main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Just call me "Scarface".

Discussion in 'Archive: Cleveland, OH' started by _-Reborn_Jedi-_, Aug 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _-Reborn_Jedi-_

_-Reborn_Jedi-_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 2002
    Note: if you're easily offended/nautious to descriptive explanations of accidents and such, I insist you don't read this. Anyway...

Well, guess what? I got 14 stitches in my face today. I was at work this morning, cutting down some hard plastic sheets of snow deflector shielding used on snowplows on a power saw. Everything was going fine until a little after 10 am, and I was finishing up feeding a strip through the saw when the leftover strip must have gotten caught in the saw and had violently kicked back right into my face, striking my right cheek, gashing it open. Luckily I was wearing safety glasses, but it still didn't help my cheek any. Seeing that I was immediately bleeding, I applied pressure to it with my hand until some other people rushed to help me and we got some gauze and a cold pack on it to staunch the bleeding. Then my boss drove me to a hospital out in Bedford to get my stitches. The cut itself was very different. The doctor who stitched me up called it very reminiscent of "railroad tracks". It wasn't a plain cut, there was a strip of skin inbetween the cut itself. And although it looked alright on the outside, the doctor referred to the interior of the cut as "hamburger", so it got torn up pretty bad inside. I got all numbed up, got a tetanus shot, and got stitched up in no time. Luckily I don't think any muscles in my face got severed or anything. It's more of a nuisance right now than anything. I get my stitches taken out in 6 days, then it will take 6 months to a year to determine how it heals and how bad scarring is. Speaking of which, I'm to treat it daily with neosporin and such to try to lessen the scarring, for 6 months. At least I'm covered under workman's comp. Also, some people are telling me I should get a lawyer and sue...but noone did anything wrong. And my boss is a cool guy, but had he been some mean dude, you bet I'd be suing. Anyhow, I decided to take a couple of pix after the incident if anyone wants to see. One is kinda blurry so you can barely see the stitches, but they're there. Could be worse, I suppose. Still, it made for a really messed up day. I'm just glad I didn't get hit elsewhere on my face. "It's only a flesh wound!"

Clickie

Clickie 2

PS- to be specific the cut was about 1/8th inch deep, and about 3 inches across. Not fun!

2. TheRandomMenace

TheRandomMenace Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2002
    Sorry to hear that dude... but at least you look like a bad@$$ now. I think we're going to have to write in a little more battle damage during the lightsaber fight in RoP...

3. Anrev_the_Jedi

Anrev_the_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 14, 2002
    :eek: Well I'm glad you all right!

(begin "scar"casim) I'm just glad we finishd filming!!!!! Or we'd have to have Eric cut you in the face or something!(end "scar"casim) :p

4. TheRandomMenace

TheRandomMenace Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2002
    Bret, you really should "cut" it out.

Although I can continue, because my humor leaves everyone "in stitches."

Will, can I take you to the Saloon, and buy you a "Slice?"

[face_laugh]

5. starwarschick14

starwarschick14 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 19, 2002
    Ouch! And I thought my day was bad after finding out that I have a mild case of pneumonia...

I'm glad you're ok! Thank goodness for safety glasses...I work in a chem lab so I have to wear them too. While I haven't had an accident to remind me how important they are, my lab partner got showered in acetone a couple years ago, and her goggles prevented eye irritation. I can't imagine acetone in the eyes would feel very good.

If I got cut on the face like that I'd be freaking out about the scarring...my face is one of few areas of my body that doesn't have a ton of scars already. I bet it's much easier for guys to accept a scar psychologically though...just makes you look a little more "rugged". ;)

6. Jedi_BMack

Jedi_BMack Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    well, i'm not gonna "gouge" you like the other guys did... glad you're ok... good luck with non-scarring, but hey... pain is temporary, chicks dig scars, but glory is forever...

oh wait, i think you forgot the "L" in glory...

pretty hardcore injury though man... lucky... very lucky...

so, up for helping me cut some stormtrooper armor? ;)

-b-

7. _-Reborn_Jedi-_

_-Reborn_Jedi-_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 2002
    Thanks for the kind words guys. As for the "edgy" innuendos, you all better "cut" it out...if I keep laughing I fear I might pop my darn stitches! ;) Oh by the way the painkiller is starting to wear off...I want some more of it so I can just pour it on my cheek, lol. Addictive stuff.

And yea Brian, I do thank my lucky stars today, I keep thinking if that piece had hit anywhere else on my face...*shudders*

8. JediKnightPasJoDacle

JediKnightPasJoDacle Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 16, 2002
    Congradulations! ;)

9. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    Ooo, it looks kinda like the injury one of our guards incurred at the pool when he went head-first off the slide and hit his head on the bottom! 'Cept he had staples in his head. And then we were short two guards for the rest of the day (we started one short), so people were crabby because we closed the slide. That was a fun day. :p

In any case, I hope there isn't any permanant damage. If it's any consolation, it looks a whole lot less dorky than two rows of staples in the middle of the forehead, going back into the hair. :p

10. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    Luckily I was wearing safety glasses
    No kidding! I mean a scar may suck...but losing an eye is 10X worse!

11. DarthZome

DarthZome Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 2000
    Sorry to rip on you, but in order to cut it when your job is on the bleeding edge of technology, you have to keep a sharp look out. I mean, when you saw that machine sever the board like that, you should've split. I can only hope this fray helps you score with the ladies.

Anyway, we'll be okay as long as you don't shouting "say hello to my little friend!" I hope your face heals and that I haven't given you too much cheek.

12. DonC

DonC Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2001
    Dude, chicks dig scars.

An' I'm glad you're okay and all that jazz.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.