main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Just how powerful was Anakin in Ep. 3?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Rauno, Aug 24, 2014.

1. Rauno

Rauno Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 13, 2013
    Just want to hear your opinions on the subject. We all know he couldn't reach his full potential, which could've turned him into the most powerful force user in the galaxy. Was he #5 during the movie (after Kenobi, Yoda, Sidious and Mace)? How would he have fared off against Grieovus, Qui-Gon and Maul? Or Yoda and Mace for that matter as well. Also how much more potential do you guy's think he had?

2. Darth Rycbar

Darth Rycbar Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 1, 2014
    He probably could have killed Qui-gon and Maul. Grievous would have run away.

3. deadly jp

deadly jp Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 27, 2014
    Anakin vs obi wan in mustafar shows how powerful he is also, anakin said himself that he is more powerful then palpantine and he can overthrow him so he must be on the sidious, yoda and mace windu level before he even met his full potential.

SarlacsDinnerParty likes this.
  4. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    If I go from the film, I'd say he's actually just slightly more powerful than Obi-Wan. When they do the double Force push they seem virtually equal, but he recovers more quickly, and by the end of the duel, Obi-Wan seems more tired out than Anakin. Anakin just got arrogant and jumped when Obi-Wan was in a good position to defend himself. I'm not sure what GL says about it. I thought he said that they were equal, but I believe the fight choreographer said that if Obi-Wan is a 9, then Anakin is an 8, which surprised me, and I assume he got that from GL, but GL changes his mind a lot.

I think he is a notch below Mace, and two notches below Yoda and Palpatine. He is clearly below Yoda and Palpatine. Yoda tells Obi-Wan, who is about Anakin's equal, that he is no match for Palpatine. Also, Palpatine says: "In time Darth Vader will become more powerful than either of us." So, just from that, you know that at least one of them is clearly above Anakin, and since Palpatine just barely defeats Yoda, it seems that Yoda and Palpatine are nearly equal.

Anakin would probably be able to take Mace on a good day, but Mace would clearly be the favorite in that match up. I think he would've wiped the floor with Darth Maul and Qui-Gon and virtually every member sitting on the Jedi counsel. I don't think Qui-Gon was supposed to be an incredible duelist, just a wise Jedi. (I think Ki-Adi-Mundi is supposed to be the 3rd most powerful Jedi on the counsel, so maybe he'd be equal with him.) Mother Talzin also seems to be very powerful, though I think she is most powerful on Dathomir, so I think she probably could've taken him there but not anywhere else.

At one point, GL said that if Anakin reached his potential, he would've been twice as powerful as Palpatine. I think GL was answering off the top of his head, so I don't think that's a precise measurement! I also don't know exactly what that means. You can't really say that Muhammad Ali was twice as good of a boxer as Mike Tyson. That just doesn't make any sense. Combat can't be measured like that. I think what GL inarticulately meant was that once Anakin reached his full potential he'd be in a class by himself, and no single Force-user would survive long against him.

5. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I don't think Anakin was powerful much at all his arrogance and negativity hindered him greatly. Power is not always the same as strength and strengths are variable in type and degree.

DBPirate, TX-20, zompusbite and 3 others like this.
  6. MrCody

MrCody Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 4, 2013
    You underestimate his power

7. Ditolus

Ditolus Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jan 22, 2005
    i think at the end of episode 3, anakin was about as powerful as any jedi had ever been. it was his arrogance that did him in, not his lack of power.

Alienware likes this.
  8. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    His arrogance detracts from his "power"

9. SkywalkerJedi02

SkywalkerJedi02 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 3, 2013
    I think he's the most powerful but his mind want able to grasp it all due to his age and the things that happened to him during his life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    He is able to see the future and foresee Padme's death, kills the entire Separatist Council by himself and probably faced several Padawans, Knights and Masters during the attack on the Jedi Temple. In the RoTS novel (correct me if I'm wrong), Mace Windu states Anakin is the most powerful Jedi Knight ever. His power was so strong he managed to survive almost certain death on Mustafar. And, also as Darth Vader, his Force scream destroys an entire room.

Anakin's inability to control his emotions was his downfall. Still think, on the banks of Mustafar, Obi-Wan would've walked away - if Anakin didn't attempt to continue the duel.

11. SkywalkerJedi02

Jul 3, 2013
    Yeah that's what I meant he couldn't control his emotions and lacked good judgement on certain things.

Rauno likes this.
  12. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    you do realise what happens to him right after he says that line right?

-NaTaLie- likes this.
  13. SkywalkerJedi02

Jul 3, 2013
    Yes he let's his emotions get the better of him and doesn't see that it's a foolish thing to do when he tries that big leap to obi won that doesn't take away Anakin's huge power

Andy Wylde likes this.
  14. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    with great power comes great responsibility (different franchise I know)
    power means nothing if you can't control it.

A motor without electricity is just a metal box after all.

15. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004

I agree.

Intelligence. Composure. Judgment. Discretion. All key elements in developing power in any field of endeavour and all elements which Anakin lacked.

16. Rauno

Rauno Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 13, 2013
    I don't particulary agree.. or understand. Was it raw talent and strength which Anakin posessed then? You don't behead Dooku and go toe to toe with possibly prime Obi Wan without being powerful.

rumsmuggler likes this.
  17. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    Oh yeah he was a big tough guy, able to kill little kids just like that. What a guy! [face_plain]

TX-20 and MOC Yak Face like this.
  18. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004

I don't think anyone would dispute the fact that he was powerful. But I often hear about how Anakin was incredibly powerful, it was just x, y, or z which held him back. To me, the x, y, and z's were factors in determining his overall power.

19. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    His potential = %200 of Sidious, I think this has been confirmed by Lucas.

However he was not ready to face likes of Sidious, Yoda or Mace in RotS. He was at the same level with Obi-Wan in RotS. He managed to beat Dooku, because he revealed Dooku's weakness via his djem-so mastery, not because he was much better than Obi-Wan.

Dooku was still more powerful than Anakin by RotS. (And TCW Maul as well.)

Which Maul ? TPM Maul, he can defeat, however Maul has grown stronger in TCW. Anakin is not beating TCW Maul, especially since Maul has no weakness to djem-so maneuvers unlike Dooku.

He could defeat Grievous and Qui-Gon.

Darkskar95 likes this.
  20. Darkskar95

Darkskar95 Jedi Master star 1

Feb 25, 2013
    Powerful enough to defeat Sidious in EP6.

21. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Anakin's peak power production was over 9000 watts.

22. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
  23. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    And how exactly was that measured?

24. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    With a multimeter of course! Hooked up to his... well I'll leave that one to your imagination

Cael-Fenton and Bazinga'd like this.
  25. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Nice.............[face_whistling]