[Just In Case] JC Backup Tool - Threads/PMs

Discussion in 'Communications' started by DarthXan318, Apr 23, 2010.

Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
  1. DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    ... hm, I got nothin' then, it must be something else. [face_thinking] Thanks for trying though!

Ani-maniac - I think Grimby's right. IIRC what XP does is that it lets you look into zipfiles without unzipping them first. Try unzipping the whole thing manually and see if that works.
  2. pronker Force Ghost

star 3
    Thanks for this --- it was an interesting thing to learn, so I used it. I could not succeed with the backup tool, as even with reloading, the error message was 'configuration error.' [face_beatup]
  3. ophelia Cards Against Humanity Host. Ex-Mod

Game Host
    star 6
    Thank you for creating this for us, DarthXan. It is a thing of beauty among things of beauty. :D
  4. MsLanna Force Ghost

star 6
    Great Tool Xan. :D
    Finally, I can get my podgy paws on a complete edition of my former Sanctuary.
    Now - what other gems to grab. [face_mischief]
  5. DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    It's so nice to know my work is appreciated. :D

Anyway- I've made some minor changes and bugfixes to the Windows x64 version.. If you've been having trouble with it randomly freezing on you, try it now, it should (hopefully) be fixed.

(Unfortunately I no longer have access to a Mac or a 32bit machine, so the bug will remain there until I figure something else out. :()
  6. ask-the-younglings Jedi Youngling

star 5
    Got a linux version?

Also, what do you end up with? Is there any advantage to doing this rather than, say, using a site ripping tool like httrack?
  7. DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    1) No. You're only the second Linux user so far, so I didn't bother compiling one. Can you run it under WINE?

2) You end up with the PMs as single html files (if you save PMs), or threads organized into individual folders with working links between pages.

3) I haven't used httrack, but if I had to hazard a guess from its FAQs, I'd say this tool allows you to save PMs and individual threads rather than having to download the entire forum.
  8. DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus

star 6
  9. FlareStorm Force Ghost

star 6
    Don't we need the python runtime libraries to make this work properly?

If so, that could explain why people on different machines are having issues. They might have old versions installed from some other stuff, or not installed at all.

If that's the issue, it should work on Linux too just fine. We just need the proper downloads. I'd look but I don't know python and the pages are a mess
  10. Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus

star 8
    Too bad this thing doesn't have a timer. I'm curious how long my download of all of Costuming and Props is going to take.
  11. Jedi_Liz Force Ghost

star 6
    I originally downloaded this on a different computer....now I am trying to download it again...got it downloaded and opened with an unzip program....however, when I click on the exe file, I get a little window that sort of opens....but then closes....and I can't see anything (the window opens and closes really fast). Do I need anything else to make this run right? I have Windows 7 Home Professional, 64 bit.
  12. FlareStorm Force Ghost

star 6
    yeah this is what I was getting at.

Python is a open source computer language, that Windows and Linux and others OSes doesn't support natively. So in order to run stuff written in Python, you need to install stuffs to tell your computer how.

Good news: The stuff you need to download is virus free, doesn't run in the background, won't muck up your computer. You just run the installer and let it be on your hard drive, it's there when its needed.

Bad news: The Python download page is not user friendly at all (http://www.python.org/getit/) You need to know your OS and whether you are 32 or 64 bit.

For you Liz, I'd say download "Python 3.2.2 Windows X86-64 MSI Installer" from http://www.python.org/getit/ Install it, try the program, and get back to me with the results
  13. Jedi_Liz Force Ghost

star 6
    okay, downloaded Python, but how do I USE it? I am pretty computer savvy, but not when it comes to programming.

edit: after extracting JC_BackUp to a folder on my desktop finally got that to open properly.
  14. Grimby Technical Consultant

Administrator
    star 7
    You don't need to download Python to make this work. It's an .exe file. And besides, the zip file already includes the python core .dll. You just have to make sure you extract the zip file before you try to run it, otherwise you'll get the same result as Liz originally had.
  15. DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Yeah FYI for future reference:

(1) No, you do not need Python installed. The relevant Python .dlls and things are included in the download. (By the way it's written in Python 2.7 so please don't install Python 3.x and expect that to help. The two versions are not compatible.)

(2) Yes, you do need to extract the .zip file before running it. Windows will let you execute the .exe from within the zip, but it won't work. Unzip it first.

(3) There is no Linux version because there has been exactly one Linux user asking for it and he said he could run it under WINE. If there are more people out there that want to use it natively on Linux, shoot me a PM or post here and I'll see what I can do.

Miana - Unfortunately there's no easy way to put in a timer that says "X minutes remaining" because it's not sophisticated enough to know how long it's going to take until it gets there. I could put in a "X minutes elapsed" sort of thing if you like though?
  16. Ree Force Ghost

star 5
    Hey Xan, thanks for doing this you are a whiz!

Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza