main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Just an idea

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by dmmast, Apr 21, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmmast

dmmast Jedi Youngling

Apr 21, 2001
    With rave on many of the SW fan sites about the new Online Multi-user RPG (Star Wars Galaxies), I was wondering how true Star Wars RPG players feel about this.
    My Personal Opinion: (Sorry It's so long)
    At first I was extremely excited about a massive online world for Star Wars enthusiasts, but then I started to think about it.
    The game will be designed and created by Lucas Arts (with several partnerships I am sure), and hosted by Sony. The good side is that a monetary investment can be made on the basis on future revenues from thousands of online Star Wars Fans paying their $20/month. The problem I see with this design is that by making the game "owned" by Lucas Arts, with revenues going to them, you deny from the game the one thing that has made Star Wars a rare and wonderful thing........for lack of better words I will call this "Growth of the vision." I define this as the time when a creative thought grows beyond anything the creator could have imagined. This has happened with Star Wars not simply because George Lucas is a genius (although he is), but because people motivated by their own passion and creativity have given their time and efforts to "grow the vision.", with their ideas, work, and time. If Lucas Arts "owns" the game, the only way they will be able to successfully expand the universe, even within their Episodes IV, V timelines, is to include the ideas, artwork, meshes, etc.. from the SW community. If they do not do this, the game/universe suffers. If they do, another problem emerges. The only way Lucas Arts can "fairly" use ideas /creative work from the SW universe is if they contact the designers/creators and request rights to use that work. In the beginning, many designers might gladly let Lucas Arts use their ideas for nothing; However, I think since Lucas Arts will be collecting a nice check at the end of the month, this will lead to many not allowing use of their creations without monetary compensation.

I propose another solution; organize the SW communities into one common goal, creating the most expansive, intricate, and wonderful online Star Wars universe, encompassing all the wonderful people, ideas, and creative work that makes the SW communities a phenomenon. Obviously the technical and organizational barriers are HUGE, but I believe the best visions are born in the impossible.

I am just a crackpot; let me know

2. anakin_skywalker_sct

anakin_skywalker_sct Jedi Master star 5

Apr 18, 2001
    Nah, you're not a crackpot, you've got the right idea really...but I think the biggest problem with this on-line RPG will be that it'll be far too expensive for the majority of the Star Wars community. First, we gotta buy the game. Second, many will need to upgrade their systems to play the game because the idiots running the Video Games Industry think everything has to have flashy 3D graphics. Third, many will have to upgrade their internet connection to cope with the amount of date coming down the line to their PCs. Fourth, and finally, we've got to pay a subscription and pay the phone-bill just to play it. Not really fair, is it? I know the subscription's supposed to pay for "upgrades" but still it's not really fair that we're having to fork out so much cash to play a game. It becomes less a game and more an investment for many, and will be plagued with cheaters, player-killers and all sorts of other problems where new players don't stand a chance and don't stick it out. The same thing happened to me with Ultima On-Line. Why can't we have games that are playable anymore? If I wanted computer eye-candy I'd go watch Episode I!

3. Darth Ludicrous

Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 25, 2000
    it should use Legend of Zelda (nintendo 8-bit) style graphics. I'd be happy.

4. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    It would bring back some good memories from older times (when I managed to defeat the second quest using only the wooden sword)

5. ArtyEwok

ArtyEwok LFL Artist star 4 VIP

Mar 18, 1999
    I think it's very neat, but I won't be playing it.

I went through my reasons on another thread, about the way Video Games are classified as an 'RPG' but they're not really ropleplaying games, there is very little roleplaying happening, but are more like Really complex adventures.

THe Galaxies/EQ style is getting closer to a true RPG, but it still has a long way to go before I remove the shackles of my 'What makes a Roleplaying game a roleplaying game?' views.. to me a Roleplaying game is more immersive than even Everquest.. be the game text based or face to face. Text based RPGs rock the world over graphical ones.

That said, I fall into the can't afford it/not interested demographic. If they ever make a Baldur's Gate style game I'll be there.. I love that style of RPG/Adventure game.

Nowadays, due to econimics, I refuse to buy a computer game I can only play in multi player mode, or that I can only play online. When I'm online I'm not devoting all of my resources to one thing.. and due to people who cheat on some of these games, Multitasking and Everquest don't happen without making yourself a suspect. (Or it used to be that way, apologies if the policies have changed. I did some beta testing for EQ, that's how I know it isn't for me, BTW.. not judging blindly :) )

Oh, as a foot note.. I'm not saying that roleplaying doesn't happen on things like Everquest.. it does, to a degree.. I know people that roleplay there alot, just as a MOO I'm on has a core group of roleplayers, although Roleplaying doens't happen asll the time (THe MOO is like a hybrid happy medium between a MUD and a MUSH)

But like EQ, many graphic games don't have interation to the degree that I view as roleplaying, hence it doesn't interest me.. yet /as a roleplaying environment/. Once the net becomes like something from a William Gibson or Tad Williams Novel, where you can't tell if you're online or in the real world I'll be there with bells on and my full immersion virtual reality kit that tricks my mind and my senses into thinking I'm in a real world, and not just forcing some sprite around on my screen with a mouse and keyboard. :)

As a MUD type hack and slash with a sprinkle of some roleplay environment, EQ (and Galaxies, as it is based on a similar system) really shine.

I'm sure many people will jump on this and have alot of fun, all the more power to them.. I know people will have a blast with it, and that's what counts. :) It just isn't for me.

Amy - Would also kill for an 8bit Zelda style game.. that would rock.

6. Cerassi

Cerassi Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 20, 2000
    I haven't learned a lot about the game, but i have done the role playing in the message boards. that is fun and free and really creative. I have liked it so far and plan to see what the game is like. I do agree that what one person about the cost is hard for many people to afford. Some people can't have those capabilities for the graphics etc. (i know i probably won't)

-Cerassi

7. JediBendu

JediBendu Jedi Master star 3

Jan 13, 1999
    I'm a regular on the SW galaxies web site. The game looks good for a MMORPG, but it will never stand up to a PnP RPG, mainlky because in a PnP RPG, you can roleplay with like-minded people, not 2000 idiots who believe decapitation is the highest form of art.

It is getting better, and the RPG elements seem to be strong, but in the end, the moron factor will be too high for it to ever succeed. Now what they should have is auditions, like a good MUSH does, and things would be veeery nice, but they'd never make the money that way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.