Before Just One Night - A Story about Love (SW/Moulin Rouge crossover) - Author's Note 12/08

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Kestrel_Kenobi, Feb 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. Kestrel_Kenobi Force Ghost

star 4
    Title: Just One Night ? A Story about Love.
    Author: Kestrel_Kenobi
    Genre: Romance, angst, humor, drama, crossover, tragedy...
    Timeframe: Seven (or so) years before TPM.
    Characters: Obi-Wan, Satine (from Moulin Rouge), Qui-Gon, various OCs.
    Summary: Star Wars meets Moulin Rouge. Written in honor of Valentines Day, musicals and star-crossed lovers everywhere!
    Disclaimer: I would love to own Star Wars and Moulin Rouge and everyone in them, but I don?t.

Notes: As parts of this story may not make the PG rating they will be available by PM only. The lines in italics before each chapter are from various songs and various musicals. Some of the dialogue is also taken from Moulin Rouge. If you desperately want to know what is from where please PM me! Trailer for this fic can be viewed here.

Thank you to ardavenport who has offered to be my beta! :)

06/27 - [:D] Thank you for nominating this fic for the Summer '06 awards! :D

Prologue

Let your mind start a journey through a strange new world
    Leave all thoughts of the world you knew before
    Let your soul take you where you long to be
    Only then can you belong to me . . .from Phantom of the Opera

He came here every night to watch her. He sat at the same table each evening and ordered the same drink. The place heaved with bodies of every species imaginable. Everywhere he looked there was dancing, laughing, conversation and music. Music like he had never heard before and it excited him.

The giant red windmill which housed this world stood apart from the other buildings. The noise streaming from its doors and the lights blinking at those who passed by...Moulin Rouge reflected in their eyes. Until recently the backstreets of Coruscant were unknown to Obi-Wan until by chance he had come across this place while out alone. Obi-Wan?s Master had become accustomed to his nightly walks and encouraged him to use this time alone to discover things about himself.

On the way Obi-Wan had discovered someone else as well.

Behind the great doors and beyond the red curtain was the girl; the Sparkling Diamond. There were other girls who would call to him and dance for him. Girls dressed in the most colourful and arousing clothing Obi-Wan had encountered. But he refused their advances ? he only had eyes for her...the girl with the exquisite blue eyes and flowing red hair. Her outfits were stunning, and she seemed to possess one for every night of the year. Obi-Wan?s eyes never strayed from her and he knew every line on her face, every movement she danced and every song that she sang. He noted the laughter in her mouth and the sadness in her eyes. She had hypnotised him with her beauty.

Obi-Wan didn?t deny that he longed to touch her - to taste her. But he wanted more than her body. He wanted her heart and her soul. He wanted her love.
  2. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    Oh, you've got me hooked. :) Great emotive beginning.
  3. Stella_Ripple Jedi Knight

star 3
    Impressive, most impressive! :D
    Great start! I really love the concept of this crossover- though I guess I shouldn't be surprised, seeing the author is you! :)
    Seriously, I loved how Obi-Wan's longing is palpable here, you can really feel his emotions!
    I can't wait to see where you take this!! :D
  4. jodiwent Force Ghost

star 4
    Oooh, two of my favorite things together.

That was way too short. Starts [face_whistling]Come What May.

5. kenobiwanobi Jedi Knight

star 3
    That was amazing. I love your story,starwars, and moulin rouge...great combo.

PM me with updates please..:)

GREAT JOB
  6. SkalenFehl Force Ghost

star 4
    Alright, I gotta admit I enjoyed the movie as a big Ewan and also Nicole fan. It helps that I grew up listening to all the music that was featured. As for Satine, well, I can't help but think of Mara Jade, but I'll keep Nicole's face in mind when reading more. :D
  7. KELIA Manager Emeritus

star 6
    What a wonderful beginning.

I like that Obi-Wan is interested in more than...ahem...the physical.

If you have a PM list, I'd love to be on it [face_praying] [face_praying]
    For the non PG versions as well.

Looking forward to more

=D= =D= =D= =D=
  8. dianethx Force Ghost

star 6
    Usually, I don't read crossovers but this is very intriguing. Please PM me when you update and especially any PG-13 or above story posts... I'm old enough!
  9. ZekksGoddess Force Ghost

star 4
    Great start! Can't wait to see what else you've got.
    I'd love to be on a PM list if you've got one. =D= :D
  10. Kestrel_Kenobi Force Ghost

star 4
    Quick message as I can hardly see straight! I was hoping to have chap. 1 up - as it is I'm sick [face_sick] and so there's going to be a delay on getting this going!

Sorry guys!

Thanks to all who read and enjoyed my teaser! :D
  11. Gkilkenny Force Ghost

star 4

Sorry that your sick [:D]
    Get well soon [face_praying]

Please PM me with updates when you can
  12. jodiwent Force Ghost

star 4
    Have a hot cup of [face_coffee] tea, and get pleanty of I-) sleep, and feel better soon.
  13. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Obi-Wan in Moulin Rouge. Perfect fit of course! ;) :p

Lovely start Kes. :)
  14. corellian-jedi Jedi Master

star 2
    Nice ... I loved the musical.:D

Very interesting. Do continue! [face_batting]
  15. obi_webb Force Ghost

star 4
    i'm quite excited about the possibilites for this kes! the opening was quite intriguing and i look forward to see what you have in store for us!
    =D=
    with only a bit of text, you managed to mix the star wars universe, and the world of moulin rogue together really well!
  16. jaina_clan_solo Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm hooked :D I was wondering how long it would be before someone wrote a SW/Moulin Rouge crossover.

