main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Just HOW much of this movie is spoiled?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by IG_2000, Oct 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    Bro, u even read?

hippie1kenobi likes this.
  2. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    The other thing worth considering re deliberate leaks is this - if they are so hellbent on keeping everything from us, why leak anything - especially stuff that matches? I know, I know, to trick us. But on the whole, other than the concept art leak, the production info leak and SW7's & SWU's photos spoilers have been extremely thin on the ground. Why bother?

3. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010
    I'm pretty sure less has been spoiled than we believe

Yep, pretty much this. The entire plot synopsis leaks, and a trailer with barely any dialogues or character interactions reinforces all we read. Nope, it's more complicated. Trust me. Some of the currently standing relics are total bull.

Lobot_the_Jedi and Aayla_Amidala like this.
  4. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Or it's that simple. This is a film not a major espionage operation.

My point was the opposite. If there were no leaks, we would have seen the trailers and be even more in the dark than we are now. Ergo, what's the point? Unless it's not misdirection, and you know, a genuine bunch of leaks. By this stage on each prequel we knew far more than this. We had the scripts and storyboards. Did that mean they were intentional leaks, or does it suggest that leaks are not that uncommon despite what some like to think?

If it is misdirection, more power to them, and but I honestly believe that is wishful thinking rather than a purely evidence based conclusion at this stage (though I concede, proof of misdirection is the film itself rather than anything at this stage).

5. tokilamockingbrd

tokilamockingbrd Jedi Knight star 4

May 12, 2015
    I think JJ is a bit OCD about spoilers and such. I would not put it past him to take an "offensive" approach to ensuring his film which has was worked very hard on the past few years does not get spoiled prior to release.

I agree Disney would play it safe, if they are too offensive in going after leaks they would essentially be confirming that what they are saying is true.

So my position is split between MSW has revealed nothing they see as too spoilerish(so they are taking the if we ignore it we wont bi-facto confirm it approach) or they are intentionally feeding spoiler sites as a creative form of marketing.

6. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    I actually think the reason no one has scooped the key mysteries for sure is that no one definitively knows the answers to them.

What I would say about Disney going after people is this - they seem to shut down images fairly swiftly, but not descriptions. And iirc, the guy that put the synopsis together from the MSW stuff was contacted by representatives who were not best pleased. But as Lando Rocks pointed out earlier, I don't think they have much legal power to shut down reposted rumours etc.

By the way, they may be able to keep certain key reveals quiet but the idea only JJ, LK or KK had anything on paper regarding the final act is bonkers. There is a huge crew that needs to make this film.

That said, I know for a fact that security has been upped since the leaks on TFA. I think there will be far less for 8 and beyond.

7. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    I've heard the same.

Despite the mystery box being much less of a 'thing', they nevertheless don't want their movie spoiled any the more.

With Rian we could possibly get a steady stream of official, controlled little leaks to try and placate spoiler hounds, but in terms of getting hold of the big stuff; expect that to be thinner on the ground, if security rumours are anything to go by. :)

8. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Yeah, that's what I would expect. More official engagement and releases, less leaks (which I believe were opportunism by non production/ LFL staff).

9. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    Did you get lost on the way to another forum?

10. littlewaves

littlewaves Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2008
    I'm constantly surprised by the number of people on THESE forums who I see saying they don't read spoilers.

I mean does anyone bother even putting spoiler tags around stuff like... just in case...

Han dies and Luke's barely in it

11. Jedirush2112

Jedirush2112 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2013
    I say the foundation of the plot is spoiled for me! We kinda know what happens but not in the sequence of what happens or what the outcome of those events. Its all really basic really!

12. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    We do know the sequence, we don't know the motivations.

Artoo-Dion and Jedirush2112 like this.
  13. Jedirush2112

Jedirush2112 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2013
    Well you might! I for one just look briefly at the spoilers and take them with a grain of salt. I don't go hunting for the plot at MSW or other spoiler sites. I want this one to be special. It basically looks like we know the beginning and the end and some tidbits of the middle.

14. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    Less than some think

15. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    The
    Another common misconception. Disney (if it wanted) could throw it's army (and I do mean an army) of lawyers at any spoiler it wanted with a C & D letter followed by tying up in court for so long that the spoiler would crumple, to say nothing of the legal bill they would be facing. Disney however does not do this for two reasons:

1. It would make whatever spoiler wrote seem true (or why else would they go after the person in court unless it was "stolen intellectual property") therefore legitimizing rumors.
    2. Disney would truly look like a bunch of Cobra Kais dressed like skeletons chasing after the Karate Kid at a high school gym during a Halloween party.

