main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Jurassic World, Fallen Kingdom, Dominion & Camp Cretaceous

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthBoba, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I agree about being disappointed with The Lost World movie after reading the book but to be fair I was to young to read the First JP book in the early 90's before the First JP Movie came out. may be had I read the first JP Book before I saw the first JP Movie I might have been disappointed with the first JP Movie? After the initial disappointment with TLW Movie I thought long and hard about it and came to the realization that the movie is just based on the book and the movie is simply a Spielberg Movie and now I love TLW! TLW Is one of Jeff Goldblum's best besides the original JP movie and The fly and going into movies based on books with this mindset I enjoy movies a lot more now! It Is why I loved a movie like Ready Player One even though it was different then the book!

Have you guys seen the box office for this, something like 145 million and that's just an estimate it could be higher, Me thinks repeat viewings for a lot of JP nerds people must really like it and it is making a killing over seas!

I love the Soundtrack by Giacchino has anyone else bought the Soundtrack? I bought It on CD and It came last Monday I absolutely love It!

as for JP3 It was just cheesy The talking Raptors, Barny The Dinosaur the fact it hardly had any outdoor practical effects and was mostly in a studio. Like others brought up the ending seemed incomplete. It also felt like a TV Movie and I absolutely hate Tea Leoni. I usually like William H Macy he was born and raised one town over from where I lived I lived In Frederick Maryland he lived In Hagerstown Maryland and still has a home there. William H Macy was horrible in this had to be his worst film. and out of all the kids in any of these movies the kid in JP3 was the worst hands down. I also hated the Score for JP3 it sounded like a TV movie soundtrack

As for JW It felt just as epic as the First two JP films I loved the Actors and Michael Giacchino's score was magnificent! One knock on the film Not enough Animatronics but I think they remedied that In JW2 with Neal Scanlon coming on board! And being a huge Jimmy Buffet fan I loved the inclusion of Jimmy Buffet!

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
  2. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    I mean just look at the teaser trailers for JP3 and JW,

JP3's looks like someone made it on a 1980's camcorder JW's looks epic and something I really have to see that Is what most of us said when we saw it!

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    You're comparing a true logo teaser trailer made in 2000 to a full trailer made in 2014.

Compare it to the teasers for the first two films (but especially TLW) which didn't use footage from the actual films (or maybe just some 2nd unit B-roll for JP):

JP3's was still weaker but it's a much more fair comparison.

The full JP3 trailer would be the closer comparison to your JW1 example:

(obviously accounting for different trailer era methods and 13 years of CGI advancements; not to mention whether or not a film had an actual finished script to market).

EHT, Jedi Daniel and TCF-1138 like this.
  4. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    no I was comparing teasers what you posted was the first trailer I typed in Jurassic World Teaser and that's what I got that Is the teaser I believe that dropped Thanksgiving week 2014 the same week the teaser for TFA came out. Most films don't do Logo Teasers anymore that Is a thing of the past in any rate I thought the Teaser for JW was better then the one you posted even if I didn't post the teaser for JW IMHO JW's was way better Light Years better you cant even compare IMHO they just make trailers better now for instance take a look at this just for reference,

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I did specify that you do have to account for different trailer era methods (ie: JP3 in 2000/2001 was still the peak of the "Trailer Narrator" cliche, whereas JW in 2014 is among the early onslaught of the "Piano Keystroke" cliche.

My point, though, was, as you mentioned, they don't really do logo teasers anymore (those are now more commonly saved for Comi-Con events and the like). As a result, JW didn't have a real logo teaser trailer like the first 3 films did. Like most modern films, the "teaser trailer" for JW is closer to simply being "Trailer #1".

Thus, I was trying to convey that comparing an older-style logo teaser to a modern "Trailer #1" isn't really apples to apples, even if they are both the first "teasers" for their respective films. By instead comparing the JP3 "Trailer #1" to the JW "teaser"/"Trailer #1", you get a much more similar set of material to contrast: actual footage from the film (some shots without FX), not a detailed rundown of the story, just teasing you with the initial premise and threat, etc.

Without derailing the thread by going too in-depth, it all depends on your criteria. Most trailers before the late 80's (like that ESB example) are often unrecognizable due to the pacing of trailers and production/FX at the time. It's not until the 90's that the modern trailer really emerged (though there are always exceptions). It's just the trappings around it that keep changing.

