main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Just One More Turn!" or Civilization IV Discussion

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Jedi_Dajuan, Nov 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    Civilization, one of the most obsessive games ever made. "Just one more turn" can go on for hours and hours, trust me, I know.

That being said has anyone gotten Civ IV yet? Thoughts on it, how does it compare to the others, etc.

2. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I got it and have played through a couple games. My computer is just above the bare minimum specs though so it's been running a bit slowly. Especially towards the end of the game when there is just so much going on. World Wars make for long computer turns.

Tht said I really enjoy it. I definetly like how combat is handled in this game. I've only had a tank killed by a spearman once so far! I'm still a bit iffy on Religion. It hasn't really made that big of an impact on any of my games so far. The new Civics system is outstanding though. Rather than just saying "Communisim" or "Republic" or whatever, there are like twentt five different civic options to choose from. You can have freedom of speech AND slavery. You can mix and match whatever you want. Really cool. And you get kept up to date on what your allies choose. Last night I got the message: "Roosevelt has adopted Slavery" If you've even remotly enjoyed the others get this game.

3. Blaaat

Blaaat Jedi Youngling

Oct 17, 2005
    I completly agree with Darth-Lando except on the religion aspect. I think religion can have an important impact on the game, a very important impact. Basicly at the start of each game I make sure I'm the first to research all the religions...why? Simple: money. Basicly if you're the first one to research all the religions then you will get several great prophets and with each prophet I always make sure to build an unique religious temple (for example for the Judaism its Temple of Solomon). Each of these temples give you + 1 gold for every city that has that relgion that means you will get at least 7 gold extra per turn and in the long run you basicly get 1 gold for every city on the map :D

The only part I find dissapointing is that there's no difference in religion. It would be cool if there was a way to start a crusade with Christianity or the Jih'had (sp?) with the Islam, where you fight other religions.

Ah well that's Political Correctness for you :p

4. Anakin_Sockwalker

Anakin_Sockwalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2005
    I haven't got CivIV yet, and I probably won't. CivII is all I need for this genre. :p

5. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    I've got it but haven't got round to playing it yet. Too busy with X3 Reunion.

I aim to get this up and running over the weekend. I just hope it isn't as disappointing as Civ 3

6. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I've enjoyed each Civ more than the previous ones. What didn't you like about Civ 3?

7. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    It just didn't enthrall me like the previous 2 versions.

I don't know why, maybe it was a touch of the old rose tinted spec we all get every now and then.

I have high hopes for 4 though

8. vader1025

vader1025 Jedi Master star 1

Dec 2, 2004
    I love the game but it becomes unplayable for me as soon as I discover the entire world.

Crash to desktops, Blue screens of death..it's nut.

I went to a few places for tech help and the main thing I'm told is "don't play with as many civilizations and play on a small map".

I don't want to gimp myself in gameplay-I didn't buy it for a "small" game.
    A LOT of people are having this issue and others but so far, no fix:(

9. HowardFilms

HowardFilms Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 18, 2005
    d/ling trial, seeing if its worth it to get Civ IV.

10. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Still not playing it as I'm too busy on X-3 Reunion.

I'll give it a go tonight though I think.

11. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    I've rarely had problems with it, and when I do, it's just a graphics slowdown for a minute or two, then it goes back to normal.

The AI is pretty devious at times...

12. Kish

Kish Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 12, 2004
    Was a pretty fun game. I was addicted to it untill I beat it. Now i've put it far far away so it doesn't suck up any time.

My only issue with it is that the loading time between turns gets EXTREMELY LONG. I'm talking 3 minutes+.

This made it more of a pain to try and finish games. Especially at times where you don't need to do anything for the turn. So you click next turn. Wait 3-5 minutes. And then click Next turn again. You end up wasting 10 minutes of just waiting.

I have literally completed homework assignments at the same time I play Civ IV.

A little tip too, when negotiating a peace deal. Give them the peace deal that you find acceptable. You can be as extreme as you want. Demand all their cities, whatever.

Ask them if the deal is acceptable. They will laugh at you. Then(without clearing the table) ask them what they want for peace. They will make their demands, however, because of a bug nothing on the table will actually change. They will say, Is this deal acceptable? But it will be the same deal that you demanded from them in the first place.

Choose Accept, and bingo. You just aquired all their cities/technology/dignity.

It is a cheap method though. Only meant for n00bs. =]

13. sccrman95

sccrman95 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 16, 2004
    I'll probably get it eventually.

Sccrman95

14. Rogue_Thunder

Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada star 6

Jan 7, 2003
    Man I can't wait to get my hands on this game! In your guys' opinion is it just as good as Civ III?

15. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005

I refuse to buy Civ IV. It's going to kill me not playing it, but I can't believe the system requirements. I usually game on a console and only sit down at my desktop to clear print queues or clean up files faster. Other than that, it's laptop all the way. I don't have a brand new high end laptop, but mine is still pretty good. 1.8 Pentium M, 1 GB Ram, 60 GB hard drive, DVDRW and......64 MB of graphics.

There goes any chance of me playing Civ on the go. Have to use the desktop. Wait, I havn't looked at my desktop in so long I don't KNOW what type of graphics card it has. Seriously, does a STRATEGY GAME really need to use 128 MB of Video Memory? It was the same thought I had with my Tecra 9100 (P IV, 512 RAM, Pentium M 1.5) failing to be fast enough for CHESSMASTER!

