main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Just a question

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Wise-Master, Jan 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wise-Master

Wise-Master Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 11, 2002
    Who has all the authority of all the forums? As I said... it is just a question.

2. yodaboy

yodaboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 5, 2001
    Vertical Is the "supreame chancellor" of these boards. He was appointed by Josh who started and is the owner of the site.

3. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    Yes Vertical.

4. citizen-tom

citizen-tom Jedi Knight star 5

May 20, 2002
    Vert may be Supreme Chancellor, but the buck still stops at Josh.

...and maybe Phillip, depending on whatever the heck happend with Rebelscum.

5. Admiral_Thrawn60

Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jul 8, 2000
    Joshua Griffin, Scott Chitwood, and Philip Wise each own 1/3 of the site, and so ultimately they are in control. Vertical is the Supreme Chancellor, and so he controls the boards. Scott, Josh, and Philip simply don't have the time. A complete list of the board staff can be found here.

6. Wise-Master

Dec 11, 2002
    Thank you

And one more thing...

Who chosses someone to be part of the administration? Just curious. I am not familiar with this topic. Give as much information as possible.

7. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    Who chosses someone to be part of the administration? Just curious. I am not familiar with this topic. Give as much information as possible.

I believe you 1st have to be a mod. To be a mod you have to be asked by another mod or someone higher up. Then it goes form there.

8. yodaboy

yodaboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 5, 2001
    Basically, to become a moderator, when the moderators in their private little forum have decided that they need another moderator, they make a list, and pick a final person or two to promote. I believe after 3 months they then become a manager, and after that, promotion to administrator is somewhat rare. Lemme dig up a link to further explain...

JC FAQ, or for more, visit the Communications forum thread index at the top :)

9. Wise-Master

Dec 11, 2002
    Thank you! I now know how the system works.

10. Jon_Snow

Jon_Snow Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 4, 2001
    It used to be that Darth Ludicrous would gather together a bunch of pigs, one for each member of the JC, and he?d pin the name of a user onto the back of each pig. The pigs would mingle for a while, then he?d jump into the pen with them. The first that he could haul to the ground would have the username pinned to each back promoted to moderator.

This method was discontinued after DL was forced to buy over 50,000 pigs for the promotions of Liz Skywalker and several other moderators (everyone promoted at the same time as Liz has since retired). It nearly broke DL, and he had to mortgage his collection of SW memorabilia to pay for them. The last laugh was his though; he was able to corner the bacon market for months, and made a tidy profit. But having to clean up the mess that 50,000 pigs made in his back yard made him swear to do that never again.

Starting with the promotion of jp-30, and then Gandolf the Grey and Sturm Antilles, and then for every moderator since, the administrators have developed a new tactic that works almost as well. DarthSapient, Kadue, Padme Bra, and Vertical meditate and fast for ten days, then praying each morning facing the rising sun and again in the evening facing the first star to be seen. At the end of this period comes the wisdom of knowing that the meditation and praying stuff isn?t really all that effective.

So they post a thread asking who should be promoted. The moderators for the given forum shrug and put forward some names. Everyone else in the Mod Squad looks at those names, and says ?Uh, I think that I?ve seen one of them in Community once or twice. I think.? The moderators for the given forums post long spiels detailing the exploits, merits, and flaws of the users being considered. Everyone nods knowingly, and then either abstains, votes for the one that they think that they remember seeing in Community, chooses at random, or picks the one that the forum moderators seem to support.

After a week or two, someone decides that no new votes are going to come in, and then PM the individual to ask if they want to be a moderator. Normally, the chosen individual says something like ?Yes, that would be an honor? or ?OMGYES!OMGYES!OMGYES!OMGYES!? The exception would be Genghis; rumor has it that when Gandolf asked if he wanted to be a moderator, Genghis asked Gandolf if he was smoking crack. That?s just rumor, mind you.

Beyond that, I know nothing, sorry.

[face_mischief]

11. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    I believe the most current meathod of finding a new mod consists of whichever user posts this:
    [image=http://members.rogers.com/alienacid/admin.gif]
    image the most, that user will be made the next mod.

:p

12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    The exception would be Genghis; rumor has it that when Gandolf asked if he wanted to be a moderator, Genghis asked Gandolf if he was smoking crack. That?s just rumor, mind you.

I, personally, would be particularly inclined to believe that one, Jon... ;)

13. Jon_Snow

Jon_Snow Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 4, 2001
    //looks up

Hmm. Worth a try.

Can I have colors now?

14. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    > So they post a thread asking who should be promoted. The moderators for the given forum shrug and put forward some names. Everyone else in the Mod Squad looks at those names, and says ?Uh, I think that I?ve seen one of them in Community once or twice. I think.? The moderators for the given forums post long spiels detailing the exploits, merits, and flaws of the users being considered. Everyone nods knowingly, and then either abstains, votes for the one that they think that they remember seeing in Community, chooses at random, or picks the one that the forum moderators seem to support.

So close to the truth, it hurts. [face_laugh]

I still wish that I was picked via the pig method, though. The "new" way has no prestige attached... :(

15. Porkins in a Speedo

Porkins in a Speedo Jedi Knight star 5

May 6, 1999
    Who has all the authority of all the forums?

Teh Me?.

16. Jedi_Ben_Skywalker

Jedi_Ben_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 19, 2002
    Phillip?! Who is this 'Phillip'?

17. Protege-of-Thrawn

Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 14, 2001
    Phil? Why none other then one-third of the infamous three stooges who begat these wonderful forums.

18. Admiral_Thrawn60

Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jul 8, 2000
    Philip Wise. He owns 1/3 of TFN. He also heads things up over at Rebelscum.com. He can be reached at philip@rebelscum.com

19. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998
  20. Abner_Doon

Abner_Doon Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 23, 2001
    I loved the all the drama surrounding the who TFN/Rebelscum deal, and whether it happened, and how pissed off some people got if it was mentioned. Then I go to CelebrationII and am gazing over the Rebelscum stall and some guy *behind the counter* sees my nametag and is like "Hmm, I've heard of you, Hi, I'm Joshua from TFN". :D

21. Wise-Master

Dec 11, 2002
    I see that a few of you have those mod promotion signs, but I didn't have the idea of beign in the administration. I just wanted to know how the system works.

You see, as I look around, not much people seem to like the mods. And I just wanted to know how a mod became a mod.

By the way, has there been anyone, who always argued with the mods, or went aganist them all the time, or something to that effect?

(To me, the mods abuse their power in some way, or another. However, (I'm sounding like Bush now) if they gave me a list of regulations that they follow that I don't know about, then I will rest. Does anyone know if they do?)

22. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    "You see, as I look around, not much people seem to like the mods."

:( Sad, isn't it? :_|

"By the way, has there been anyone, who always argued with the mods, or went aganist them all the time, or something to that effect?"

Yep, there have been plenty of people like that.

"To me, the mods abuse their power in some way, or another."

How so?

"However, (I'm sounding like Bush now) if they gave me a list of regulations that they follow that I don't know about, then I will rest. Does anyone know if they do?"

There's always the Terms of Service.

23. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000
    A number of forums also have additional guidelines that are posted in FAQ's or information threads. Look for stickey threads at the top of the forum, or links at the top of the page.

~H~

24. Wise-Master

Dec 11, 2002
    You mods base the way you do your job on the Terms of Service?

By the way, what EXACTLY is your job?

25. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    We get rid of everything that doesn't comply to the Terms of Service, and we try to make this place as enjoyable as possible for everyone who visits.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.