main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

just finished SQ

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ben_Starkiller, Jul 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ben_Starkiller

Ben_Starkiller Jedi Youngling

Jun 10, 2005
    i just finished reading SQ alot of people told me it would be a disapointment i didnt think so

possible spoilers

(besides Mara blabing on about another Thrawn clone geez how many times can one guy come back from the dead i feel like Mr. Zahn is trying to copy the clone Emperor on that one it could just be crazy old Mara on one of her hunchs that are 90% always wrong)

but besides that i thought it was a good book i cant wait for out bound flight im sure Zahn will not dissapoint oh and i give SQ a 4 out of 5

spoiler

cuz the whole thrawn clone thing

2. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Some people struggle with the concept of two Jedi struggling with a droideka......

But the clone thing was expertly handled, just a whiff of a conspiracy.

I strongly enjoyed it myself.

3. ClonedEmperor

ClonedEmperor Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2005
    As did I fellow COW member

4. Ben_Starkiller

Jun 10, 2005
    hey we saw in the movies Qui gon and Obi making a run for it in the movies but there were 2 and in sq it was 1 oh well i still wish he could have avoided the clone thing oh well i didnt see a to be contiued thing so i guess Zahns leaving that for other authers to probly make a book of maybe maybe not

5. Kwenn

Kwenn Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2001
    Unfortunately, if you watch closely in TPM, you'll see Jar Jar Binks incapacitate a droideka with the blaster-firing battle droid stuck to his foot. And yet it takes Luke and Mara a whole twelve pages to destroy one, with all the cover they need, Force Mastery on their side and three lightsabres between them.

So does this mean.... Jar Jar > Luke Skywalker???!!!

6. Slash78

Slash78 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2004
    I think that destroyer droid was already damaged when Jar Jar took it out.

7. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Well, the droideka at Naboo was constantly moving about, shooting at moving targets, not actually using its shield.

8. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    Yes.

And also:

Jar Jar Binks = Darth Plagueis

9. Ben_Starkiller

Jun 10, 2005
    well some people were saying there was alot of forshowdowing in it also i didnt feel that though there was just a little towards the end but that was just Luke and Mara going into those discuss every possible scenario talk but i reall was releived to find there was not alot of it (i dont like the NJO its probly a great sereise but i read some of the books and i personaly didnt like the story)so i think SQ is another great Zahn book and cant wait for outbound flight to come out then i will have the whole septoligy

10. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Jedi Master star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    I also enjoyed Survivor's Quest, its very underrated.

11. Ben_Starkiller

Jun 10, 2005
    theres one only true prob in the book and thats the unanswed questions

spoiler

there was lorana how did she die was she defending people at the last moments of the battle like jinzler had beleived in his heart she was

what about the survivors hate for the jedi and force sensitive people

im sure there are alot more im missing but right now no of them come to mind and of course the answers will be reiveild in out bound flight but i love disscussing what might happen befor a book ceven comes out

12. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    I thought that SQ was fairly good. Good action, good story, good characterization etc...

However...

It set up far too many questions that wern't answered: why the Outbound Flight descendants hated Jedi so much, how exactly Outbound came to be where it is, who exactly the mysterious villians really are, the Chiss involvement with Outbound Flight's destruction, and so on and so forth. I was almost done with the book when I realized that there would be no resolution to these questions. If there's one thing I really hate in a novel, it's having storylines introduced and then abandoned. That's all well and good if the book is part of a series but as a stand alone novel it just gives me a headache. And THEN I realized that Survivor's Quest was just one big set up for Outbound Flight. Outbound Flight had better be good. :p

13. rogue_wookiee

rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling star 6

Apr 24, 2004
  14. Kudzu

Kudzu Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 18, 2005
    Always a plus.

15. Ben_Starkiller

Jun 10, 2005
    i just reread through SQ and i just relised something i never got to see what happend at the end of NJO i only read dark tide so im planning on buying some of them i call it my condinced version of njo im getting VP edge of victory 1 and 2 star by star enemy lines 1 and 2 the finale prophecy and the unifying force is that a good condenced version

16. maralover

maralover Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 3, 2003
    i would say you definitely want to add balance point and destiny's way to that list...the hardcovers are the major plot of the series....and also you MUST get traitor. simply amazing read.

17. Gaeriel_Aleigh

Gaeriel_Aleigh Jedi Youngling

Jul 5, 2005
    I have SQ and I love it. I can't wait for Outbound Flight. I enjoyed reading a book about Luke and Mara-most of the new books I've read are glazing over them.

18. Ben_Starkiller

Jun 10, 2005
    oh im also trying to stay on a 8 to 9 book limite i have 15 star wars books with outbound flight preorder thats 16 but my book case is running out of room

19. Reverend_Tegoth

Reverend_Tegoth Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 22, 2005
    I actually really liked Survivor's Quest. My only major complaint was the same as many other's: the Droideka was too much of a challenge for Luke and Mara. I just put it down to it being a unique model with more advanced shields.

But that irritation aside, I quite enjoyed the book's real strong point - the characterizations of Luke and Mara and their relationship.

20. Bpfashforever

Bpfashforever Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 14, 2004
    Ever since TTT, I had questions about the Outbound Flight Project. While it did not actually answer them, it was a nice setup for Outbound Fligth. I liked it. Not the best of books, but I liked it. Especially when they were inside the Outbound Flight. With the Survivors, the Handers, the Chiss, and the whole shebang.

And on the topic of Droideka, well, there hasn't been one in generations. How do you expect them to know how to deal with it?

21. Ive_Got_Two_Legs

Ive_Got_Two_Legs Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 18, 2005
    What was a droideka doing on a Republic ship?

22. Pyroooo

Pyroooo Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 21, 2005
    Outbound Flight was launched before the CIS went public, so it is conceivable the Trade Federation would agree to provide Droidekas for protection, despite the strained relationship between the Republic and Trade Fed after Naboo.

23. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    Bah, show me another pair of Jedi, who defeated a droideka, before you complain about the battle in SQ.

24. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    They explained this. The repulic forced the TF to give them its droidekas for outbound flight.

Also, Droidekas gave Obi-Wan and Qui-GOn loads of trouble.

25. Sarg_Kulo

Sarg_Kulo Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2004
    EU or not?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.