main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Jurassic World, Fallen Kingdom, Dominion & Camp Cretaceous

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthBoba, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I think Lecter was on screen for more like 15-16 minutes.

2. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    I didn't like the first trailer at all. All I could think was, so the antagonist is a volcano. This one is a little better as you can make out the plot (and probably the whole movie) as said above. It just looks like they took bits from every prior movie to create this one though. I'm sure I'll see it though. This one is going to do no where near what JW did at the box office. Wouldn't surprise me if it's over a 50% drop in the US.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  3. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I still get goosebumps hearing The John Williams themes in the scores and For me Jurassic World was a return to greatness after a lackluster JP 3 You can tell Trevorrow really cares about this franchise and loved it back in the day when he was younger. I think the same love for the source material can be said about Bayona! I wasn't blown away by the teaser for Fallen kingdom but the last two trailers blew me away It looks fantastic IMHO!

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  4. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    In addition to this, there's a musical rule about the converse; the music ONLY plays when the actual shark is really there. There are a few times when they have false alarms, like the stupid kids at the beach with the fake dorsal fin. For those times, there is no music. So it's only after seeing it that you realize the music was giving you a clue.

But it's the things like this that make Jaws one of the best movies of all time.

5. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I think my favorite part of Jurassic World was the beginning of the movie when the kids first come to the park and the boy opens the door to Hammond's vision (~2:00 mark)

6. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    well simply put Jaws was the start of a trend of Summer Blockbusters! with out Jaws may be you don't have Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and Jurassic Park and so many more movies that have graced our silver screens ever since 1975/ever since JAWS...

EHT likes this.
  7. Daft-Vader

Daft-Vader Chosen One star 8

Aug 6, 2008
    It does seem to me at least that the new films are almost a "what-if" alternate version of their predecessor:

JW - Version of JP where the park opened
    JW:FK Looks to be a version of TLW where the Dinosaurs are "successfully" taken off island

And from this the consequence and how things still go wrong.

Still not a complete fan of the whole Hybrid-Dino Monsters, but having read other Crichton works, it fits with what he may have done. Personally the real dinosaurs were just as scary as the indominous Rex, and something like a Utahraptor could easily be used instead of the Indoraptor. As epic as the whole T Rex taking down the smaller predator gyrosphere scene, still seems off - T Rex is not a hero, the next step should be then to have Rexy chase after the humans but anyway...

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  8. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    So, about a week ago, Fallen Kingdom has a premiere in Madrid and received positive feedback on Twitter from the folks who saw the film. Which has led the studio to feel confident about the film and have the embargo review date to be lifted on June 5, more than two weeks before the theatrical release.

I've only seen the first full trailer and have avoided seen any additional footage. I hope that first trailer didn't spoil the film.

I didn't have much interest in the film, but the positive buzz from the Madrid premiere has helped with my anticipation for the film.

Diggy likes this.
  9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
  10. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
  11. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I don't think Batman has enough shark repellent for The Meg.

[​IMG]

CT1138 and PCCViking like this.
  12. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I wonder how like the original Steve Alten novel it's based on, will it be?

13. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Looks a lot like one of the posters for the first Jurassic World. ;)

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  14. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    This one?

[​IMG]

PCCViking likes this.
  15. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    That's the one.

16. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Surely they’re aping the iconic Jaws poster.

17. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I thought A Monster Calls by JW:FA director J.A. Bayona was pretty great, had some nice hard turns between awe and horror which are actually kind of key in a Jurassic film. Opens up next week in Europe I believe so gonna have to put my head down for spoilers for a few more weeks, dahh!

18. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    The Impossible was really good as well! And I hear great things about The Orphanage!

Last night on NBC they showed The first JW movie and supposedly were going to show a sneak peek of JW Fallen Kingdom, Can someone please post the sneak peek I cant find it online?

19. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    It was nothing special. It just showed Christ Platt fighting the fire breathing dinosaur.

EHT likes this.
  20. Daft-Vader

Daft-Vader Chosen One star 8

Aug 6, 2008
    Fire breathing dinosaur...? [face_worried]

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  21. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    It’s been in every trailer?

22. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Are you talking about the Spino-looking dino they encounter in the room that seems to have lava pouring into it?

23. JediVision

JediVision Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2015
    So for some reason this is already out in Germany. Here's my (extremely negative) review:
    Yikes. This was awful. The problem isn't even that it's a rehash; in fact, the on-island stuff is completely over by about the 20-minute mark. It's that where it goes instead is so ridiculous. Basically, the plot of the movie is that the a formerly dormant volcano on the JW island is erupting again, and all of the dinosaurs are going to die unless somebody intervenes. The US government holds Congressional hearings and after Malcolm's testimony decides not to intervene. Cut to Claire who is now working at a non-profit trying to collect donations to fund a private operation to save the dinos. It's not going well, until she gets a call from a bedridden, in-failing-health Generic Billionaire (played by James Cromwell) who, in a stupid retcon, it turns out was Hammond's co-financier for the original JP. He wants to self-finance the dino rescue. Claire then recruits Owen to help her, and off they go with the privatized military squad. They get there, and it turns out that the squad is actually working for Generic Billionaire's Evil Caretaker, who has a nefarious plan to use the dinos for further genetic engineering experiments to "weaponize" them. Owen and Claire are ostensibly dispatched on the island, but they manage to stow away in the cargo of the huge carrier as it leaves the island. To this point, the movie is fine if completely unremarkable. The "plot" is as thin as it gets, but you have to admire the audacity of some of the shots on the volcanic island. The highlight is actually the "drowning gyrosphere," which is amazing in 3D; you feel like you're really stuck in that flooding glass bubble. [/COLOR]