90's had Trailer Voice Guy and repurposed music from other movies. Mid/Late-90's started adding in fancy title cards under the narration as software emerged to make that easier to produce. Trailer Voice Guy got killed off by too many cliches permeating the public consciousness around the time of Planet of the Apes and the one Jerry Seinfeld movie. Then the 2000's brought in the Choir of Doom (think Spider-Man 2, etc) and more original/generic music. Late-2000's/early-2010's brought in the BWWWOMMMM with Inception and Transformers 2. Mid-2010's brought in the Silence and Piano Keystroke (TFA, JW, etc). And in recent years the Creepy Cover of a Classic Song has emerged as the latest trend.

They all become silly after a certain point but that doesn't mean they cease being good. For instance, some of the best trailers ever made came out in the 90's even though they utilized the trappings of the medium at the time.

For instance, to bring this back around on-topic, the first non-logo trailer for TLW is still outstanding:

Although, granted, it avoids trailer narration (though the TV spots didn't). Still, as I had not seen Backdraft until a year or two later when it came out on a non-Jewel Case DVD release, that trailer firmly owns the magnificent "Burn It All" by Hans Zimmer as being more associated with TLW than Backdraft.

It's so good, I dare say it's cheating to actually use it in a trailer.

BigAl6ft6 and gezvader28 like this.
  6. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Saw this on Saturday. I can’t believe there’s no dinosaurs in it. It’s just about some man and his giant dog, who win a spaceship playing cards.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Looking ahead at JW3 in 3 years, some details from recent weeks:

JW3 will be a "science thriller":

Trevorrow, who is currently writing Jurassic World 3 with Emily Carmichael is mum on plot details but does say the final film will still feature Owen (Chris Pratt) and Claire (Bryce Dallas Howard). He adds, “But there’s other characters who we’ll meet in Fallen Kingdom you’ll realize are major characters.”

Trevorrow also says the next film will be most close in tone to Steven Spielberg’s 1993 original. Reveals the director, “If I could contextualize each film, I would say Jurassic World was an action adventure, Fallen Kingdom is kind of a horror suspense film, and Jurassic World 3 will be a science thriller in the same way that Jurassic Park was.”
    And it won't feature any hybrids:

I'm looking forward to, in the third film, getting a little back into the Paleontological, wild animal, true dinosaur nature of all of it.

I like that last part, since it was already getting repetitive after having genetic hybrid experiments in two consecutive films (potentially three, if you count the Spino in JP3).

Ghost, EHT and Jedi Daniel like this.
  8. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    Well I know we kind of got off topic there but my main point Is IMHO JP3 Is a horrible film and the worst entry and IMHO It Is blasphemy to put JW and JP3 in the same sentence let alone the same universe. :)

On another note I am seeing Fallen Kingdom for the first time today with my sister at 3:45PM I am really excited for this I will let you all know what I think afterwards. I am seeing it a second time after my other sister who is in town with her 3 kids after she goes back home to Maryland I will see It again with my dad and nephew.

9. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I think they need to do some drastic to refresh this series. I would propose that the next Jurassic Park film be a very early prequel that includes no living dinosaurs at all.

Daft-Vader likes this.
  10. JediVision

JediVision Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2015
    I [face_love] the original Independence Day trailer with the Crimson Tide music.

heels1785 and The2ndQuest like this.
  11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Another piece of music I associate more with the trailer it was used in rather than the film it was composed for.

I wonder what the last trailer to do that was. Star Trek 11? I know that’s an outlier and that the trend died off much earlier, though.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
  12. JediVision

Sep 6, 2015
    Another repurposed-music trailer I liked was the Avatar theatrical trailer which used music from Michael Bay's The Island.

Any other good ones?

Regarding Jurassic Park III, does anyone know if there's any sort of behind-the-scenes explanation behind its incredibly abrupt ending? For as long as I can remember, whenever I've been in a movie theatre watching a movie that sucked and I wanted to be over, I've always sort of composed a "here's how this movie could abruptly end in the next 30 seconds" scenario in my head. JPIII amuses me because it basically has that. It's hard for me to believe that it was just written that way in the script from the get-go. Seems far more likely there were some production overrun issues and they had to improvise.

