main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Just lost my *entire* 80 GB external HD. . .

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by ewingsquadron, Jul 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ewingsquadron

ewingsquadron Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 5, 2001
    You know that movie I was working on? "Detective Taydon and the Mystery of Sifo-Dyas?"

Well, apparently my 80 gig thought that it sucked really bad, and decided to do me a favor by erasing my entire drive. [face_plain]

Not only did I lose every project for my movie, I also lost all of my website files, work for my school's yearbook, and over 5 days worth of MP3's.

How was I supposed to back up over 60 GB worth of data? I lost it all, and I guess now it doesn't matter. Losing my drive you'd think would be enough, but I also recently found out that Apple is going to start charging for their "free" webspace.

So, my movie will not be coming out as soon as I had hoped (ie, before school starts) and I may never finish it. So, who wants to stick around to see me cry?

:_|

2. LordFrisian

LordFrisian Jedi Youngling

May 21, 2002
    Well, that really sounds like a worst case. I can understand that you feel very miserable!

Just to be sure: How do you know that your data is really gone? Have you had a look at the partition table or the raw device?
    You shouldn't count on that, but sometimes it is possible to restore data, even if the hard drive's processors are physically destroyed.

What is your exact status?

3. Tho Yor

Tho Yor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    Awww man I feel so sorry for you. That can be so bad. I'm always worried about losing my hard drive.

Guess this is a lesson to make frequent CD backups of all important stuff.

But as Frisian says, double check it just in case it can be salvaged.

4. ewingsquadron

ewingsquadron Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 5, 2001
    Well, since it's an external drive, my first thought was that it's the computer or the wire (neither of which were the case). When I would plug it in through fire-wire, my Mac wouldn't read it, and said that the disk hasn't been formatted. It gave and option to either Eject or Initialize, and that kind of freaked me out.

So, I took the drive over to a friends house, and had his dad (one of my computer graphic teachers) and had him run Disk Warrior and Norton on it. It had the name showing up at least (The Mighty Big 80 Gig) but it said that 76.8 GB was available, bascially the factory setting.

We tried our damndest, but had to settle for initialzing it, and hoping that Disk Warrior would restore it. Well, it didn't, and there's not much I can do about it now, but to start over.

5. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    Unless you overwrote all of the data on your disk it really should still be there, it just needs to be found again.

What disk is it (an External Maxtor?)

Have you tried good old Disk First aid on it? What actually happens, can you just not see the Hard-drive icon on your desktop?

As for the Apple webspace, it's such good value, I've just bought an iDisk account, and it's 100MB of disk space for $49.99 a year, so that doesn't appear to be to much of a disaster.

EDIT: Oh, it appears you did overwrite all of the data then. Oopsie. :(

6. Avene

Avene Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2000
    Sorry to hear about that. What brand of drive was it? I was looking at getting an 80gig firewire drive. Although the drive itself is a Seagate. They're usually reliable.

7. LordFrisian

LordFrisian Jedi Youngling

May 21, 2002
    Oh dear... DaftMaul is right: If the drive has been *reinitialized*, then there has probably a new file system been created (I'm not so familiar with the Mac's terminology). Not good! Anyway, one last question: How much time did this process take? Did the drive have enough time to physically overwrite the complete 80GB with zeros?

8. swmaster

swmaster Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 16, 2001
    I would say since its an external drive and it appears blank/unformatted then there is a good chance a magnetic scource erased it. Start backtracking everywhere its been. Did you lay it on a tv or stereo?, or a speaker?, maby there is a magnet laying around that erased it.

SWmaster

9. NickLong

NickLong Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    Mountain Dew anybody?

/me ducks

anyway,

Nick "Shorty" Long

10. Shawn PTH

Shawn PTH Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2000
    *SLAMS a mountain dew can into Nicks Forhead* Dont be bad mouthin the dew! Remember that was a hoax damnit! =P

11. Rikalonius

Rikalonius Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 26, 2001
    It will cost you a lot of money, but you could take it to a professional recovery service. I did that when I lost my internal Wester Digital on my PC. It was a 10gig and it had ALL my 3D models, animations and pictures. It cost me $200 dollors. Problem is, I only got back files I didn't need. None of my 3D stuff.

I know exactly how you feel. I had models I had worked on for a year, like my ultra realistic Ferrari 550. Gone, haven't had the heart to start that over.

:(

12. Carl_el_cee

Carl_el_cee Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 9, 2002
    I usually backup my files onto CD also. My last backup was last month. But the problem is, you end up having all these CD's full of your data. I guess that the trick so to not accumulate so many is to use CR-Rws, huh? Or just leave the CD sessions open or whatever. When you backup your drive, you also normally would throw away your old ones as you know have the updated data.
    The problem with this whole gig is, that you never know when you're gonna lose your HD to some nasty accident...

Carl

13. Semaj Ovured

Semaj Ovured Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2000
    YOUCH!

Don't lose heart, ewing. There are DATA RECOVERY people out there that may be able to save your stuff.

Don't give up, yet!

14. PadawanNick

PadawanNick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    You know...
    To make backups in the future, your best bet might be to get an extra hard disk. 40Gig drives are under $100 and it sure is easy to copy over your files on a regular basis.

Plus, if you ever needed to go to the back up, you could work directly off the backup drive. No "restore" procedure/effort required.

Good luck.

Try to still have fun.

15. Macho

Macho Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2001
    that really sucks! i was looking forward to that movie! You do know that apple is going to charge for webspace and an e-mail address

16. KillerBobBarker

KillerBobBarker Jedi Youngling star 1

May 6, 2002
    Get DVD-RAM... back up the whole thing on a couple of those discs. And you can use them over again.

17. InsolentFury

InsolentFury Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 18, 2002
    yeah sorry man, that does suck. and im always getting mad at my comp when photoshop freezes up on me during rotoscoping. heh

18. Darth_Sway

Darth_Sway Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 5, 2002
    Invest in a DVD burner! I did. You can get dowble sided disc that hold almost 10 gig.
    I bought 1 for $275... The best money I ever spent!

19. wixmmm

wixmmm Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 2001
    ^^^But those take forever to burn, and you can only burn one side at a time... mine as well just get 2 dvd-r discs for cheaper.

Cya
    Mike

20. PadawanNick

PadawanNick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    Yeah, but for under $100 you can just get a 40Gig hard disk and copy all your data to that. You need at least 10 DVDs or 70! CD's to store the same information. (Plus it's all in one place and its much faster than CD or DVD.)

Just get an extra drive, plug it in, and copy your data every couple-a-days.

Have fun.

21. Darth_Sway

Jun 5, 2002
    True another drive is cheaper.. and No it doesn't take forever to burn. 2x DVD burning is equivalent to about 8X CD burning.

22. Darth_Sway

Jun 5, 2002
    true but I got 10 blank DVD's for $15 on the internet.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.