main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Jurassic World, Fallen Kingdom, Dominion & Camp Cretaceous

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthBoba, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    Would be nice...but I think we'd be more likely to get that Disney/ABC Star Wars: Wraith Squadron live-action series long before Jurassic Park gets that type of treatment.

Though you know....a graphic novel would work.

2. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Was quite disappointed that there wasn't a 3rd novel for Jurassic Park III

3. Aytee-Aytee

Jul 20, 2008
    Technically there was....JP3 was basically all of the scenes in the novels that didn't make it into the first two movies.

4. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Really, that's interesting

5. Aytee-Aytee

Jul 20, 2008

Yep.

Stealing eggs? That was the Dodgson's motivation for going to Isla Sorna in TLW.

The aviary/pterosaur attack? That happened in the first JP, with Grant and the kids.

Kid has bottles of rex urine? Scene from TLW in which the male rex decides to mark his territory by rubbing foamy urine all over the cars.

Military shows up to save the survivors? A toned down (aka. neutered) nod to the first JP novel's ending.

Ellie's family? Mentioned in both JP that she was engaged, and in TLW she's mentioned as married with 2 kids.

River attack? From JP, but involved Alan and the kids and the T-Rex. This is also where Muldoon tranq'd the rex, which then chased the kids behind the waterfall and then fell out from the tranq dart.

6. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    Ugh, a multi-film literal adaptation of Crichton's enjoyable, though definitively schlocky and mediocre novel is the very last thing pop-culture needs these days.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I wouldn't be so sure- the unappreciated SNES JP game was actually a hybrid of the first film and the novel plotlines (ie: one of the mission goals was stopping the dinos on the boat, you had compys running around [this is before TLW used them], etc).

Sure, you couldn't play as a Raptor like in the Genesis game- but that novelty wore off very quickly. ;)

8. Aytee-Aytee

Jul 20, 2008
    The boat appeared in the sequel to the Genesis game. It also included the Aviary.

But, truth be told, I don't think either game was ever actually completed before they were shipped to stores. Case in point....each game could be completed in less than a half hour. The first JP only had seven levels, while Rampage Edition had six. Rampage Edition also had the distinct feature of a map that let you choose what area you wanted to explore next....however, the map only consisted of the lower half of the island and only three levels to choose. The other two sites were the last levels....the map screen didn't bother scrolling up to see where they are.
    [​IMG]
    That's all you got. See the cut-off sites at the top? You never saw anything more than that. The worst part is that none of the levels actually had an ending....you go for a while, and then the screen would instantly come back to the map and prompt you to choose a new level.

Also damning to Rampage Edition was that you had to collect canisters, DNA sequences, and fertilized eggs. (they're on the map screen as "Species Saved")
    But there was no reason to collect these items. No bonus points, no power ups....they just are there because....Jurassic Park. You weren't trying to save dinosaurs, you were trying to get the hell off the island.

Though I will say it was neat to actually kill the dinosaurs....zap one with a taser and it would actually collapse into a pile of ashes.

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That is pretty strange with the map. The SNES one had a pretty large overworld (with FPS interiors of buildings), and I believe it was continuous so it didn't have to worry about a map selection screen. It also had some pretty good music for a game that didn't use the JW music.

On a sidenote, you know with JP4 people are talking about wanting Malcolm and Grant returning, but after seeing JP1, the thought occurred to me: what about Lex and Tim?

At leats one of them is still active in acting and by now they're about in the same age range as Neil, Dern and Goldblum were for the first film. Lex the IT professional and Tim the electrician would have a different skillset to bring as adults to these situations (not mention lots of childhood emotional scarring! ;)).

10. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    The2ndQuest I'd love it if Lex and Tim came back. They're the right age like you said, and you damn well know Timmy went on to become the world's greatest archeologist :p

11. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Defiantly would love to see the two back. I think Joseph M. would agree to come back but don't know about Ariana Richards.

DarthBoba likes this.
  12. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    She still acts occasionally..she was willing to come back as Mindy in Tremors 3 in 2001, per IMDB.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I doubt she'd turn down the chance to return in another JP film.

The first film does raise the question of the profession's viability in a world where real dinosaurs exist. I could see a combination if that and his experiences as a kid turning him off of dinosaurs as a career.

Electrician or rock climber sounds about right, though ;).

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  14. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Timmy the professor would have a hard job trying to tell people how the Velociraptors are big smart scaly hunter-killers that jump through windows and open doors instead of turkey-sized feathered hunter-killers.

15. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    I just assume that since JP1 is set in about 1987/1988, they didn't know about the bigger Utahraptor species and assumed they had Velociraptors.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The movie isn't set in 87/88, though. The computer tech, clothing/hair styles and vehicle models are clearly 90's.

17. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    I'd venture a guess that if the characters are returning, they'll probably recast the roles.

18. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I hope the movie is so terrible that in the climax, Robocop comes in riding on a unicorn and punches several dinosaurs in the face.

19. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Utahraptor wasn't discovered until 1993, so there's a few years to play with. :p

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That works then- have JP be set in 92/93 when the film was made/distributed. Everything from TLW and JP3 is fallout experiments from that.

There's no need to, unless Lex's actress is fully retired/doesn't want to return. Tim's actor is still active- he was in The Social Network, GI Joe 2, The Pacific, etc. I'm sure the latter would love his adult face to be associated with the franchise as well.

If you're going to recast them, you might as well just make them different characters.

Summer Dreamer and DarthBoba like this.
  21. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    But they can get Megan Fox to play adult Lex!

Rogue1-and-a-half and DarthBoba like this.
  22. Aytee-Aytee

Jul 20, 2008
    Actually when Crichton was writing it, Deinonychus had just been discovered in Montana, and was thought to be a new species of Velociraptor. Granted, it still wasn't as big as the creatures on film, but still larger than the raptors from Mongolia.
    [​IMG]

Hence Grant and Ellie's intro was in Montana, and Grant doesn't want to leave because "We just found a new skeleton".

23. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    That's...not right. :p Deinonychus was originally discovered in 1969 by John Ostrum; It was lumped into the Velociraptor genus for a period, but that's since been switched.

24. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    ^ The guy in that chart seems to be saying, "Hi! I'm about to be mauled." :p

So we saw Jurassic Park 3D this past weekend. It was great, the 3D conversion may be the best one I've seen... very natural and realistic looking 3D that enhances the scenes without drawing attention away from the story. And it was truly a joy to get to hear a T-Rex and Velociraptors over a loud theater soundsystem again. My 6 year old son loved it, as predicted, but the surprise was that my 3 year old daughter really liked it too. We thought she might be pretty scared, but my wife wanted to see it too so we took a chance. I think my daughter was scared at times, but scared in a "fun" way... and she was too pulled in by the story to give up on it, so she ended up enjoying it.

Summer Dreamer and DarthBoba like this.
  25. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Back on the subject of Lex and Tim... honestly I would rather exclude Lex because I don't think Ariana Richardson acts anymore and even if they could get her to come back (which I'm sure they could given how much money she'd make), would she be any good? Who knows. I mean I guess it's possible. But with Tim, we already know that Joe Mazzello is a good actor. If you've seen The Pacific or his brief stint on Justified you can see that he'd be fine as a lead for JP4. Personally I'd love to see that.

DarthBoba likes this.