13. Daft-Vader

Daft-Vader Chosen One star 8

Aug 6, 2008
    Have to say, I do like the sound of a JP-prequel, seeing how things started, finishing with the hatching of the first dinosaurs.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    JP3 never had a finished script during production- it was essentially filmed as the pages were written. The original script *they were going to use (the second story concept, IIRC) was rejected a little over a month before filming was set to begin. However, sets, props, costumes, etc had already begun being made for that rejected script, so the final film still had to incorporate those elements within the new "rescue mission" story (primarily the aviary and lab).

As for the ending itself? I don't know if it was budgetary issues due the above or they just didn't realize how it came across at the time (they filmed the ending during a second round of Hawaii shooting since the ending hadn't been written during the initial shoot).

*The original idea was seemingly inspired by the Costa Rica mainland attacks subplot from the first book, with Alan being part of the team investigating. Alan's part of the group eventually crash land on the island, which is where the aviary and lab sequences would take place, while the other group continues the mainland investigation.

I had been thinking about how a JP prequel might be the way to go in the future once the JW trilogy is finished but I don't see how they could make a film that would deliver what audiences want from the franchise (ie: people getting chased by dinos).

The first film's setup is basically centered around the "Shoot her!" incident being what triggers the insurance/backer concerns that necessitates bringing in Alan, Ellie & Ian, etc. So having some kind of dino incident doesn't seem possible (only Muldoon's "They're lethal at 8 months- and I do mean lethal." comment might leave an opening for something small-scale). It would also undermine Hammond's vision and role if this was the second time things had gone wrong.

Add to that most of the actors who could serve in a prequel have either been aged out of the role (and you're not going to get de-aging CGI for a whole film) or have died. So you can't even, say, focus on a popular character like Roland Tembo.

That said, some kind of interquel set before JW but after JP3 has a lot of territory it could explore- the end of Ingen, Biosyn is probably still around, Masrani acquiring the islands/assets, the development of the Spino as a test for the techniques that would breed the I-Rex down the road, the Gene Guard Act, the Dinosaur Protection Group being formed, the birth of Blue, etc. If Masrani moved all the Sorna dinos to Nublar for the park, then that whole operation would actually be a perfect setting for a movie (since you could do a mirror to Lost World's hunt and Fallen Kingdom's heartless captures).

15. JediVision

Sep 6, 2015
    The Spino was a real dinosaur, wasn't it?

16. Daft-Vader

Daft-Vader Chosen One star 8

Aug 6, 2008
    Agree with the issues of a JP Prequel. As you say, many people just interested in the dinosaurs chasing/eating would be disappointed, the film would be a whole different type. It might serve better as a book, would be interesting to see the fallout from Hammond and Lockwoods arguments, seeing how their views differed. But with Michael Crichton no longer around, not sure who would/could write it.

Interqual would be good, but it would now be the third TLW-style film if you go with the catching Sorna's dinos. Then again, it would be interesting to see.

One thing with Fallen Kingdom
    How comes the I-Rex's skeleton is perfectly preserved on the bottom of the lake/lagoon? Surely the Mosasaur did more then just drag it under and leave it there - especially since there would be less food with the park abandoned.

Rumour is it is now considered a hybrid

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, basically JP3 introduced some continuity errors by introducing the Spino. First, the Spino was not on any of the InGen dino species lists shown in the films. Second, if TLW & JP3 are both set on Sorna, where was the Spino during TLW (especially if it was as aggressive as depicted in JP3)?

The latter is sometimes handwaved away by saying that JP3 takes place on a different part of Sorna than TLW (which also helps explain the noticeable California vs Hawaii shooting location differences between the films), however, this doesn't entirely track- especially since the lab area was intended (though is unstated) to be the same one from TLW as a vehicle with a broken window is meant to be the same one a raptor burrowed through to get at Malcolm in TLW), among other details.

So, as a retcon, there is the suggestion (and I believe this is hinted at in/supported by some of JW2's viral materials) that the Spino wasn't on Sorna in TLW, that it was an early, illegal, experiment by InGen modifying species / blending traits together and then dumped on Sorna after TLW to cover it up before JP3. This would explain why the Spino is so aggressive/kill-happy in JP3 despite real Spinos supposedly being fish eaters. And it explains why it wouldn't be on InGen's original lists.

That retcon further states that the experiments like the Spino were the predecessor to the techniques/experiments by Masrani to create the I-Rex.

