main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Just a guy not understanding the hate for TPM here..

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by JediSteve30, May 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediSteve30

JediSteve30 Jedi Youngling

May 16, 2005
    I don't understand all the hate for The Phantom Menace. I personally think it's pretty good. Obviously, not even close to being one of the best of the Star Wars films, but I still like it. Some complain about it's slow nature.. but all of it is neccessary.. and the end action is really good. Some people solely don't like it due to Jar Jar.. ok, admittedly I do not like him either.. but he's not THAT bad that he ruins the whole movie.

2. LordDesann

LordDesann Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2005
    I liked TPM. Had a lot of Jedi action, and made the Universe deeper with its introduction of the Trade Federation. Of course Darth Maul was awesome. The one reason why I like it and don't love it is because of Jar Jar and young Anakin. Theres a thread going on now that Jar Jar wasn't that bad. He is absolutely terrible. He is the worst example of forced comedic relief in film making. His antics consist of fart jokes and clumsiness. God I shudder everytime Qui Con asks him not to do something and he predictably does the opposite.

3. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    1. ROTS
    2. ESB
    3. TPM
    4. ANH
    5. ROTJ
    6. AOTC

4. Solo_So_Low

Solo_So_Low Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2005
    i totally love TPM, seriously worship it. but i guess i can see how the ppl who grew up with the OT dont like it as much. from their point of view its just so different and more light hearted - but of course this is necessary as the entire saga is about anakin and it had to start as him being a child, so of course the movie will have a more "childish" (not really the right word) nature. nevertheless i prefer it to attack of the clones. i think theres a large section in the middle of AOTC where nothing happens

5. JediSteve30

JediSteve30 Jedi Youngling

May 16, 2005
    Yeah, Jar Jar is pretty bad. I just don't feel he was bad enough to make the whole movie terrible.

My list is this:

1. ROTS
    2. ESB
    3. ANH
    4. ROTJ
    5. TPM
    6. AOTC

Honestly though, there's only a tiny space in between all of them, I like them all. Attack of the Clones was kind of a disappointment because, for it's name, it should have more Clone-Droid battles. More of a love story really, something that as an add on is cool, but almost the whole movie revolved around it. I don't look for love stories in a movie called Star WARS. That's why I put it at the bottom of the list, but even with that being said I still like it.

6. Solo_So_Low

Solo_So_Low Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2005
    JediSteve - that statement you just posted is EXACTLY how i feel! i always tell me friends that same thing

7. dwd3885

dwd3885 Jedi Knight

Apr 28, 2005
    I totally agree. TPM receives unfair criticism. For starters, it's one of the better looking films in the saga. It has the best duel in it. Yeah Jar-Jar is there for the comedic relief but did you guys not see C3P0 in ROTJ or Harrison Ford in ALL the OT. Qui-Gon is the stuff.

8. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    I don't understand it either. I watched both TPM and AOTC this past Sunday (the day after a four-viewings-in-three-days marathon for ROTS), and I was surprised by how good they both are, how involving. Sure, they've both got plenty of flaws, especially AOTC, but I really don't think that they deserve to be hated and slammed as much as they are.

9. wcleere

wcleere Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2002
    TPM is fantastic. Many fans were simply not ready for that kind of movie. They wanted ROTS, which is also fantastic, but the story had to get there first. In reality there are many of us out there who love TPM. Unfortunately we have had to hide in the shadows like so many hunted Jedi because of fan boys and their prequel hatred. But "The Circle is now Complete." The PT has been redeemed, and it's finally ok to admit you didn't hate TPM.

10. JBRO_13

JBRO_13 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 1, 2002
    It's because of this:

-Too slapstick
    -Too geared towards kids
    -Not dark enough
    -Terrible acting from a child actor
    -Terrible editing from a sound effects engineer
    -Terrible puppet of Yoda

Other than that, I aguree, it's good.

11. Starman1138

Starman1138 Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2005
    I dont hate TPM as a whole, I hate certain parts of it. Like I dont get why every CG charecter had to have some stupid gimmick (Jar Jar is clumsy, Boss Nass does that stupid gum flap, etc.). If Lucas goes back and maybe changes their lines/voices and drops the gimmicks (They were CG so it would be easy) for the next version of TPM it could become one of my favorite SW movies.

I think the bottom line is that, as stated above, its too slapstick and rough around the edges. The plot is actually good and its a nice beginning for the franchise but its not executed properly. Theres some stuff thats awsome (R2s introduction, Duel of the fates battle, starfighter battle minus anakins lines, qui gons funeral, finale) but then theres so much which brings the movie down. Its really unfortuante.

12. RurouniKJS

RurouniKJS Jedi Youngling star 2

May 4, 2005
    Starman pretty much nails it. TPM doesn't totally suck; parts are quite good. But the bad seriously outweighs the good. If I did a commentary track for the film, you TPM fans would hate me.

13. Padmes_love_slave24

Padmes_love_slave24 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 24, 2003
    I don't recognize people who hate TPM as fans!

14. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    And with that, this thread is done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.