main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[Just In Case] JC Backup Tool - Threads/PMs

Discussion in 'Communications' started by DarthXan318, Apr 23, 2010.

1. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Exactly.

2. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    Well... right. I could've had it name the individual html files something like [threadid]-[threadname]-[pagenumber].html but I thought that was a bit unwieldy. :p (It needs a page number somewhere for the links to work.)

Now that you mention it though, it might be possible to save files in .mht format instead, though IIRC .mht files are larger than .html ones. Maybe I'll look into that. [face_thinking]

3. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    well..they're larger because they have the pictures embedded

4. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    I mean, substantially larger - it wouldn't matter if they were just a bit larger, but a substantial size increase means they're less ideal as a backup format.

5. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    The images really aren't going anywhere anytime soon anyway. At least not the board graphics.

6. TheGuardianofArlon

TheGuardianofArlon Jedi Master star 6

Feb 26, 2007
    I don't know how to work this thing!!!

7. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Why does that not surprise me? :p What's the problem specifically?

8. han-shot-first

han-shot-first IEFF President & Minister of Propaganda star 4 VIP

May 6, 2006
    Hello everyone. Could someome please explain what I've posted below as to not mess this up for our group. I apologize in advance if my questions seem simple. Any help is much appreciated!:)

What to do:
    "All you have to do is supply it with a thread (link or ID) or forum ID. If you supply it with a thread, it only saves that thread; if you supply it with a forum ID, it then prompts you to enter a start and stop page, and then it saves all the threads on those pages of the forum."

Questions:

I'd like to know where I would find the Forum ID?

Why would someone save only the thread / threads verses the Forum?

I take it the start and stop page are the number of pages in a particular thread displayed on the bottom of a particular thread?

I take it this is the same for saving PM's?

9. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Forum ID is easy. Take Comms as an example. Here is the URL from my browser address bar for this thread in Comms:

http://boards.theforce.net/communications/b10006/30896115/p1/?32

Notice the /b10006/ part. The numbers after the b is the forum ID. The /30896115/ part is the thread ID. So 10006 is the Forum ID for Comms and 30896115 is the id for this thread.

If I go in to look at the first page of the YJCC forum I see this URL in the browser address bar:

http://boards.theforce.net/your_jedi_council_community/b10008/p1

If you take the /b10008/ part and drop the 'b', 10008 is the forum ID for YJCC.

10. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    I knew I should've modified it to take a forum link as opposed to a forum ID, but I forgot... :p

Archiving every single thread isn't necessarily something you'd want to do for a large forum like the JCC for example (or, indeed, any community forum) - it would take forever. Most people would want to just save the threads they like.

Not quite - it's based on the page count on the forum index (and it'll prompt you with "There are x pages here. Which do you want to save?" so you don't have to think about it much). With threads, the program assumes you want to save the whole thing.

That's right.

11. Ani-maniac

Ani-maniac Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    The file downloaded and I was taken to folder labeled "JC_Backup," but when I double clicked on it, it just showed me a list of other files in the program. Every file I click on does the same thing, so I can't get the program to run... No on-screen prompts appear. [face_worried]

I'd really like to back-up my threads, and I'd appreciate any help you can give me!

Thanks in advance! :)

Ani-maniac

12. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    What operating system are you using and what is the list of files you see when you open the JC_Backup folder?

Edit: Also, what you're downloading is a Zip file, so you will have to Un-Zip it first!

13. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    After you unzip it: there should be a file inside the JC_Backup folder called JC_Backup.exe (or just "JC_Backup" if you've got file extensions turned off). Double-click that and the program will run.

14. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Hi. This is something I'd like to learn. Lame question alert: after unzipping, there are two .exe files, one 'jc' and the other 'wx --- something'. Is the 'jc' one the correct one to run?

15. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    EAD: I've got WindowsXP *32 bit*, and hope to save a few threads. Thanks for any

16. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    Running the 'jc' one says: "application configuration incorrect". Running the 'w9x --' one says: "not meant to be a standalone" and gives a small black screen with a blinking cursor.[face_alien_1]

17. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    I don't want to give the impression that I didn't read this === it's just that it's not running and wants me to reinstall ===]-}

18. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    Pronker, please try editing your posts if you have something to add rather than double posting. We call that spam around here.

I'm not exactly sure how to fix the problem that you're seeing. I'm using the 64-bit version on Windows 7 so I can't really troubleshoot. If you've verified that you unzipped the files and you're running Windows XP 32, I'm out of ideas. Xan might have a suggestion or two though.

19. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    Some people have reported problems with running the backup tool on Windows XP Pro x64 - it Just Doesn't Work, and I have no idea how to fix it as I don't have access to an XP Pro x64 box myself and can't replicate the error. It should work on 32bit XP as that's what I built the 32bit version on, so if it's not working I don't know why.

I'll try look into workarounds, but I'm a bit busy at the moment with RL so it'll take a while. Sorry. :( If you have access to a different computer (particularly a Mac: haven't had any reported problems with the Mac version) and/or have a good friend willing to download some threads for you, give that a shot too.

20. FlareStorm

Nov 13, 2000
    I have WinXP 64 Pro. I'll muck with it this evening after work

21. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Kev-Mas_Colcha Force Ghost star 5

Dec 15, 2002
    Any chance for a Linux Version? I'm not tied down to Linux anymore, but I do know of at least one person here who is, and I would hate to think that he wouldn't be able to back up threads.

22. FlareStorm

Nov 13, 2000
    I just tried the 32 bit and 64 bit versions on my XP 64 Pro SP3 machine. Every combination of saving threads and forums worked perfectly. So...I dunno what the problem is for others [face_thinking]

23. Ani-maniac

Ani-maniac Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    I have Windows XP, so as far as I understand it, the file should un-zip automatically. I haven't had any trouble with other zip files in the past, though a few months ago, my computer caught a bad virus and I wound up having to wipe the system completely and reinstall it. Could that have effected the ability to unzip folders somehow?

The files I immediately see are:

tcl
    _ctyps.pyd
    _haslip.pyd
    _socket.pyd
    _sqlite.pyd
    _ssl.pyd
    _tkinter.pyd
    bz2.pyd
    JC_Backup (which when I click it only takes me to an even longer list of files. No program runs.)
    library
    pyexpat.pyd
    python26.dll
    select.pyd
    sqlite3.dll
    td85.dll
    tk85.dll
    unicodedat...
    w9xpopen

Every single file I've clicked, including the JC-Backup folder, has only taken me to more files. I've been prompted to extract files a few times, but again, each time it extracts files, it only takes me to another list of the new files.

I saw your note about being busy with RL, and I know the feeling, lol. Please don't worry if you can't answer for a while.

Thank you again in advance for your help!

Ani-maniac

24. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    Sounds to me like you didn't unzip the download and you're actually just browsing through the zip file. Try right-clicking on the downloaded file and manually unzipping it to a new folder.

25. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    Okay, thanks for the quick reply and I'm sorry for spamming. I'll try everything again.