main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Just A Rumor: Is Kyp Adopted?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Lianna, Feb 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lianna

Lianna Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2001
    I was on another board and thier it was said that thier was a rumor going around that Kyp was adopted. I had not heard that before. It sounds interesting. Who could be his real parents. Could he be Han's son? Maybe Baron Fel's son. That would be interesting. What do you think? Give us some theories.

2. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    Ric Olié!

:)

I doubt it would happen. But it would be quite intresting

3. JediStryker

JediStryker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 5, 2000
    Kyp...I am your father!

(figured I'd get it out of the way now)

4. exar-tull

exar-tull Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 22, 2001
    i highly dought that.

5. Lianna

Nov 9, 2001
    On the other board I've just learned that the rumor says that he is the son of one of Palpatine's dark lords and he was sent to live with parents who would raise him well and who were sympathetic to the Jedi. His being adopted would account for no one else in his family having Jedi powers. I was wondering if his father could be darth vader. It would explain his connection to Jacen and Jaina in DJ.

6. JediStryker

Mar 5, 2000
    I seriously doubt that, but if it did turn out to be true, the EU could kiss my hairy butt good-bye.

(as far as the NJO is concerned, at any rate. and it's not that hairy.)

7. Lianna

Nov 9, 2001
    Stryker, what would be so bad about it?

8. exar-tull

Feb 22, 2001
    i am with jedistryker on this one.

9. JediStryker

Mar 5, 2000
    Well, first off, I think that Luke and Leia were pretty much it for the big DV; any more kids and we'd probably have a great 'Vader Offspring' search go down. Lame. 'Sides, how was he having kids anyway? I doubt he saw much action in that big suit. And a convoluted "we created Kyp to become another Vader" plot would be completely a waste, IMESHO.

Secondly, it's a little ridiculous to be pulling that kind of stuff out of thin air. I mean Kyp Leia and Luke's little brother? Just a little soap-opera-ish and hokey to me.

Third, and very unfairly, I don't like Kyp. He's one of the characters I honestly can't stand, and it would be a real downer for me if he ended up a Skywalker.

Those are my reasons for not liking it, take 'em or leave 'em. It's all a matter of taste too, I suppose.

10. Lianna

Nov 9, 2001
    IF Kyp were Vader's son it would explain why Kyp was following Leia around for a while in DJ for no explicable reason. It would explain his actions toward Luke. Sort of a sibling rivalry. Further, Luke and Kyp would seem to have a similar relationship as Anakin and Jacen. It makes a little sense.

You don't have to like Kyp to ponder these ideas. Besides I think it is only a rumor.

11. JediStryker

Mar 5, 2000
    IF Kyp were Vader's son it would explain why Kyp was following Leia around for a while in DJ for no explicable reason.

I haven't finished DJ yet (beem gone for awhile) so I cannot offer any explanations for this action that wouldn't be baseless. However, there could be a myriad of reasons for Kyp following Leia around, not the least of which could be Kyp's almost-familial relationship with Han.

It would explain his actions toward Luke. Sort of a sibling rivalry. Further, Luke and Kyp would seem to have a similar relationship as Anakin and Jacen. It makes a little sense.

Does make a little sense, I suppose, but Kyp has always been a rebellious one, so his actions towards Luke are really no different than they are towards anyone who doesn't agree with him.

I'm not saying that the idea is not true or worth pondering; I'm simply stating that I think it's a silly plot twist and I personally would not like it.

12. Silac5

Silac5 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 12, 2001
    The GFFA is already small enough, Kyp being a Skywalker would just make it that much smaller for me, but that's just me. As JediStryker said, its all a matter of personal preference.

13. Lianna

Nov 9, 2001
    True it would seem to slim the GFFA down if he was a Skywalker. Stryker you're right, the connection to Leia could be for any number of reasons.

Suppose he was Palpatine's son.

14. exar-tull

Feb 22, 2001
    we already have ken palpatine and triclops.

15. Lianna

Nov 9, 2001
    That thought ocurred to me to Exar, why would they hide palpatine's son. The answer to that would lie in who his mother was and the circumstances of his birth. I'm still leaning toward him being Vader's son even though it would be a bit redundant.

16. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    It'd would be sorta interesting. It would all depend on who his real parents were though...

17. wampa

wampa Jedi Master star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    From the SW Encyclopedia Kyp Durron entry:

...He and his parents were carted off by stormtroopers one night from their home on the Deyer colony in the Anoat system. The crime of politically active parents: speaking out against the Empire's destruction of Alderaan and its billions of inhabitants. Kyp and his parents were sent to the Imperial Correctional Facility on the planet Kessel where they were pressed into slave labor, mining the powerful drug called glitterstim spice from pitch-black tunnels. Kyp's older brother Zeth, was shunted off to the grueling Imperial Academy on Carida.
    ...His parents were executed during a battle that resulted in the smuggler Moruth Doole gaining complete control over the prison and the mines.
    ...Next he tried to find his brother on Carida, but the rescue attempt failed as he accidently incinerated his brother along with the planet."

Kyp is hardly an orphan. He has an extensive backstory and there's no way he related to any Skywalkers.

18. tanjokabri

tanjokabri Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2001
    noo... please... why is everyone in GFFA related?

19. brandon_duncan

brandon_duncan Jedi Youngling

Dec 10, 2001
    Man if this turns out to be true if i was a skywalker, i would be very weary to start any kind of relationship with anyone because your probaly there cousin or brother or something.

I really highly doubt that kyp is related

20. wampa

wampa Jedi Master star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    It's just a rumor, and a poorly supported one at that.

Move along, move along.

21. Jedi_Jaina_Durron

Jedi_Jaina_Durron Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2001
    I'd be really upset if Kyp was related to the Skywalkers in any way, for the simple reason that then he and Jaina couldn't really end up together. Of course in the GFFA, you never know. What with the whole Luke and Leia thing in the movies. :D

It would be interesting to see who the authors could come up for him to be the son of. Did that sentence make sense? oh, well.

Lianna, it isn't like you to spread rumors.:D

As for Kyp, well, there's just no debating the fact that he is the greatest character in the whole EU.

22. wampa

wampa Jedi Master star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    His parents were politically active people and are now dead

And there's even the age factor. The SW Encyclopedia by Steve Sansweet says that Kyp was 16 at the time of Anderson's Jedi Academy trilogy (+11). This means he was born 4 years before the destruction of Alderaan. Padme could not have been with-child at that time because all pre-Yavin lit contradicts that. At age 8, Kyp was sent to Kessel, which was probably just before Endor.

23. Lianna

Nov 9, 2001
    Thanks Wampa for all of the information that you provided. Still that information does not disprove the rumor. The rumor is that he is a child of one of Palpatine's dark lords and was hidden with a family who would provide a good upbringing and who were sympathetic toward the Jedi. When Palpatine heard about the child he had his adopted parents imprisoned and later killed. He thought that the child had been killed as well. The parents spoken of in the SW reference would be Kyp's adopted parents. So there would be no contradictions there.

The rumor was on the official site's message board in a thread about Kyp. I'm not saying that it is true but just that it is interesting.

Yeah JD, it's not like me to spread rumors but I thought that some others would be interested in hearing about this one.

24. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Mind if I ask who posted that rumor?

25. Lianna

Nov 9, 2001
    I got the rumor from someone named Jedi Storyteller. He did not tell me where he heard it from though I did ask him. The name of the thread if you're interested is Kyp (Who knows maybe a spoiler). Again I'm not saying that it is true I just thought it was interesting and was wondering if anyone else had heard of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.