Just got an X-box. Suggestions

Discussion in 'Games' started by pat-fett, Jun 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Twink_Kee Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Yeah, I don't think the wrestling games should be like the button mashing tournament fighters, because you have a lot of other areas to balance out in a good wrestling game (playing the crowd, grabbing and using weapons, run-ins, branching storylines)

But - keeping this on topic - would you recommend RAW for the xbox? I haven't played it, as I figured it was just like the Smackdown series, WCW Thunder, and all those other little cartoon wrestling games. I guess I should hold out, and hope that AKI gets back into the development process...

I couldn't imagine how good a game would be if it had an engine like "No Mercy", but the potential that the xbox has (not just in graphics and sound, but the extra xbox features like mp3 and harddrive)
  2. TheWampas1138 Jedi Master

star 4
    I agree about the creating your own soundtrack ability of the X-box. It's one of the best parts of Gotham Racing, other than the graphics. I think the reason that other games don't use it so much is that game music doesn't always feature signing, or it has singing timed so that it doesn't interfere with any voice work in the game. Personally I don't think it's that important, since most games feature slide bars for "music" and "game effect." So people could decide which was more important. Or program the game to quite down music during speech. I, for one, would love to add my own music to Halo, or Hunter: The Reckoning. Granted, you could turn the music all the way down and play the radio, but it's not the same. I don't know why, but it isn't. Why advertise the feature if programmers don't use it?

3. Twink_Kee Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Granted, you could turn the music all the way down and play the radio, but it's not the same. I don't know why, but it isn't.

Exactly. I think a lot of it is because you've got the sound coming from two completely different sources, and they clash. Plus, usually, with the soundtrack feature the game controls the sound for you. Meaning, when you need to hear dialogue or fx, the music will lower automatically (or not be present at all), instead of you having to turn down your stereo system. In other words, though it is your own soundtrack, it helps the music go with the flow of the game.
  4. tenorjedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Plus those with a killer sound system can listen to their CD's while still getting 5.1 dolby on the game.
  5. Jirin_Raman Jedi Master

star 4
    But - keeping this on topic - would you recommend RAW for the xbox? I haven't played it, as I figured it was just like the Smackdown series, WCW Thunder, and all those other little cartoon wrestling games.

I would recommend that you at least rent it, and give it a try. IMO, it is nowhere near the AKI engine, nor does it compare to the Fire Pro Wrestling engine. Those 2 engines are the best wrestling engines ever created. Raw is closer to a hybrid of Smackdown and the No Mercy gameplay styles, whereas Wrestlemania X8 claimed to be. The grappling system was done cleverly, but it is too easy to counter by "guessing" the button the other player is going to use for his moves. If the Anchor team takes the graphics, sound, and atmosphere of Raw and combines it with something a little more like No Mercy and a little less like Smackdown, we may have the greatest wrestling game we've seen since No Mercy outside of Japan.

I guess I should hold out, and hope that AKI gets back into the development process....

From what I understand, the AKI team has disbanded. Some of the members of the team were supposed to have been on the Yukes! team that did WM X8. They must've been responsible for the reversal system in WM X8, because that was all that was similar to No Mercy.
  6. Jirin_Raman Jedi Master

star 4
    I, for one, would love to add my own music to Halo, or Hunter: The Reckoning. Granted, you could turn the music all the way down and play the radio, but it's not the same.

I would love that myself, TheWampas1138. I can imagine playing Halo with some Deftones, Pantera, or other metal playing. Hearing the guitars & drum kick combined with the grenades, assault rifles, and shotguns would be an experience.
  7. pat-fett Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I got Morrowind today. I've been playing non-stop. I'm just now taking a break. It's a very interesting game so far.

Can someone list the games that have the Custom soundtrack feature?
  8. DUM-4 Jedi Knight

star 3
    The games I have that use the Custom Soundtrack feature are:

Amped
    Dave Mirra BMX 2
    Project Gotham Racing
    THPS2X
    THPS3
  9. Jirin_Raman Jedi Master

star 4
    Besides the games DUM-4 listed:

Fuzion Frenzy
    Legends of Wrestling
  10. Twink_Kee Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I've got Transworld Surf, which also uses the custom soundtrack feature. You would think a surfing would suck, but I actually like this one. Great water fx. It's hard, though.
  11. trav571 Jedi Knight

star 1
    I'm sorry for dissing x box Pat-Fett it really isn't a very bad system.
  12. DarthLuxor Jedi Master

star 4
    I didn't like Raw on XBox. I rented it, and started a match. I beat on the guy for 5 minutes straight yet he hit me once and pinned me, because I was out of stamina. I never played it again.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.