main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

just got "Rogue Squadron" - AWESOME!!

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Spacehunter24, May 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spacehunter24

Spacehunter24 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2003
    Stopped by FuncoLand yesterday afternoon and picked up "Rogue Squadron" for $9.99. Damn, is it fun or what!? I was frustrated at first trying to figure out all the controls (it didn't have the instruction book), but once I got the hang of it, I was having a helluva trip.

I've been playing "Ambush on Mos Eisley" over and over to hone my skills and get myself familiar with the ships (though I wish it would let me play the Y-wing and the V-wing).

Since it was used, all the levels are open, but I'm trying to still play them in order. I've played up through "Defection on Corellia" so far. The levels were a bit frustrating at fist, but I quickly got used to them and was able to figure out what I had to do. "Corellia" was particularly difficult and nerve-racking, because it felt like I didn't have enough speed and would never make it from one area to the next, but I finally did.

I love the Falcon because the quad guns automatically target everything.

Few quick questions:

1) How come sometimes the quickness of the turbolasers on the vehicles will slow down? Sometimes I can shoot them nearly continuously in rapid succession, then sometimes the succession slows down a bit.

2) Are those Sandpeople running around on Tatooine making those weird noises when I blow them up?

3) Why does Artoo make that whistle when you fly over the escape pod from ANH, and Luke says, "Hey." Artoo just reminiscing or something?

4) Is there anything you can do about the Rogue who goes "Aaaahhhh!" not long after the "Mos Eisley" mission starts, then says, "I'm clear, but my ships down?"

2. DARTH-PLONKER

DARTH-PLONKER Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 23, 2003
    Yeah it's a great game. What system do you have it on?

About your rate of fire, maybe you have it on a different fire setting. How many bolts do you fire at once. If it 4 bolts your rof is slow, 2 is medium and 1 is continuous. You change it manually during play. If you have it on PC I can't help you there.

The guy who says his ship is down always says that. It is a scripted event and you'll hera quite a bit of it during the game.

If you like this you might be intersted in Battle for Naboo, which is also out on N64 and PC, and Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike which is out soon on GC. You can see the thread here. It features the flying levels of RS, but also has multiplayer, on ground missions and vehicular combat, plus the whole of RSII in co-op. It also has what are probably the best graphics seen on GC so far.

About the sounds Artoo and the Sandpeople make, I have no idea.

3. Iron_Fist

Iron_Fist Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 30, 2003
    The only problem with the Falcon is that she's sluggish to turn and respond. I like the V-wing, for its cluster bombs (very useful in the first mission).

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I also ran into the problem of my lasers "running out of juice" and only firing at a very slow rate (slow enough to force suicide so I could have a fresh ship)- happened to me on a couple levels, like Chandrilla.

5. Lanky

Lanky Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2002
    2) Are those Sandpeople running around on Tatooine making those weird noises when I blow them up?

Those would be moisture farmers....

6. Spacehunter24

Jan 2, 2003
    DARTH-PLONKER - I got it for N64.

How do you change the rate of fire? I must keep accidently pushing the button or something.

FuncoLand also had BATTLE FOR NABOO for $9.99 I think. I would have gotten it anyway, but I just barely had enough to get ROGUE SQUADRON. Maybe next time I'm in town.

I'll check out REBEL STRIKE when it comes out, since my brother has a GameCube. We didn't like ROGUE LEADER, but we'll give RS a chance.

7. DARTH-PLONKER

Apr 23, 2003
    I havn't played it for ages but I'm pretty sure it's one of the yellow C-buttons. I don't think it's the top one because that's secondary fire. It really depends on your control scheme(you can change them) but the C-buttons control secondary fire, rolling, rate of fire and special.

8. Spacehunter24

Jan 2, 2003
    Okay. I was just about to put it on again, so I'll check it out. Thanks. (If only you could blow up Jabba's palace like you can with the moisture farms. :D )

9. redleader92055

redleader92055 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 9, 2003
    if you think that game is fun you should play rouge leader on g-cube

10. Spacehunter24

Jan 2, 2003
    My brother rented that awhile back, but we couldn't get into it. He even said, "This absolutely sucks!" something I've never heard him say when talking about video games.

I figured out the fire mode, Darth-Plonker. Thanks for telling me about it.

11. redleader92055

redleader92055 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 9, 2003
    Thats wierd most people seem to like that game.

