Just how good is OBI with the lightsaber????

Discussion in 'Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by InDookusDefense, Oct 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InDookusDefense Jedi Knight

star 1
    I am knew to these boards and wish not to be repetitive, but will Obi really shine with a lightsaber in this one? I know that he is predicted to defeat Ani (no spoiler intended), but will he do it by pure chance and will he prove to everyone that he is the best Jedi in the universe at that time? Because I am imagining that Dooku and Mace will be gone and Yoda's aging will start to catch up with him by this point.
  2. InDookusDefense Jedi Knight

star 1
    Just to add to what I said, I don't believe that he has shown us anything great in PTM or OTC. Now I know he took out Maul, but it seemed like a little luck was involved, and we all know that Dooku defeated him rather easily.
  3. effortless_skill Force Ghost

star 4
    Obi wan is a form 3 master by the end of the war.Form 3 focuses on non agression.It's basically a defensive form.Form 3 masters are considered unbeatable.However the form is not that powerful on the offensive side .Thus obiwan will have a hard time finishing off anybody who is a master saber wielder. vader could not strike down Obiwan in ANH,but Obiwan's form does not have enough power to destroy Vader.Thats the downside of it right there.Obiwan is good with a saber. He just is not considered a superior swordsman in the likes of Mace,Yoda,Dooku.
  4. Quiescent_Affair Jedi Padawan

And don't forget, Obi-Wan was a bit exhausted when he dueled Dooku. Just look at the close-ups of him in the arena. Poor man needs a break!
  5. Lord_Catfish Jedi Knight

star 2
    Out of al the Jedi, he survived the arena. that probably speaks high of him. Anakin refers to him, "as powerful as Master Windu." I think it's implied that Mace is one of the greatest in th galaxy.
  6. merlin Force Ghost

star 4
    [color=663300]Where do people get these "forms" the jedi are supposed to be using? I've never heard of a "form three" or any for that matter.

All I can say is watch TPM over again. Obi shows some awesome skills when fighting Darth Maul. [/color]
  7. Jedi_Lord_Windu Jedi Master

star 4
    obi-wan changed forms inbetween tpm, and aotc because he saw how ineffective his form was against maul
  8. servigon Jedi Knight

You'd think after the Dooku fiasco he went back to trainning or something. With Anakin I think he has the advantage because he knows him well, may be better than he knows himself. He's my favorite character I hope to see him shine.
  9. Garth Maul Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I agree - he's also my favorite character.

I hope that Obi-Wan becomes a Jedi Master, not just another Jedi Knight.

But I have a feeling by the time Episode III is over, we'll see why Ben is so legendary.

I'm not sure about that whole Form III thing, but I think it would be so sweet in The Duel if Anakin was pulling stuff out of nowhere, like Form "X" or something, but Obi-Wan was just defending. Never striking a blow against Anakin, but never trying to.

Remember what Yoda says to Luke? A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defence, and you're at your best when you're calm.

I'm sure the final version of The Duel will be awesome no matter what, but I think it would be neat to see something like that - Anakin overcommitting on a swing and Obi-Wan taking his arm off.

Here's another thought - imagine if Lucas went all-out on the Episode III DVD and we got to see different versions of The Duel.

[Duffman]Ohhhhh yeah.[/Duffman]
  10. InDookusDefense Jedi Knight

star 1
    "And don't forget, Obi-Wan was a bit exhausted when he dueled Dooku. Just look at the close-ups of him in the arena. Poor man needs a break!"

You are right, but I think that he had plenty of time to recover and re-group while he and Anakin were in the ship chasing Dooku.
  11. InDookusDefense Jedi Knight

star 1
    "Remember what Yoda says to Luke? A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defence, and you're at your best when you're calm.

I'm sure the final version of The Duel will be awesome no matter what, but I think it would be neat to see something like that - Anakin overcommitting on a swing and Obi-Wan taking his arm off"

I think Obi-won will remain much calmer in his battle with Anakin, as he USUALLY is very good about making Anakin look immature by remaining calm. However, I think Anakin will throw some very nasty insults at him that he won't be able to stop from responding to. But I think he will definitely will remain the calmer of the two.
  12. DamonD Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Episode III should be Obi-Wan's peak with a lightsabre, and really it'll be Anakin's peak as well.
  13. effortless_skill Force Ghost

star 4
    Believe it or not anakin nevers peaks in lightsaber skill.His potential was great but he did not have the lifelong study that many jedi have .so he was not polished in his form.You can tell this is true by Vaders style .Anakin took on form 5 right before the clone wars started.Form five basically focuses on power, it's users like to dominate thier foes.look when Vader fights Luke in ESB.His swing is based on powerful strikes and its nothing fancy or elegant to eye.However it's a very powerful form on the offensive side and can overwhelm foes whith it's sheer might.This is how i assume Anakin slaughters many jedi .With his RAW talent in the force mixed with a form that he was not really ready for is a POWERFUL MIXTURE.Form 5 opens the users emotions and it is very agressive.I feel anakin took on this form since he was so hungry for power,but i also feel it was one of the things that led to his down fall.Since no padawan has Ever stuided form 5.He was simply not far enough in his training to weild such a powerful form.

