main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO Just finished with KOTOR 1 and 2, I wish there was kotor 3!

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by JamesSkywalker, Nov 26, 2014.

1. JamesSkywalker

JamesSkywalker Jedi Master

Jun 8, 2011
    I just finished KOTOR and KOTOR 2 for the second time after 5 or 6 years of abstaining and man those games are timeless classics! There is a truly epic feeling when playing those two games, And they are both so different in tone and message, I would absolutely love a kotor 3 even if it was done with the same graphics and engine as the first two. of course you could do so much more with todays tech. They don't even need to call it kotor 3 they could just make a star wars rpg where you play as a jedi and set it anywhere on the timeline and I would play it. And yes I know SWTOR is supposed to serve as a KOTOR 3 but its not the same experience at least for me. No disrespect for those who like swtor but its a different experience and an MMO not an rpg. I have played SWTOR and was very disappointed. I didn't create this thread to bash or compare kotor and swtor but I just wanted to see if others felt the same way and if there was any fan made kotor 3 plans in the works.

spicer, JediMatteus and ScorpionJedi like this.
  2. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    I think everyone wants a KOTOR III, even though Sith Lords was subpar compared to the masterpiece of the original KOTOR.

Try The Old Republic. I won't hype it up too much, it's not even half as good of a storyline as either of the KOTOR's, but it'll entertain you and give you your O.R. fix.

Now, I'll expect this to be locked soon, cause I'm sure there's already an official KOTOR 3 speculations (hopes/dwindling dreams) thread...because I'm pretty sure there was one the last time I was on the JC four years ago.

3. ScorpionJedi

ScorpionJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 19, 2013
    It's a bit hard for KOTOR 3 to happen due to what happened in April. Myself along with many EU fans want it to happen but it's all up to Disney. Personally I just want the story of Revan and his crew as well as The Exile's to survive in Disney Canon be it in another game, movie or the one I'd really like to see, a Live-Action TV show.

4. TheRevanchist

TheRevanchist Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 13, 2012
    Play The Old Republic (Jedi Knight story ark). It is the closest thing to Kotor 3 (as close as a MMORPG can be). Though before you play it, I would recommend to read the Revan book (and if you want the other two Old Republic books) to get on with the story.

5. JamesSkywalker

JamesSkywalker Jedi Master

Jun 8, 2011
    Thanks to everyone that replied to this thread!, I have read the Revan book and I don't want to sound like a habitual complainer because I do like many EU books but Revan the book was meh. It was waaaaay to short. I think the exile and revan were portrayed way to weak in their duel with the emperor. the exile especially, her death made me cringe. It just didn't have the payoff in the conclusion that I was expecting.

Also I have played TOR as a jedi knight, I didn't finish the storyline, the game kinda felt tedious like a chore. However I just discovered that someone mad the cutscenes into a movie and so I am watching the jedi knight storyline on youtube and I am finding that I enjoy watching it more than playing it.

BTW I played tor free2play where you have a penalty on gaining xp so that may have made the game seem more tedious than it really is. I have also read one of the other books with the bounty hunter and darth malgus and that was okay.

I am really considering rereading the KOTOR comics which are truly addictive and I would highly recomend to everyone.

PS
    I'm sure there is another kotor thread somewhere, but some forums discourage zombie threads. Every forum seems to have different customs some say you should create a new thread instead of reviving an old one some say you should use an old thread on the subject. Its a damned if you do damned if you don't scenario. Anyways back to watching TOR I might also crack open my old copy of Revan its been a while.

6. _Sublime_Skywalker_

May 8, 2004
    Yeah, I'm not sure if I would suggest actually spending the money on the game, but it does make a difference. I've done both, and I found the free2play version was more laggy, and when you can't reach your full potential it kinda makes some of the quests and enemies harder. Like you said, it was almost like a chore. But when I was playing on my paid account, once I started levelling up and gaining stronger powers, it did become more fun to play.

Still, no KOTOR III though

JamesSkywalker likes this.
  7. GrandAdmiralDave

GrandAdmiralDave Jedi Master star 1

Aug 6, 2001
    The new SWTOR expansion heavily features Revan, and it opens up today once the servers patch. Even before that, there are a lot of hints about Revan's storyline built into the game, from the epic stories to some of the raids (ie-Foundry). I've been a subscriber since launch, and SWTOR is fun to play if only for the 8 different class stories. But after a while, it does get tedious (like when you're running through a planet's zone quests for the 8th time).

As mentioned above, the Jedi Knight story in SWTOR is probably the closest thing you're going to get to a KOTOR3 game. When KOTOR and KOTOR2 came out, there were gobs of fans clammoring for them to make a multi-player version, and that became the SWTOR MMO.

Now that Disney is running the show, all bets are off as to how they proceed on the video game front. I'm not sure that they want to invest in another single-player character-driven computer RPG, especially given how much piracy goes on and how expensive SWTOR was to produce.

I'd look for them to integrate new Star Wars video games into their existing platforms (ie- Disney Infinity, where they have already released Marvel characters).

