main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Just dropping by...

Discussion in 'Archive: Raleigh, NC' started by robx2, Nov 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robx2

robx2 Jedi Youngling

Nov 22, 2004
    Hey everyone, I'm new to the boards and some helpful people pointed me your way. I'm a grad student at UNC and I'm trying to use these boards to fulfill both a life-long love of Star Wars and some work on online communities.

Sounds like you guys are a community in every sense of the word. I see engagement announcements, upcoming parties, all sorts of stuff. How often do you guys get together? Did you know each other before?

Anyway, just wanted to let you know I'm out here. Hopefully after exams wrap up, I can make it out to an event.

Rob

2. TallonKaardgamer

TallonKaardgamer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    Welcome Rob! Please tell us how you got interested with Star Wars.

A little about TTF - we got started 2.5 years ago with the premiere of AOTC at Crossroads 20 in Cary. Then a few months later we helped pay for Peter Mayhew (the mighty Chewbacca) to come out to Exploris for the IMAX version of Attack of the Clones. We are a non-costuming branch of fans, but many of us, including myself, are also members of the Carolina Garrison of the 501st Stormtroopers, the official Vader's Fist of and outstanding bunch of guys and gals for whom costuming at various functions and knowing all about the hardware of Star Wars is a way of life.

We meet roughly monthly and the places where we meet vary. Stay tuned for stuff here, and join the email yahoogroup listserv at subscribe-triangletradefederation@yahoogroups.com

Our chosen charity is Carnivore Preservation Trust.

Our next meeting is Star Wars Game Day at All Fun and Games , 2062 Kildaire Farm Rd. in Cary, on Sunday December 5 noon to 8PM with a lunch break at the pizza place nearby, Bring $13 and get a new booster from the Clone Strike Star Wars miniature set, and play all day, all Star Wars board games, card games and miniatures.

See you there!

3. willhi1979

willhi1979 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 9, 2004
    Hi Rob,

I'm fairly new myself. I think there is a monthly official meeting then things happening on their own sometimes, movies, dinner, etc. Some of us play the Star Wars games. Don is big into Decipher's Wars TCG and Star Wars CCG. I play the Wizard's Star Wars TCG and the Star Wars Miniatures primarily. If you play any of those speak up. Good luck on exams!

William

4. robx2

robx2 Jedi Youngling

Nov 22, 2004
    It's great to hear that your charity is the Carnivore Preservation Trust. I did a photo story on them last semester and definitely think they do good work.

I have to admit that I'm an OT junkie... ever since I was a kid and through my teenage and undergraduate days. Favorite film is ESB -- I think it's the most complex and interesting of the whole series. My interest kind of faded with Phantom Menace (although on repeat watchings my opinion is mellowing), picked up again with AOTC and I'm anticipating the final installment. I think Lucas will bring it all around.

Now that I'm in grad school, I find my interests going towards fan culture.. have written a couple papers and done some work that looks at the legal issues involved in fan fiction and other forms of fan media. I'd be happy to share any insights if people are interested. (Although given the current state of copyright law, my views might seem rather bleak).

As I said with exams, things are pretty crazy, but I'll stay in touch. Thanks for the info on the listserve.

Rob

5. stacey113

stacey113 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 8, 2001
    Welcome Rob, as you can tell by my title, I am the city rep for Ft. Lauderdale, FL. But I am also a member of the TTF. I met Don at a convention a couple of years ago and we became great friends. I have met the other members quite a few times and everyone is wonderful. I travel to the Triangle often and will be relocating there soon. This is a fun group, I think you will like it here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.