i will post form 5 below.

form 5

During an era when jedi were called upon to more activley maintain the peace in the galaxy ,form 5 arose alongisede form 4 to address a need for greater power among the jedi .Jedi masters who thought form 3 could be too passive developed form 5.A form 3 master might be undefeatble ,but neither could he necessarily overcome his enemy .Form 5 focuses on strength and lighsaber attack moves .A dedication to teh power and strength to defeat an enemy charcterizes the philosphy of form 5 ,which some jedi describe by the maxim "peace through superior fire power " to some jedi knights form 5 represents a worthy discipline prepaeared for any threat , to others form 5 seems to foster an inappropriate focus on dominating others .
  14. Ben_Max Jedi Knight

star 2
    Well, I remember Ewan MacGregor saying that the Obi-Wan vs. Anakin duel is going to dwarf any lightsaber duel we've seen in all of the Star Wars saga. The way I see it happening is that at the beginning, Anakin is basically kicking the **** out of Obi-Wan because Obi-Wan doesn't want to fight back with all he has. There will probably be a few times where Anakin could have killed him, but he delays it to prolong the fight. Then in the end, when he realizes there's no coming back for Anakin, he lays into him and takes him out. (so to speak)
  15. merlin Force Ghost

star 4
    [color=663300]Again, I ask, where do these "forms" come from? :confused:[/color]
  16. Salacious_B_Crumb Jedi Knight

star 2
    I'm with you merlin. The only forms that I know of now are 3 and 7. Seven I know from these forums, and from Shatterpoint. Could someone please post what the different forms are?

Form 7 was created by Mace Windu, and is the most dangerous form, both for the user, and for the person being attacked. It brings the user dangerously close to the dark side. It is called Vaapad, named after a squid-like creature. That is all that I can remember about it for right now.

SBC
  17. Blackthorpe Jedi Knight

star 3
    The forms are listed in issue 62 of Star Wars Insider. There is a description of each one there, but here are the basics:

Form 1: Based on pre-lightsaber sword fighting, same basic principles.

Form 2: Refined precision of blade manipulation for dueling. Pretty much abandoned by Jedi since they don't duel against other lightsabers much.

Form 3: Developed because of blasters. Defensive, with tight, efficient movements.

Form 4: Most acrobatic. Lots of running, jumping and spinning. Very elaborate and fun to watch. This was Qui-Gon's style, as well as Yoda's, and Obi-Wan's before he switched to 3.

Form 5: Agressive. Focuses on strength and attack moves. Exploits form 3's blaster deflection by sending it back to the opponent. Jedi describe it as "pease through superior firepower." Some feel it is worthy, others think it is wrong.

Form 6: Standard for Jedi during Palpatine's reign. Balances the focuses of the other forms with overall moderation. Called the "diplomat's form" because it is less intensive in its demands, allowing Jedi to focus on other areas of their training.

Form 7: Most difficult and demanding. Bold, direct movements, more movement than 5, but not as elaborate as 4. Highly unpredictable, as movements don't seem connected. Draws on deeper emotion than 5, but controls it better. Outwardly calm, the prectitioner of form 7's inner pressure verges on explosion. This form is still under development.

Hope this helps. There is some other very cool lightsaber information in this issue, about the different types of attacks and wounds, and lightsaber dueling throughout the sage. If you haven't read it, I highly recomend it.
  18. Darth_Goofy Force Ghost

star 4
    Thanks for that info. :)

I'd assume we'll be seeing a lot of Form 7 in the big duel. That could be very, very cool.
  19. effortless_skill Force Ghost

star 4
    HERE ARE FORMS 1-7 FROM STAR WARS INSIDER ISSUE#62 ENJOY!!

form, 1
    millenia before teh clone wars ,advanced technolgy replaced metal swords with energy lightsabers .in this tradition the first from was born.jedi masters created form 1 from ancient sword fighting traditions , since teh the principles of blade combat remained the same .the basics of attack ,parry,body target zones,and teh practice drills called velocities are all here.

form 2 (dooku's form)
    the ultimate refinement of lightsaber to lightsaber combat became form 2,advancing the precision of blade manipulation to its finest possible degree and producing the greatest dueling masters teh galaxy has ever seen . today form 2 is an archaism studied by almost no one in teh jedi orde ,because it is not relevent to current tactical sitiuations ,in which jedi enemies rarley fight with a lightsaber ,even with resurgence of teh sith conforntaion of an enemy with a lightsaber is exceedingly rare prospect for a jedi,so they continue to focus on more practical forms ,sith expecting to battle with light saber weilding jedi however find form 2 a powerful technique.

