raptors in these franchise had always been portrayed a vicious killers."

10. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Well, I guess it depends on whether you want them as a more visceral force of nature, ie. implacable killers, or as characters themselves. I think they work well both ways. In the original JP, they're terrifying, but I liked the way JW handled them. They allow you, all through the movie, to forget how deadly they are; the training stuff really does make you feel like they're not as dangerous as they really are; that's why that moment when they communicate with the I. Rex was super chilling to me. That shot of the raptors just turning to look at the people was a pure "oh ****" moment for me. I'd forgotten how compelling they are as villains; there really is something primal about the fear they evoke, or at least the fear that I have. That's why that shot of the raptors in the tall grass is the best thing in TLW; it's pure nightmare fuel. I'm honestly not sure what it is; creatures like that generally don't scare me in movies, but the raptors are actually frightening to me, even after all the cheesy memes. There is something snake-like about them, which is a phobia of mine, but that's not all of it.

But I don't know; it is a sci-fi movie. I had a way more positive reaction to JW than a lot of people. I mean, it's flawed for sure, but the idea that it's somehow worse than TLW or JPIII is just bizarre to me. It seems like TLW in particular is having a weird reexamination in the aftermath of JW, like it's a forgotten masterpiece that somehow fits with the original in some kind of genuinely great duo. That's nonsense. JW is easily the second best of the trilogy, though, Lord knows, it's not like it's a close second.

BigAl6ft6 and Gamiel like this.
  11. SithSense

SithSense Force Ghost star 4

Sep 29, 2002

If you read the TLW novel....they kind of were. They were infected with a dinosaur version of Mad Cow Disease, and were actually resorting to cannibalism.

But since that particular plot is never going to make it into the movies.... :(

12. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    There was so much amazing stuff in TLW that didn't get to the movie. I don't know how you throw away that scene when they're chasing the raptor on the motorcycle. Or when the raptors attack the tower. The only really good scene they kept from the novel was the bit with the T. Rexes and the trailers and they kind of screwed that up.

13. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    [​IMG]

CT1138 and JoshieHewls like this.
  14. SithSense

Sep 29, 2002

The sad thing is both of those scenes were used as inspiration for the movie....

1. The motorcycle chase in the novel features the raptor trying to get away by running through a herd of apatosaurs.
    "No choice!"' Sarah yelled. She pulled parallel to the raptor just as they passed into shadow, racing beneath the first animal. Kelly glimpsed the curve of the belly, hanging three feet above her. The legs were as thick as tree trunks, stamping and turning.
    The raptor ran on, darting among the moving legs. Sarah swerved, followed. Above them, the animals roared and turned, and roared again. They were beneath another belly, then out into moonlight, then in shadow again. Now they were in the middle of the herd. It was like being in a forest of moving trees.
    Directly ahead, a big leg came down with a slam! that shook the ground. The bike bounced as Sarah swung left; they scraped against the animal's flesh. "Hang on!" she shouted, and swerved again, following the raptor. Above them, the apatosaurs were bellowing and moving. The raptor dodged and turned, and then broke clear, racing out the back of the herd.

In the movie, we get....this jackass.
    [​IMG]

2. The raptors attacking the tower in the book has them trying to get to the children and fought off with a bar....
    The first of the raptors hissed as it began jumping up, clattering against the high hide shaking the structure. Its claws raked against the metal, and it fell down again. Eddie was astonished at how high it jumped - the animal could leap eight feet straight up, again and again, without apparent effort. Its jumps attracted the other animals, which slowly came back to circle the hide.
    Soon the hide was surrounded by leaping, snarling raptors. It swayed back and forth as the animals slammed into it, clawed for purchase, and fell back again. But more ominously, Levine saw, they were learning. Already, some of them had begun to use their clawed forearms to grip the structure, holding on while their legs got footing. One of the raptors came within a few feet of their little shelter before finally falling back. The falls never seemed to hurt the animals. They immediately leapt up, and jumped again.
    Eddie and the kids scrambled to their feet. Levine said, "Get back! Don't look out," and he pushed the kids into the center of the shelter.
    Eddie was bent over his knapsack, and held up an incandescent flare. He popped it and flung it over the side; two of the raptors fell away. The flare sputtered an the wet ground, casting harsh red shadows. But the raptors kept coming. Eddie pulled up one of the aluminum bars from the floor, leaned over the side railing brandishing the bar like a club.

In the movie....we get a tower building at the InGen complex that the raptors attack trying to get to the child, and being fought off with uneven bars.
    [​IMG]

Why this tower building even exists, I have no clue. Someone at InGen just said..."Hey, you know what we need? A tower. And be sure to make it so that the sprinkler system can support the weight of a teenage girl flipping on it."

15. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    This whole franchise is a grand object lesson in how to turn a decent, sensible "man vs nature" story into something ragingly stupid. Congratulations

16. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Duly noted, droid. Don't you have a terminal to plug yourself into?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

17. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Also, the two best characters in the novel were Richard Levine & Jack Thorne, neither of which were in the movie. Thorne is, in my opinion, the emotional heart of the novel; without him, the novel could have easily been a heartless, joyless, passionless execution of a bunch of cliches. You know, the movie. And without Levine, the movie has to shove off all of his horrible qualities onto Sarah. It's one thing to have an insufferable supporting character; you can't really afford to have your female lead being insufferable in the same ways. It's definitely one of the all-time worst novel to screen adaptations and that's really saying something.

SithSense likes this.
  18. SithSense

Sep 29, 2002

Movie Sarah isn't even consistent with her idiocy. She's the one who first talks about how the Rexes have a great sense of smell....and then spends most of the movie wearing the same jacket stained with the infant's blood, even after she's questioned about it.

Earlier in the film, she's going on and on about how they need to leave as little impact on the environment as possible so much so that they can't "bend a blade of grass"....mere minutes after getting attacked by a Stegosaurus for spooking its baby.

19. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    I'd say JW and TLW are on the same level.

The quality came into question almost immediately when you have a statue of Hammon in the new visitors center and don't do a ****ing close up. Huh?

20. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
  21. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Sure, right after we get feathers

22. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Though, to be fair, they tried to make the I-Rex into a Raptor.

Tried that in JP3, it sucked. :p And scientifically, we can blame it on the frog DNA,

Jedi Daniel, CT1138 and JoshieHewls like this.
  23. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    If I recall correctly, she's mocking Malcolm there because he doesn't want anyone to do anything on the island.

Hell, I love TLW. Never understood the hate it got (and personally, I found the novel to be...forgettable. I've read it a few times, and could honestly only recall a few scenes), but I'll go out there and say JW was superior to it.

But, hell, none of the sequels come close to the original, and they were never going to.

24. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    As for the quality of the Jurassic Park series argument, I put the T-Rex attack as my #1 Spielberg movie scene. Ever. that's a bit of a high bar. It's so good, it has a knock-on effect on how fantastic Jurassic Park is in the Spielberg film output. But that T-Rex attack is freakin' great.

As for the argument that Raptors are evil and always will be evil, well, maybe. But I think the original movie pushes the notion moreso than Raptors evil that the Raptors are very smart and they work in packs. So Chris Pratt's character has integrated himself into the pack where he's the Alpha so they look up and follow him. but they still have more than a few killer evil moments, like when the I-Rex compels them to attack and they totally munch on Vincent D'Offrio real good.

25. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000