main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Just in case you didn't think I was arrogant enough... (clip inside)

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Ryan_W, Mar 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. durbnpoisn

durbnpoisn TFN Staff Cast & Crew Database star 5 VIP

May 20, 2002
    I second that!

But, I would like to see more it of take place in space. There was a whole segment in the book of federation ships trying to escape and the ensuing battle. They shot that, (from what I hear) but it was left on the cutting room floor. Man, they shoulda put some of that in there. Let's hope they get it in III.

2. MasterZap

MasterZap Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 11, 2002
    Sure you can make the glow dark red. Just be prepared to have it be invisible on top of anything but a black background.

Or, dream of a computer/movie screen which can give 200% red in a color ;)

(I mean, the problem here is that 100% red is only 30% as bright as 100% white, 100% blue is only 20% as bright as 100% white, and 100% green only 50% as bright. This means the ONLY way to make 100% red look "brighter" in RGB space is to add white to it)

/Z

3. Nath

Nath Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 29, 2002
    True, but a slight tint can help.

Ryan's blue saber might have looked better with a little less blue in it.

4. Ryan_W

Ryan_W VIP star 4 VIP

Aug 15, 2001
    ...what do you mean?

5. Xorbo

Xorbo Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 28, 2003
    i find that if you fool around with some shadows in color balance, it can get a more concentrated aura with a bit less broad and deep colored glow. like a mix of ilm and ryans method.

6. Antilles01

Antilles01 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 5, 2001
    some of the best sabers I have seen in a fanfilm were in one of Clays films, i think it was called A New World or something similar, i forget the actual title. There was a short test .mov that i downloaded a long time ago of Clay and his opponent fighting their routine but not in costume...those are some of the best sabers I've seen. There's just.... something about them.

7. Ryan_W

Ryan_W VIP star 4 VIP

Aug 15, 2001
    The New World. Yeah. Classic. :D

I think what is is is that the background for the shot was suitable for Paint Shop Pro's equivalent to Add mode (I thinkt hat's the prog he used) And add is a very cool look to help things look "hot" but only in specific circumstances does it really look good. That fight is a prime example.

Oh and I forgot to mentiont his earlier but someone was talking about AOTC droids not being able to aim good and even refrenced the super cloudy/windy shooting shot... I looked close at this shot a while ago. If you do the same you'll notice a super battle droid actually fires two shots into two battledroids in front of him, destroying them both. Guess he doesn't like his inferior counterparts. :D

8. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Ah, the New World. To be completely honest, I have looked to none of the SW films for the ideal example of what I want my lightsabers to look at. I aim with every project to make my sabers look like Clay's did in that fan film.

M. Scott

9. Nath

Nov 29, 2002
    ...what do you mean?

Oops, I meant the red saber -- not the blue one -- would have looked better with less blue in it.

10. Ryan_W

Ryan_W VIP star 4 VIP

Aug 15, 2001
    There is no blue in it. It's color balanced for pure red.

11. John2460

John2460 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 29, 2002
    Not sure this is still the topic in this thread, but I do agree that the sabers in the final duel could have been better. But very few people have commented on the sabers in the rest of the film. Obi-Wan's saber in the Jango fight on Kamino and a the battle of Geonosis looked pretty damn good.

So ILM didn't completely screw up with AOTC sabers.

But I can tell you this, the sabers in the hanger looked a heck of a lot better than Anakin's when he ignited his in Padme's bedroom.

Edit: And by the way, that was not sex joke. :)

12. durbnpoisn

durbnpoisn TFN Staff Cast & Crew Database star 5 VIP

May 20, 2002
    That is a very good point.

I think that for the most part, the sabers were fairly consistent all the way through TPM. I think they were pretty consistant in the OT too (except for ANH, but, we can't be very critical about that).
    But, they vary greatly from scene to scene in AOTC. Perhaps it was the very high number of scenes (with different lighting and so on). Perhaps it was that they had 1500 people rotoscoping sabers because there were SO many of them - consequently each different persons technique varried a bit. (I made that number up). Maybe (as Dorkman says) it was the digital format they were mastering to.

I guess we'll never really know. :D

13. teutonicknight

teutonicknight Jedi Youngling star 2

May 10, 2002
    "Edit: And by the way, that was not sex joke"

"That is a very good point. "

LOL!

"some of the best sabers I have seen in a fanfilm were in one of Clays films, i think it was called A New World or something similar, i forget the actual title."

Link?

14. John2460

Jul 29, 2002
    The New World used to hosted on TFN but was taken down at the request of Clay himself. It's not hosted anywhere else, I don't think.

If you really want to see it, I can send it too you.

15. Antilles01

Antilles01 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 5, 2001
    The only thing i have remaining of The New World is a small .mov called test3 which was a fight test for that movie. if you really want to see it and can't get something from another place, check my info and get my email or AIM name.

16. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Ah yes, test3.mov. Also known as the "Matrix Test". That's the one, the single file I can point to and go "That's why I decided to make a fan film."

Never looked back since.

M. Scott

17. SZier

SZier Jedi Youngling star 2

May 14, 2002
    "The answer is fairly obvious as to why they went CG."

Also, if you have a whole army of people with the exact same height and dimensions; I'm sure it helps as well. Saves a lot of casting.

The glow for the light sabers in AOTC looks, strangely enough, almost identical to the ones Allen and I did for Reciprocity. And we were in a rush. Same kind of add layer and glow effect. To be honest, I prefer the Ryan look, which carries a lot more white to it.

However, as many have said, I didn't notice at all when watching the film.

I would comment that the final duel left me somewhat upset. I was expecting Anakin to be a lot better in battle, and a lot less brash and angry in this film. I always thought at some point he was a great Jedi, before turning. I didn't see him do anything that warrants Obi-Wan calling him "A good friend" from the OT. He just should have been.... cooler.

I mean, the Stormtroopers were a whole lot cooler! I'd sign up for the empire if I saw them running around, jumping out of transports with two handed blaster rifles.
    Heck, the republic can't make any decisions anyway, without Jar Jar or Padme bringing up a vote first.

Scott

18. Xorbo

Xorbo Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 28, 2003
    test3? i do not have this. the only part of the new world that i have is the training part. first fanfilm i ever saw, i was amazed that effects on a small personal level were possible!

neways, anyone know any sites i can dl any of clay's stuff from? i have really slow internet so it is not worth trying to be sent the file then being disconnected from the net with 10 seconds to go, which happens too often.

19. John2460

Jul 29, 2002
  20. Nath

Nov 29, 2002
    Yes, but the end result isn't (255, 0, 0). It looks brighter than that. This means that there's a bit of blue and green -- maybe (255, 64, 64). I just made up that number, but it'll do as an example. I was suggesting decreasing the blue, to give a color like (255, 64, 32). Or something.

21. Ryan_W

Ryan_W VIP star 4 VIP

Aug 15, 2001
    We're talking about a fade from white to black (clear) here. The red color is a range from light to dark. It's balanced for pure red. There's no way to take any other color out without altering the video so white isn't pure white. Try it yourself and you'll see what I mean. This is brightness, not the addition of th eother two colors. If you tamper with that you're just cheating and changing how white the color white is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.