12. Antilles2001

Antilles2001 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 20, 2001
    It's a guilty pleasure shooting your worthless wingmates down. [face_devil]

Of couse, they always somehow survive buy crashlanding safely, just about ANYWHERE. Hell, they even crashland one the Death Star in "Death Star Trench Run". The level was pretty stupid though. It had TURNS! I mean, I could understand the cube things all over the place to make the level actually difficult, but TURNS?!?! The only thing close to the movie was Han & Chewie "saving" you.

Seriously, the only time your wingmates pull their weight is in "Battle over Taloraan".

13. Spacehunter24

Jan 2, 2003
    Yeah, I was surprised the Death Star trench had turns. I was like, "What the hell!?" But it was a cool level, though. I just wish there was a cool cut-scene afterwards when you drop the torpedo.

14. DARTH-PLONKER

Apr 23, 2003
    I found that the Death Star level was just put together in a few days. The trench was way too big and the TIEs fly the wrong way. I could never work out whether Talaraan was actually Bespinn but that was a decent level. It was the only real level with loads of TIEs.

15. han_solo_321

han_solo_321 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    "I wish it would let me play the Y-wing and the V-wing)."

Just get a gameshark. Then you can be every ship in every level.

I love bombing the homesteds with my y-wing :D

16. Spacehunter24

Jan 2, 2003
    I was finally able to get the V-wing to work, but I hated it. Anybody try the cheat where you can turn the V-wing into a Buick? It's hilarious!

Question: when there's the flashing wedge on the radar, are you supposed to still go in that direction even if the rest of the squadron peels off, like at the start of "Rendenzvous At Barkhesh" and "Search For the Nonnah?"

17. DARTH-PLONKER

Apr 23, 2003
    Yeah you are.

18. Antilles2001

Oct 20, 2001
    Your wingmates are worthless extras that are cannon fodder. Yes, even the great Wedge Antilles is moron that flies around on a programmed course until you finally get to play as him.

And no, Taloraan is just some Bespin wannabe.

Heh, you're gonna throw your controller into the TV when you get to "Raid on Sullust".

19. ben_ethus

ben_ethus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

You want frustration and pain? Try getting the gold medal on "Moff Seerdon's(sp?) Revenge".

*shudder*

Still has nightmares,
    Yours Truly

20. Spacehunter24

Jan 2, 2003
    Oh, I about threw my controller into the TV with "Assault on Kile II." Damn, I was cursing like crazy. I was so frikkin' confused and frustrated it wasn't funny. I must have gone down every circular and dead-end canyon there was before finally finding that damn spaceport. When I finally beat the damn thing, it said I had spent 19 minutes playing that level. Geez!!

21. Billy_Shears

Billy_Shears Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 9, 2002
    Good times. [face_laugh]

The gold for Seerdon is nothing. The golds for Sullust and the Trench Run...that's a different story.

22. DARTH-PLONKER

Apr 23, 2003
    I managed to get a gold on Hoth and the DS. My favourite level was Chandrilla.

23. Antilles2001

Oct 20, 2001
    The one thing I absolutely hated about RS was that 90% of the time, you had to defend some defensless thing. The beginning of Chandrilla (sp?) was the only good part; the rest of the mission was boring.

And I I hated how If there was ONE AT-AT, you were forced to used the Snowspeeder (which exited into space for some reason). I mean, who hell sends 3 snowspeeders to attack an AT-AT factory?!?!

At least Rogue-Leader only had you defend something in only a couple of missions. (Strike at The Core almost made me throw my controller at my TV)

Getting all Golds was totally worth it. There's nothin' more fun than playing as an X-Wing in Assualt on Kile II.

*runs into attic to retrieve Nintendo 64*

24. Iron_Fist

Iron_Fist Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 30, 2003
    The "Strike at the Core" mission was really not cool. Firstly:

The name makes you think of "Coruscant", not the DSII

The mission itself is a paradox. Choose the X-wing, and the Falcon gets shot up and destroyed. Choose the Falcon, and you'll have no room to manoeuver in the run to the core. Irritating.

25. DARTH-PLONKER

Apr 23, 2003
    That mission would have been fun and easier if the Falcon had actually made an effort to defend itself, rather than flying in a totally straight line and not returning fire. It was also pretty stupid. If you crashed in the shaft you'd go back to the start of it but if you crashed on the surface the mission would continue and the Falcon would get shot up before you could get back to it. It just seems like towards the end the developers just weren't putting in the effort. It had better be there for Rebel Strike.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.