Also too it would break the spirit of the uneasy but effective alliance (pun intended) between filmmakers and spoilers which really came about around ROTS. Filmmakers realize (as George said) people were going to find out if they really wanted too. He just wanted to make sure they had to really look for it and was 100% kept out from the general public eye. That has been not only for SW but also big blockbusters as well that people are really into like the Marvel movies. That is why Disney got PO'ed off (and rightfully so) when the synopsis started showing up on online news feeds. But like I said in my previous post, that seem to be more about a couple overzealous reporters then spoilers breaking what has now become protocol.

So yes Disney could do a lot if they wanted too. But it's not in their best interests especially when you consider the following:

1. How many people actually go to spoiler sites? When you consider how many movie fans there are for example SW, the number of people who go to spoiler sites/message boards are a very very small fraction. Or put it another way: What is the percentage of people who go to see TFA are going to be "spoiled"? My guess it's less then 5%, perhaps even lower.
    2. If people are willing to go through the trouble of looking from one end of the internet to the next for "spoilers", I don't think they are doing it and NOT seeing the film. Far from it. Heck I think a few spoiler fans who are on the fence about TFA are now gung-ho based off the rumors.

Overall I think Disney has been rather generous with spoilers who again have been respectful for the most part. The only time Disney rattled it's sword was again when the synopsis got onto news feeds and picture of Mark in his TFA costume fitting leak out. Other then that it's again a win/win for everyone involved.

TurboPGT

Good point though comparing the Jurassic Park series to Star Wars is kind of apples and oranges. Star Wars really is a series that relies heavily on mythology and connections. JP is really about cool a$$ dinosaurs tearing things up. I do kind of agree that TFA is not going to standing around explaining stuff/strong character development particularly in the first half. I think that is what Episode VIII will be about. Again the ST really seem to be mirroring the OT in terms of tone, at least in terms of how the movies are crafted.

16. TurboPGT

TurboPGT Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 15, 2015
    More than most think.

I'm getting a sense that people expect a lot of exposition on some of the new things being introduced, and thusly think there must be whole scenes missing from our knowledge of the film.

One thing I learned from following Jurassic World for so long prior to the film is not to think that way. I was expecting a lot of tie ins to the past and explanation of how they got where they are, for the sake of interesting story...but instead the film got straight to it with their plot, and never deviated.

I believe we're getting much the same with TFA.

17. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    I personally don't think there is much context to the leaks and such to overly spoil the film, even if they are all true.

However, I would love the film to actually be very different from what we think we know........... Just because.

StoneRiver and Satipo like this.
  18. TurboPGT

TurboPGT Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 15, 2015

Fair, but it was similar in regard that was a sequel and it had been almost 15 years since the last JP franchise film. And where the film picks up, a ton has happened in the intervening years. What I came to realize later is that is why they did the extremely detailed marketing campaign including the JW and Masrani websites, that did periodically update to fill in story gaps. They had no intention of putting any of that on screen, or doing anything other than diving right in to their own (somewhat self indulgent) plot.

From what I've read of the film, it looks very much to me like a complete film that doesn't get very much into the details...not in the way people around here would like them to.

19. DarthHavok

DarthHavok Jedi Master star 2

Feb 27, 2002
    Yea, I remember I bought the art of AOTC which included the entire script of the movie and I read it so I knew what to expect. For ROTS I avoided it so I didn't get too spoiled. I actually like the job they're doing at keeping things under wraps and making you think and speculate. Hopefully that doesn't turn too much into "this doesn't resemble anything I had in my head" which I tend to think is a major reason people get butthurt.

20. HugoWanKenobi

HugoWanKenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 3, 2013
    I have tried to read the "sinopsys" but every time stop after a few lines since it's a complete mess.

21. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002

For what it's worth, the storyboard IMO was put together much better. I also think there is some more speculation in it as well.

22. Solosaber

Solosaber Jedi Master star 2

Jun 22, 2005
    Blue Harvest

Right when you think you know everything, you dont know diddly poo.

Right when you think you have the answers...I change the questions!

23. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    Approximately 4min 30sec

StoneRiver likes this.
  24. UberJediPaul

UberJediPaul Jedi Master star 1

Apr 12, 2002
    Very little factually has been spoilt. I think JJ has leaked some stuff which is not accurate to just defelct the real spoilers.

15th December though Air France are playing the entire movie for SW fans with enough money so then we will know what is fact/fiction.

Making Star Wars though is a shameful website nearly everything they post is not based on fact its clickbait to generate ad revenue apart from the leaked concept art dump they jumped on from indie revolver everything else is pretty lame JJ must have thought it was christmas someone would post so much fantasy clickbait without checking their facts first!

Darthmaul208 likes this.
  25. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    Roddy Piper RULES!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.