form 3 (obiwan)
    the third great lightsaber disclpine was first developed in response to the advancement of blaster technolgy in the galaxy .as these weapons spread widley into the hands of evil doers,jedi had to develop unique means of defendin themselves .form 3 thus arose from "laserblast "deflection training .over teh centuries it has transcending this origin to bcome a highly refined expression of non agressive jedi philosophy . form 3 maximizes defensive protection in a style charcterized by tight ,efficent movements that expose minimal target area comapred to teh realtivley open style of some other forms . obi wan kenobi takes up a dedication to form 3 after teh death of qgj (who favored form4) .since it was apparent to kenobi that that jinn's defense was insuffficent aganinst the sith techniques of darth maul . true form 3 masters are considred invincible .even in his elder yrs kenobi remains a forambale form 3 practioner .

form 4 (yoda)

form 4 is teh most acrobatic form heavily emphasizing jedi abilties to run ,jump and spin in phenomenal wasy buy using the force .masters of form 4 incorporate all of the ways in which the force helps them go beyond what is physically possible .their lightsaber comabt is astonishing to watch ,filled with elaborate moves in the center of which a jedi may be all bu t ab lur .yoda with his deep empaasis in and on the force in all things , is a form 4 master .

form 5(anakin)

during an era when jedi were called upon to more activley maintain the peace in the galaxy ,form 5 arose alongisede form 5 to adress a need for greater power among the jedi .jedi masters who form 3 could be too passive developed form 5 a form 3 master might be undefeatble ,but neither could he necessarily overcome his enemy .form 5 focuses on strength and lighsaber attack moves .this form explits teh ability of the lightsaber to block a blaster bolt and turns thsi defensive move into an offensive attck a dedication to teh power and strength to defeat an enemy charcterizes teh philosphy of form 5 ,which some jedi describe by the maxim "peace the superior fire poer " to soem jedi knights form 5 represents a worthy discipline prepaeared fro any threat , to others form 5 seems to foster an inappropriate focus on dominating others .

form 6 (most of the jedi who died on geonoisis)

in the time of palaptines chancellorship ,form 6 is teh current standard in jedi lightsaber training .this form balances the empases of other forms with overall moderation ,in keeping with the jedi quest to acheive true harmony and justice without resorting to the rule of power .its considered the "diplomats form" becauseits less intensive in its demands than the other disciplines ,alowwing the jedi to spend more time developing their skills in preception politcal startegy and neogation . form 6 well suits the modern day jedi role in the galaxy in which a jedi knight o
  20. DamonD Manager Emeritus

star 6
    The forms are basically an EU thing. Not authorised by Lucas, but they're interesting.

Believe it or not anakin nevers peaks in lightsaber skill

Effortless, what I mean is that Ep3 should be Anakin's peak skill with a lightsabre. Not, say, the very pinnacle of technique compared to other Jedi Master of the past, but his OWN personal best lightsabre skills.

After his defeat to Obi-Wan, he ends up in the Vader suit and he loses a lot of the mobility and technique that he once had.
  21. DamonD Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Just to add on to that, because I realised it could still be a bit vague...

The peak of Anakin's skill in the SW fans. He could've been even better, no doubt, but since his encounter with Obi-Wan ends up rather badly for him, it's the best we'll see him do in the Saga.
  22. Jedi_Lord_Windu Jedi Master

star 4
    you dont switch forms in a short time period, it needs to be studied for many years. i doubt that anakin or obi wan will use form VII for their duel, they just dont have what it takes to master it in such a minimal amount of time
  23. InDookusDefense Jedi Knight

star 1
    I don't think Obi would ever switch to the form that you describe as 7, as it just does not fit into his personality. He is always on even keel and I would not think he would ever experiment with something that bordered the darkside.

"since it was apparent to kenobi that that jinn's defense was insuffficent aganinst the sith techniques of darth maul . true form 3 masters are considred invincible .even in his elder yrs kenobi remains a forambale form 3 practioner ."

Even though this is taken from official Star Wars literature, I believe Jinn's loss was caused primarily by his lack of stamina and poor conditioning. Obi should have learned some of form 2 after witnessing the death of Jinn. He had ten years to "master" form 3, and he still got over-powered and out finessed by Dooku. Basically, he looked bad in that encounter. I think someone said that he switches forms before the next one again, is this true?

24. effortless_skill Force Ghost

star 4
    no.Kenobi stays form 3 .like you said it fits his persona.Also you have to understand kenobi's defense was good,but since form 2 is used by nobody anymore ,he was just not ready to match it.look how dooku handles yoda who is a jedi master .kenobi is only a jedi knight ,remember that,He is not a Master yet.He did not master form 3 during the time of his duel .He still was learning the form.to be a true form 3 master takes more than 10 yrs to Master.
  25. Jedi_Lord_Windu Jedi Master

star 4
    by the time ANH rolls around, obi wana will be a form III master
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.