main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Just joined today, Huge question from hopeful fan...

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by Groundguerrilla, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Groundguerrilla

Groundguerrilla Jedi Youngling

Nov 6, 2012
    Ok, first of all, I'm very glad to be joining this community! Hello to all. I apologize because I'm sure this is not the first time this question has been asked but here is my conundrum...I am 35 years old and, like every 80's kid (right?) am a huge SW fan, as far as General Audience level goes anyway. Recently, I had decided that I finally had time to delve into the ever expansive EU so I bought John Jackson Miller's "Lost Tribe of the Sith, the Collected Stories". It seems I had no more than opened the cover when the news of this Disney acquisition came across. I was prepared to spend many hours enjoying the EU from a bottom up chronological approach. Of course my question is this...What of the EU is going to be relevant post Ep 7 and beyond? I realize that a good story is a good story which deserves to be read regardless, but given these new circumstances, perhaps I would be wise to be a little selective in what I study since I am brand new at this. May as well keep it to the canon which is more likely to still BE canon, post 2015. Thanks for any input. Cheers

2. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Hi! welcome. Clicke the gigantenormous blue bar above our conversation marked "Episdoe VII" and jump into one of the myriad "ZOMG!!!! EU is done for!!!!" discussions in there. Disney did aquire the EU, too, but the reality is probably much higher in terms of odds that they will stripmine it for characters, names, etc than to faithfully translate it to screen. If Harrison Ford is willing to return, you can kiss Chewie being dead goodbye.

Anyhow, go dive in up there through that handy portal and if you have any questions or problems, ehre is the place to come back and ask.

Groundguerrilla likes this.
  3. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Thats a good start Chorus, or you could visit http://boards.theforce.net/forums/eu-community.10194/ The Expanded Universe Forums, where past, present and future EU is discussed, fandom is created and fun is had! I'm a teenager of the 80's, so I do remember that time ;)

4. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    Welcome Groundguerilla! :)

You're questions can't be answered easily, since Disney itself isn't sure about the story as far as I know. So best bet would be reading everything until the time of SW VI. ;) But for discussing what might stay canon and what not or which books are "save" to read, you got the best two places named above already.

It is really interesting, what Episode 7 will be about and how much it'll be canon (or if it makes big changes to the current canon). Lots of question and just one simple answer: We'll see! ;)

Enjoy your stay! :)