main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

just a thought.... but it seems promising...

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Pixelito, Jul 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pixelito

Pixelito Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    lets say i did a CG animation at 30 fps... lets say I did the SAME animation again, at a slightly different angle, with the SAME converging points... then, what if I mixed the two shots, so every other frame was the slightly different angle... then, what if I played the CG at 60fps... in theory, I would have a stereo image, right? could I make a 3D movie?

on second thought, this won't work... i don't know why, but i have a feeling it won't...

2. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    Wait, what?

My brain hurts!

Rick McCallum loves you!

3. Lots

Lots Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2001
    interesting that lightwave (as one of the rendering options) spits out stereo images for 3d viewing..

too bad i dont have the glasses :)

4. Bastion

Bastion Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 2, 2001
    If you had 3D glasses it could, but why be that complicated? Don't most 3D packages allow you to render in Red-Blue 3D? [edit]What Lots said![/edit]

The 60 frame idea wouldn't work but it is quite easy to create.

5. oblivious_angel21

oblivious_angel21 Jedi Youngling

Jul 26, 2002
    Well, it sounds right, in theory.
    lol then you get to wear those cool 3d glasses when you watch it huh? When you take those glasses off during a "3d movie" (which i have done frequently) then you get a stereo image, but I'm not sure if it will work with CG.
    Im new to CG and im just starting (if that explains anything).

6. RocketGirl

RocketGirl Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2002
    The real problem is knowing how to do it right. For starters, if you're too far off axis, it won't work properly. Next, you don't want to actually be at a different angle...both cameras should be pointing parallel to each other, but at slightly different positions.

I once spent some time playing around with line-drawn 3D images and they actually did work. The secret is that the closer the red and blue lines are to each other, the more the object will look like it is parallel to the drawing surface. Now, I may have this next part reversed, but here goes: the further away the lines are from each other, the more the object will appear to pop in or out. Now, IIRC, if the left eye is red and the right eye is blue, then if the red lines are further right than the blue lines, the object will appear to sink into the drawing surface, and if the red lines are more to the left, then it will appear to pop out.
    However, how far it pops out from the page is relative not to the page, but to the objects in front of it. If an object that has the red and the blue drawn on top of each--and is therefore flush with the drawing surface--is drawn in front of an object that is popping up from the drawing surface, the object popping out will still lappear to be going toward the viewer, but from behind the flat object.

It can get really @#$%ing complicated to draw 3D images by hand and takes a lot of pre-planning... Heh. Fun, tho, when it works.

Better to just find a plug-in for your 3D rendering package if it doesn't come with one and use that. :)

7. Bastion

Jun 2, 2001
    oblivious_angel21, it is actually a lot easier to make a stereogram using CG than filming real life.

And to all those who think it would be cool to have 3D glasses, WHAT?! You never made 3D glasses as a kid?! All it takes is some blue and red celephane, cardboard and some safety scissors (you know those scissors that wouldn't cut paper let alone your finger! :D).

8. Lots

Lots Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2001
    actually lightwave's stereo renderer renders out images that dont use that red blue stuff.. its a different kind.....
    altho u can get a plugin that will produce the red blue images needed for the old school 3d goggles

9. Bastion

Jun 2, 2001
    Ahhh, righteo, so you want those crazy goggles from IMAX?? The ones that allow you to see the person eating popcorn behind you?? :)

I was fairly sure Lightwave gave you the option to do the red-blue render. Well, I'm fairly sure you could get a plug-in anyway.

10. Pixelito

Apr 16, 2002
    i wasn't talking red/blue 3d... that would just hurt your eyes... anyone ever play virtual boy?

11. nhaines

nhaines Jedi Youngling star 1

May 12, 2002
    Hey! I *liked* my Virtual Boy!

Aside from Mario Tennis making me frequently look behind me when the ball got lobbed while I was playing the net, Red Alarm just rocked! Anyhow, you're supposed to adjust them right and then take breaks. :p

Hmm... I wonder if I could still find it. I know it stil works.... ;)

12. Bastion

Jun 2, 2001
    Red-Blue 3D doesn't hurt your eyes! Unless of course you had to take off your prescription glasses to wear the 3D glasses! :p

13. Pixelito

Apr 16, 2002
    nevertheless, i wouldn't want to make a film in only red and blue :p

14. Bastion

Jun 2, 2001
    So ya saying you've never seen a movie with Red-Blue glasses before?

15. Pixelito

Apr 16, 2002
    the only time i've used the red and blue glasses was with this teenage mutant ninja turtles 3d book.... it was less than impressive, even for 12 year old me :D

16. Bastion

Jun 2, 2001
    Hehehe! Well, 3D movies don't come out red and blue when viewed through the glasses. They come out the original colours.

17. NXTB

NXTB Jedi Youngling star 2

May 17, 2002
    Yeah. the red and blue are just offset a bit. Here is an image in that format.

Or there are those magic-eye type ones where you go crosseyed then back up a bit. here is the same image in magic-eye format.

EDIT: I suggest someone do a CG animation in the second format, that would be really cool if it worked (maybe you can't keep focus on it, but it should work)

18. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    You're all forgetting that the special IMAX glasses require equally special polarized projection of the light for each eye. It's like the red-blue but invisible. So just rendering out the stereo images isn't going to make it work.

M. Scott

19. Pixelito

Apr 16, 2002
    even if you could, its not like IMAX goggles are something you come across every day. i guess the red/blue is the only way to go.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.