8. Vib3s

Vib3s Jedi Master star 2

Nov 28, 2014
    I recall the majority calling out for KOTOR 3 to conclude Revans' whereabouts and his story, and after SWTOR i still bet many think that it was the most appropiate way to do it. Making a boss character and cash cow out of him (expansions) isn't. Now he's an quasi-antagonist who doesn't know which path to walk. And the one he's on he already did once. One he fully knows the consequences of.

9. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Shame they scrapped having Revan appear in TCW, that could have given him a canonised end to his legend. He is arguably the most popular Jedi/Sith outside of the movie & TV characters. That alone is reason to include him in things.

10. Suvlaco

Suvlaco Jedi Master star 1

Mar 13, 2005
    Since the TFA trailer hit that got me back in the mood for some KOTOR and I've been smashing out a new playthrough this week - it's amazing how well it holds up and it's so addictive! I've spent more time on it than I have on DAI (Despite spending way too much money on that one...)

11. arjank

arjank Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 17, 2015

Me too, last week I finished KOTOR again and now I'm full into KOTORII. These two games (allthough graphically dated) are just superb.

12. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    Sith Lords might not have been finsihed, but it is much better then KOTOR 1 in almost every way. let me count the ways....... Prestige Classes, more force powers, better conversations, group dynamics, better characters in some cases, better upgrade/create tool bench features, better story(though dark), better saber options ( coor, gems, etc.)

13. Maharishineo

Maharishineo Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 25, 2013
    You'll have to wait for the third Old Republic movie to see what happens next ;)

...hopefully. (I'm not actually reporting anything here lol)

14. _Sublime_Skywalker_

May 8, 2004
    Sith Lords def does not seem finished/ complete. Just like TFU II seemed very rushed and incomplete. I'm not hating on it, but it just seemed very subpar and lackluster compared to KOTOR. It just didn't have as much "wow" factor for me. You have the opinion it's a better game mainly based on the extra detail they've added, and I won't tell you you're necessarily wrong, but I truly don't believe that gives it any advantage on the original. Sure, KOTOR's characters seemed alittle impersonal, and there wasn't an insane amount of development, but I genuinely found them more interesting and likeable. Sith Lord didn't have anyone that stood out for me, except maybe the platinum haired Jedi (I don't even remember her name, yet I still remember every name in KOTOR.)

Like I said, I'm not gonna tell you you're wrong for your opinion, but I just wasn't as caught up and entranced in the story line of Sith Lords like I was with KOTOR. The game dynamics were better sure, but...atleast in KOTOR we got a real ending.

JediMatteus likes this.
  15. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    KOTOR 2, despite its cool variation on the standard good vs. evil Star Wars trope, is uneven. Many of the game mechanics have been improved from the first game and the ability to influence party members adds a lot. The problems lie with the weak plot, mostly unlikable characters, and that general "unfinished feeling" it has.
    Even so, it's still leagues better than the all other Star Wars games excluding the Jedi Knight series. It's a shame that Lucasarts wasted so much time on the Force Unleashed games and the Old Republic rather than focusing their efforts to KOTOR 3. While the latter game was mostly ok, The Force Unleashed was bad even by dumb action game standards.

JediMatteus likes this.
  16. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    This should be rebranded Video, as it's not about an actual RPG.

KOTOR 3 is TOR. I don't know why people have trouble with this.

17. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    Because we tire of endless grinding mmo's. Should not seem hard to understand .

Howard Hand likes this.
  18. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    But it's not?

I got to L50, and stopped playing as my smuggler's story ended with the Voidwolf's defeat. I came back to do the first expac and will probably do SoR at some point. You can keep grinding, but the class tales? You don't have to to enjoy.

19. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    yeah it was fun for awhile, but it was too hard for me, and sometimes repetitive.

Howard Hand likes this.
  20. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    TOR isn't KOTOR 3. It's a completely different genre (MMO) and it takes 3,000 years after KOTOR 2. Even if it were KOTOR 3, it would be a pretty poor sequel. Lots of grinding, inferior gameplay, etc.

darklordoftech and JediMatteus like this.
  21. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    There is a rumour that KoTOR III is happening. But, we'll wait and see.

JediMatteus likes this.
  22. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Some people just aren't interested in TOR, and don't see it as a true sequel to KotOR I and II, let alone as KotOR III, especially with how Revan and the Exile have apparently been handled. Some people aren't even impressed with the name, Meetra Surik, for the Exile.

JediMatteus likes this.
  23. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    me either

24. TheRevanchist

TheRevanchist Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 13, 2012
    Hi mate, can you post here (or PM me) the cutscenes for the Old Republic. There is no way that I am gonna play all the classes, but would be interested to see them just for the story.

Currently, playing KOTOR again!

About Revan book, I definitely agree that Exile was made too weak. She (together with Scourge) got defeated from that Sith Member of Council. Ok, Exile wasn't the strongest ever, but should have been strong enough to at-least get a draw there.

Don't agree with Revan and Exile being too weak against Emperor. Revan was superstrong, but Vitiate was simply quite a bit stronger, and I don't see nothing wrong with that.

Read the comics a few years ago btu didn't like them.