PCCViking and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  18. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    One thing I will say the I-Rex in Jurassic World had a great, slow reveal of it's different abilities to the dawning realization that this is not a Dinosaur but a mutated freak, it has character and establishing scenes and a good burn of escalating stakes. The I-Raptor in Jurassic World is basically a random "Hey! I'm here! I'm a somewhat spikier Raptor / smaller I-Rex! Look at me!" But, as much as one can find a gripes in this movie, there is some great action and setpieces, and I still find enjoyment in dinosaurs eating screaming people.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The Indo had some setup- we just never saw it before the auction in the flesh. But the whole prologue was about getting the source material to make it and the whole focus on capturing Blue in the middle part of the movie was tied to the Indo's development.

Also, consider, that we never saw the T-Rex in the first film before the goat disappeared.

PCCViking likes this.
  20. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    That's true but I think the I-Rex actually has a legit cool series of reveals that continue basically all the way throughout the film. The I-Raptor is more of a 2nd half of the movie threat and what you see is what you get, really. Although I did like at one point where it looked like it was grinning evily as a very stupid human leaned over it.

I like this movie but I like it about as much as Lost World which is it gets by mostly on setpieces and dinosaurs being cool. Jurassic Park III has a hard time of pulling even that off. But in my personal series ranking I'd go Jurassic Park is a legit classic and top 3 Spielberg. Jurassic World is a decent, decades-later follow up. Then sorta Fallen Kingdom and Lost World mashed together in the middle. JPIII at the bottom.

This does seem like a parallel to Lost World the same way JW is to JP as there is a strong environmentalism theme in the middle installments but I always find it hard to feel too much for the dinosaurs cuz all they do is eat people. Blue I can't sympathize with cuz it's a damned dirty murdering raptor, no matter how many baby Raptor flashbacks they give me. I did feel for the dino left behind on the island dock, that was actually pretty great.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, I wish they hadn't used that dino for the "Ooh, ahhh" moment by the wrecked visitor center as a calback to JP1 though. It showing up at the docks at the end would have been a much more powerful symbol if the first dino we truly saw in JP1 was the last one we saw on Isla Nublar without having the reminder at the start of that sequence.

I still prefer TLW over all the films, even though JP1 is the only movie actually better than it, TLW is more rewatchable- and I actually like most of the characters better. There's a few misfires since the cast is so much larger and Ludlow is cartoony evil, but Tembo, Malcolm, Sarah & Nick are all much more interesting to watch than Ellie, Alan and the kids.

PimpBacca and PCCViking like this.
  22. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Oh I agree, the brontosaur reveal on island was hard to take seriously cuz it was almost note for note the same as the herd reveal. but the island explodey farewell is actually great. I could have taken clipping out the first scene but, to be fair, it does at least establish the brontosaur for it's goodbye scene in this film.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I just think it didn't need that establishing moment because, this is JP/JW sequel. The bronto reveal is arguably the most iconic thing in the whole franchise outside of the impact waves in the water. We don't need to be reminded of it.

Speaking of the island, kinda appropriate that Isla Nublar, which was bombed at the end of the first book, still gets all explodey by the end of its role in the films- just from below and not above.

24. obi_kenobi_24

obi_kenobi_24 Force Ghost star 4

Aug 17, 2003
    Havent seen it...don't plan to in theaters but I have seen some spoilers.....

And I have to say....I thought they would do something like that, in regards to the islands. to hype up Nublars explosion.
    Sorry I don't buy that Ingen or whoever went onto Sorna and moved all the Dinos to Nublar. Also the fisherman who dropped Ians team off in the TLW heavily hinted that all five islands the "Five Deaths" had dinos on them and that he heard too many stories of local fisherman who came too close to them that went missing.

They should have just went full Reboot with JW

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That's the one plot point i really think needs to be addressed. They don't state that the Sorna dinos were brought to Nublar (though i imagine some were) but the scenario seems to require Sorna to be evacuated or its inhabitants otherwise dead (perhaps the lysine deficiency actually kicked in due to whatever food source running out that was providing them a supplement?). But, yeah, that's the only distracting part (especially for me, since my view of the franchise is so TLW-centric).

They do mention a sanctuary somewhere- but even if that was Sorna, its previous inhabitants would still need to be addressed (as the extinction aspect of Nublar blowing wouldn't be as pressing if they were still present on Sorna).

BigAl6ft6 likes this.