main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Just HOW much of this movie is spoiled?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by IG_2000, Oct 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    As far as the trailer goes, I don't think there was a whole lot spoiled. At least not for me. Some of the new books give more details.

2. Colossus of Rhodes

Colossus of Rhodes Jedi Padawan star 1

May 5, 2014
    you can't be spoiled with this one. few appetizers here and there

3. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    20.95% spoiled. 79.05% fresh

4. Evetssteve10

Evetssteve10 Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 21, 2015

Ummm.... First of all the "flesh" you speak of IS the entire movie. The most basic "bones" of the outline might be about 50% right so that would mean that very very little of the movie is out there spoiled. None of the dialogue is known, none of the actual character interactions are known, nothing - none of the conflicts that happen are known, none of the fights that happen are known, some people *think* one of the deaths are known, none of the twists or outcomes of anything are known, so the fact that you think there is "nothing to be surprised about" is completely laughable. So when you read the basic synopsis of a story before you go see it would you then say "welp, I know everything now. Nothin to see here"? That's the most ridiculous statement I've seen on here, wait no it's not because I've seen people say they will quit watching Star Wars if Luke isn't in the movie for more than 8.7654 minutes even if it's setting him up to be a big part of the next movie, so they are basically saying they will stop watching the series right before luke becomes a big player which is even more laughable when you think about it because they will be missing out on the biggest thing they want next time

5. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I still don't know a lot of the rumors, as I avoid reading them when I see them coming.

I haven't totally avoided everything like I swore I would when this whole discussion first started (I joined this site right around the time Disney made the buy), but thanks to JJ and a reasonable amount of self-control, I am not terribly spoiled.

I think they picked the perfect director for the first movie. I think we really needed someone who would be religious about avoiding spoilers with so many snoopers and such a fervent fan base that are such spoiler hounds. You couldn't possibly find a movie with more potential for leaks, and he has mostly avoided them. Some of the correct rumors are probably guesses.

JJ really did a great job with the trailers, giving us a peak to get excited about, but not revealing too much.

I sort of had a SW revival around 2011 or so. SW had been my favorite movies as a kid, played with all of the toys and all. I watched and liked the PT when the movies came out, but got a larger appreciation for them when I started watching them again years later. It got me to thinking that I really wished they would make more SW movies. The Disney buy came within a year or 2 of me really wishing they would make more, so as you can imagine, it made me quite happy.

This is way more excited than I have ever been to see a movie in my life, with the possible exception of ESB; but I was in fourth grade then, so that was different. In any case, I am really glad I will get to see it without knowing much about it.

This point of view is just positively bizarre to me. Even if you generally like to find out about movies for discussion's sake, being this close, why wouldn't you want to preserve it to see in the movie theater? Especially for the first in a long line of new movies, the first experience with a new series of movies that you are a huge fan of.

Makes no sense to me, there is a reason they call them SPOILERS.

To each his own I guess.

6. kip73

kip73 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2003
    While some of the MSW outline has been proven to be true, it's possible that they are missing major details and have some things wrong. They are a very good site when it comes to getting leak and spoiler news, so it would be foolish to discount them, though. Time and time again they've been right. My only point is that it's okay to be objective and wait until something is officially proven prior to accepting it as gospel.

I'm willing to take a shot in the dark guess, and say that we know somewhere around 50% of what happens, but the 50% we don't know is far more important than what we do know.

Jcuk likes this.
  7. Good Blaster

Good Blaster Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 18, 2015
    Well let's see....

Rey is probably Lukes daughter or something....and she likes to scavenge old battlegrounds that her father was part of?...

Finn is a stormtrooper who has a change of heart

Poe Dameron has been with the Resistance for a bit and gets caught

8. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    This thread should be re-titled "The MSW Bashers Retreat".

Honestly, if after so many details have been revealed by MSW and confirmed by trailers and other official info it's staggering that people can still doubt their synopsis?

9. Sithians

Sithians Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 15, 2015
    Sometimes certain people just have to peek at their presents before Christmas morning. I'm not that guy, but many others are!