It's all downhill from here, though. The dinos are all brought back to Generic Billionaire's mansion, and this is where it just goes completely off the rails. Apparently to the complete ignorance of GB, there is a huge dinosaur-zoo compound in the basement of his mansion, which of course has a wing where genetic scientists led by Dr. Henry Wu are furiously at work genetically modifying the dino DNA. Using the newly acquired dinosaurs, they create some fearsome new specimens and then invite hundreds of Bond villain-types from around the world for a massive auction of the dinosaurs. Everyone gathers in a massive auction hall and the dinosaurs, one-by-one, are wheeled out in cages by an elaborate staging mechanism. Each dinosaur fetches millions of dollars, but the piece de resistance is a weaponized hybrid raptor that can be trained to attack laser-painted targets. It's just a prototype and it's not for sale, but when one of the Bond villains dramatically offers 25 million for it, escalating bids ensue, and the Evil Butler decides on the spot to offer the prototype for sale after all. But, wouldn't you know it, it uses its Highly Advanced Cognitive Abilities to escape its cage and then runs around the lecture hall eating the attendees. This is where the movie goes from ridiculous to merely tedious; a quasi-horror sequence ensues where the prototype ventures from room to room in the house, seeking Generic Billionaire's adorable granddaughter (whose character has an entire subplot that's so pointless it's not even worth explaining here.) Basically the only reason this character exists is that we have somebody to be afraid for when the prototype prowls through the house, since we are happily cheering as it eats the Bond villains. In the end, Owen and Claire save Adorable Granddaughter, but all is not resolved yet. An accident of sorts has caused poisonous gas to begin overflowing the massive dinosaur-zoo, and they are all going to die unless they are released. Claire dramatically hovers her hand over an "OPEN FRONT DOOR" button (which may as well be labeled "SEQUEL POSSIBILITIES") but, at the urging of Owen, decides not to press it. As Owen praises her for having made the right decision, the door suddenly opens anyway; Adorable Granddaughter has decided to press it instead. ("They're alive, just like me.") The dinosaurs en masse escape the compound/mansion, and the entire incident instigates another Congressional Hearing. A montage of the free dinosaurs in various places of the United States plays, over which Malcolm ominously testifies that now dinosaurs are intermingled with the general human population, and we have no idea what's going to happen. "Welcome to Jurassic World."

If the movie doesn't sound awful from the synopsis I gave, let me assure you that it is, especially the quasi-horror sequence of the prototype prowling the mansion looking for the Adorable Granddaughter. Everything in it has been done before: the fake-out edits, the "everyone thinks they're safe, but then the dinosaur begins turning the door handle" bits, everything. By far the most ridiculous thing about it is the idea that the Evil Butler has been running this massive operation in the basement the entire time, and Cromwell's character, sitting in bed all day, has absolutely no idea, even as the ridiculous dinosaur auction takes place. [/LEFT]
    [/SIZE]

Admittedly I haven't paid too much attention to the development of this movie, but from the trailers I've seen, I thought more or less the whole movie was going to take place outdoors either on the island or dealing with the large-scale ramifications of the dinosaurs leaving the island (i.e the huge dinosaur attacking the surfers.) Roughly 75% of the movie actually takes place in Cromwell's mansion, and it's a claustrophobic setting only rendered worse by the sheer ridiculousness of the dinosaur auction. (How was this hundred-million-dollar auction of "weaponized dinosaurs" marketed around the world without any authorities catching the slightest wind of it?) Clearly, the sequel is going to be about the large-scale ramifications of the dinosaur escape, but since the auction in the movie was completely ruined and therefore entirely inconsequential, that should have just been what this movie was about. After the movie ended, I said it should have just been called "Jurassic House."

This movie probably has the most palpable "this franchise is completely out of gas" air about it since Rocky V, but then again, the premise set up at the end of movie has potential for interest, even though it will probably just be the plot of TLW on a larger scale, similar to how JW was that to JP1. I guess they just got greedy trying to pad it out with a middle installment, but I have a feeling the word-of-mouth on this is going to be horrendous, so it could hurt the franchise in the long run.

I have literally only two positive things to say about this movie: There's a subtle-but-hilarious jab at Trump in the few minutes (keep your eye on that news ticker) and, as I said above, the "drowning gyrosphere" sequence is terrific in 3D.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  24. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I have my tickets for the premiere. Honestly, I'm just expecting goofy dumb fun like the original (lol) JW and nothing more.

25. JediVision

JediVision Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2015
    That's sort of the problem with the movie; that's basically what we all want from the movie, but instead it tries to be something much more, and fails miserably.

It sort of reminds me of Iron Man 2, in that the opening of the movie raises interesting philosophical themes, and then spends the next 90 minutes doing all sorts of wacky stuff, but not addressing them at all.