Pretty graphics are fine, but there should be an option to turn them off. Civ is all about the gameplay for me. I could give a damn if the spearman look more detailed. Arrrgh.

Carnage

16. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Does anyone have more advice about this game?

I was hearing that there were some complaints about it.

For background, I was basically a Civ I devotee, and that game became the most intensely played of probably anything on the PC that I've ever owned, for both me and my family. Countless hours were spent on that, and I continued to come back to it even as recently as within a year of the Civ III release. I lost contact with the series, and was never aware a sequel was produced.

Somehow, though, someone clued me in to Civ III just before it came out, so I bought that. I enjoyed the new diplomacy system, as it actually made more peaceful playing seem like a feasible strategy. However, I was kind of upset that they had ruined the effectiveness of the chariot as the ideal military unit (early on, anyway), and in general found war to be a lot more difficult to work with in the sequel than the original. I've heard complaints that in IV, defense is heavily favored, and war is even harder to carry out. Is this stuff true? What are people's opinion on all this?

Also, does the whole system of farms/cottages/etc make the game more interesting, or does it become so complex that it's unmanageable? What do you guys think?

I'd appreciate any feedback I can get, as I just found out about Civ IV today. I'm obviously really excited, but I'm on the fence about whether I should purchase it or not. I want to make sure the game is moving in directions I like, and not away from them. Any help? General, overall summaries of how the game differs from III or I (one) would be helpful as well.

17. Carnage04

Mar 8, 2005

I cracked and bought a video card that supports Civ IV. I do most of my gaming on a console, but I love the Civ series. Civ II was really good...Civ III....I dunno. Civ IV....Just awesome. Alot of changes, alot of new City Improvements, Units, Wonders, Resources, ways to manage your cities, ways to obtain victory..... Military victory seems to be easier than in Civ III and has added terrain advantages and unit upgrades (Without paying or having Leonardos Workshop, the culture is better, the "Great Person" thing is done well, World Wonders aren't as powerful and you can only build a few in each city, having "Civics" and "Religions" instead of just A few government types is interesting. You are exposed to a great deal more of actual historic things (Albeit, the historical aspects are not accurate, but I really didn't know what a few of the wonders (Ankor Wat) were. It is WAAAY more complex than the original but it certainly is great. Only problem is the slowness and crashes near the end game. If you havn't picked up a copy of a Civ game since the original, I really recommend picking this one up. However, expect to be waaaay overwhelmed.

Carnage

18. Imperial_Hammer

Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 25, 2004
    The 1.52 Patch for Civ 4 really helps the game run on low spec. systems....

Which is awesome as my comp falls just barely in the specs... ;)

The patch really helps...

Also, I'm Imperial_Hammer in multiplayer as well (which has also been greatly revamped!). Buddy request me! ;) I would so be up for a JC game... :)

Its by far the best multiplaying interface for the game I've seen ever since I've been with the series (Civ 2).

Nothing but praise for Civ 4!!! :D

-I_H

19. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Where do you get the patches from??????

I've tried going through update on the game and it just seems to hang and I've been to the Fireaxxis website and there's nothing shown there either.

Games great though

20. Imperial_Hammer

Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 25, 2004
    You can get em right here! :)

Civ 4: 1.52 Patch

Use the mirrors...

Its definitely worth it! ;)

21. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Cheers for that.

22. Lord_NoONE

Lord_NoONE Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2001
    Yes, the patch helps a lot for later games.

This game is brilliant, beautiful, and challenging. Great game.

23. HowardFilms

HowardFilms Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 18, 2005
    Is there anyone else out there who hated Civ4? I've played all the others and loved them. Civ 4 is just too different.

24. Carnage04

Mar 8, 2005

How many times did you play it? It takes a little bit getting used to, but the experience is richer. Having multiple religions and civics makes things so less generic. Updating the Wonders to have things like "Rock and Roll" and Improvements like "Broadcast Tower" seem to modernize the late part of the game. I think that the tile improvements are alot cooler and make you put alot more effort into planning your cities. The differences in choosing a Civ seem to be much greater, also. Personally, I hated Civ III. I loved the added Culture, but I just never got into it and found myself always playing some type of Civ II game. I was a little ticked at having to buy a video card to play Civ IV and didn't enjoy my first run through the game. Now I am rehooked. Give it some time. Unlearn what you have learned playing the previous games and BEWARE THE BARBARIANS. They are awesome in Civ IV.

Carnage

25. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    I got this about 2 weeks ago and am loving it. As proven by staying up until 1 or 2 AM then trying to get up for work in the morning. [face_tired] [face_shhh]

The interface is fun, intuitive and less mico-management intensive. Big plus. New tech-tree items and other mods are nice, and makes it more addicting. My system is at the bottom end of the specs, so I can't play the wonder movies, but once I put it on minimum graphics, the game sped up and flowed much better.

If you like playing the Civ series, or like wasting away hours and days of your life by taking over the world, then you'll enjoy the game. But don't get this if you really, really need to get up and get to work on time (especially early in the morning). This game could cause a serious loss-of-emplyment casualty. :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.