10. DAVIDUGLY

DAVIDUGLY Jedi Padawan

Jan 11, 2015
    Actually there's not much more, you guys know about 90%

11. Edgar Allen Poe Dameron

Edgar Allen Poe Dameron Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 7, 2015
    I'm like the OP, I want just a little bit of information but nothing really plot related, although I think I know a very broad plot description. Even though this is the spoiler forum I'm still very careful which threads I venture into so as not to have some big plot bomb appear that I didn't really want to see.

12. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    I would agree that we have the basic synopsis most likely, and a few scenes more or less down pat but the reason I posted the stuff about Production Logs the other day was to serve to illustrate just how little we really understand the individual scenes in many cases. PLs won't give you much if any of the meat on the bones.

To me, we can confidently predict the main structure of the movie, but our understanding of some of the more critical emotional beats of the story; the reveals and the way some stuff will play out, is crude at best, non-existent at worse; however much some folks may feel that we have some stuff more or less figured out. We may well have, but as much by guesswork as by critical analysis of what we think we have. I was struck watching the trailer about the appearance of the Star Map scene: that was no-where in the basic synopsis that we had. I very much doubt that it's the only scene we didn't know about.

I confidently predict that we will have some big surprises coming in this movie still, as I think there are still a lot of questions unanswered and unanswerable without specific new information. :)

13. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I have learned to blur my eyes and click away when talk goes down paths I don't want to know about.
    I'm a bit spoiled, but still much I don't know. And I prefer it that way

Lee_ likes this.
  14. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002

I agree with that, I was more talking about the veracity of the spoilers we have, not how much will be revealed by dialogue and what that will reveal about motivations etc.

15. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    I have absolutely no idea how much of this movie is actually spoiled, as I don't chase spoilers.

I'd say of what I have read, I feel about 10-15% spoiled, at most. At this point all I know are some of the character names, potential spoilers/rumors/spec on Han's fate, some spec about the OT 3, that there is some kind of Resistance, which I assume is related to the rebellion, and the images and such from the trailers. Hell the super weapon looking thing from the poster was a surprise to me. I have no intention of spoiling myself rotten on a film I've wanted since I was in middle school.

I also don't read MSW, have only visited there once or twice many months ago, so have no idea how spot on, or not, they are.

16. Vemrin

Vemrin Jedi Padawan star 2

Oct 24, 2015
    The trailers are epic. The synopsis is ****

But in seriousness it said Han and leia were broken up and they clearly embraced in the trailer so yeah fail

17. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Liked this article. With the exception of the fact this writer is clearly younger than me (and experienced SW for the first time after the OT had passed through theaters), I totally relate to everything he says. Star Wars IS different.

http://comicbook.com/2015/11/01/star-wars-the-force-awakens---why-i-dont-want-a-second-more-of-f/

Exactly. Same here.

Howard Hand likes this.
  18. SnakePlisken

SnakePlisken Jedi Master star 4

Aug 26, 2002
    The lasersword fight at the end is a good example, the MSW synopsis is like two lines; Finn fights then Rey fights. Makes it sound like if you blink you'll miss it. I'm sure there's a lot more to it, it's going to get really drama heavy in the 3rd act after Solo's death. Wasn't the MSW synopsis compiled from call sheets? It's really really basic plot info that could easily be distorted or misunderstood as the details get more granular. I appreciate the MSW info, it satisfies the curiosity without being overly spoiler-ish.

After watching the trailer I know I'm not going to care having been spoiled, it's still going to be glorious.

LANDO_ROCKS and Satipo like this.
  19. TheLateAdmiralPiett

TheLateAdmiralPiett Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 1, 2004
    75% or more of the film is spoiled at this point for those who have been keeping up, I'd say.

20. Sithians

Sithians Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 15, 2015
    None of the main plot elements have been spoiled at all. We don't know what the hell is going on in this film. We have no clue what Snoke looks like, who he is, who the Knights of Ren are, if Rey is a Skywalker or Solo, why Kylo Ren is such a psycho fan boy, did Luke lose his virginity and have a kid? More importantly, why is Luke now a supposed hermit? Is he guarding something? So many questions.

Lobot_the_Jedi likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.