This looks like it is going to be really good Kes. Can I get a PM when you update?

* And I hope you feel better soon! [:D]

jcs
  17. Kestrel_Kenobi Force Ghost

star 4
    Thanks so much to those who wished me well - I'm finally better! :D

I'm planning on catching up with all my reading/updating tonight - so there should be something more for you to read!

Thanks to everyone who has read and reviewed so far! [:D]
  18. Kestrel_Kenobi Force Ghost

star 4
    Thanks to ardavenport for being such a speedy beta :D

Love makes us act like we are fools.
    Throw our lives away
    For one happy day? From Moulin Rouge

?You?re going out again Obi-Wan?? Qui-Gon raised an eyebrow at his Padawan who hastily made his way to the door.
    The young man stopped and turned to the older Jedi who sat watching him from a couch in the small apartment they shared.

?Yes Master...you said...?

Qui-Gon waved his hand stopping Obi-Wan in mid sentence.

?Yes, I know my Padawan, but just because you now have permission to come and go as you please from the Temple doesn?t mean you should abuse that privilege,? he paused. ?I don?t believe we?ve spent an evening together for quite sometime.?

Obi-Wan wavered finding himself torn between his two worlds and for the briefest of moments Qui-Gon thought that his Padawan would disobey his ?request?.

?Of course Master,? Obi-Wan replied as he removed his cloak, relieved that he had not been asked to reveal his destination.

Qui-Gon smiled and nodded at the young man, but inside he felt uneasy ? Obi-Wan was hiding something from him and that was never good.

Satine automatically moved through her routine while the audience around her roared in approval. Her body knew every movement and her lips every word; her mind however had disengaged once she had seen the empty table.

He wasn?t here.

She hadn?t realised until now how much the young man whom she had yet to even speak to had affected her. The truth was, she had noticed him because he hadn?t spoken to her. Everyone approached Satine and the fact that he hadn?t made her curious. The other girls had taunted and made plenty of jokes about his apparent lack of action, but Satine hadn?t joined in with their mocking. There was something about the young man that had aroused her curiosity. This in turn delighted and dismayed her. She was not someone who felt anything from anybody; she had long ago discovered how disastrous that could be. She had spent nights telling herself that he meant nothing, he was nothing...

Although her heart felt differently, her heart that had been frozen for so long melted under his gaze.

And he hadn?t even uttered a word.

The darkness swallowed Obi-Wan as he crept from the Temple into the night. He walked fast, breaking into a jog. It was late, very late. Would he be in time to see her? Unconsciously, he bit his lip as he thought of Satine and joy ran through his body. This feeling was short lived as Satine?s face was replaced by his Masters. What was he doing? He stopped in the street, breathing hard and stared up at the red sign blinking before him. Should he enter?

Just then the doors opened as some lovers stumbled into the night, pushing past him without an apology. The noise followed them out and put him in a trance as he heard her voice, singing, calling...drawing him closer

His mind made up, he pushed the doors open and stepped into the club.

Just one night, he told himself as he did every time...Just one night.

He waved his hand in front of the doorman?s face and was nodded in with out question. Pulling back the red curtain Obi-Wan took in the madness of the Moulin Rouge and felt his entire body relax ? here nothing was expected of him.

He was just another man.

It was almost closing time when he appeared. Inwardly she sighed with relief and then chastised herself for feeling so strongly. Watching him from beneath her long lashes she politely smiled at the young and the rich who surrounded her, excusing herself under much protest. She made her way to Obi-Wan?s table, her mind made up.

If he would not come to her, she would go to him. She would cure herself of her ridiculous obsession with this stranger once and for all.

Obi-Wan watched as Satine made her way towards him. Sitting up straight in his chair his thoughts jumped from surprise to delight and then horror. Would she expect him to speak!

Satine took in
  19. kenobiwanobi Jedi Knight

star 3
    Breath-takingly beautiful!!!!
  20. KELIA Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I love Obi-Wan's shyness...it's so sweet and no doubt very refreshing to Satine.

A private demonstration?

Hmmmmm...that could get interesting!

Great update and thans for the PM

=D= =D= =D= =D= =D=
  21. jaina_clan_solo Jedi Master

star 4
    In true Moulin Rouge fashion she is as attracted to him as he is to her...

Just one night, he told himself as he did every time...Just one night.

o_O ? Is that so?

Another great update Kes, so... what's next? :D

jcs
  22. Gkilkenny Force Ghost

star 4

Oh! So sweet Satine is going to get a private demonstration

Lucky girl=D=
  23. dianethx Force Ghost

star 6
    I love that Obi-Wan is being so shy about the whole thing. However, lying to his Master is going to get him into trouble big time!

Good job.
  24. jodiwent Force Ghost

star 4
    Is it me or is it getting hot in here?

25. obi_webb Force Ghost

star 4
    nice to see you back and feeling better kes![:D]
    and your back with some story updates! good deal! :cool:
    this was an amazing update too!
    LOVED that satine went on "auto-pilot", so to speak, when she noticed obi's empty table. a very good observation. i imagine in her line of work that unless there was a specific customer that caught her attention she would be not completely into her performance all the time.
    the thing that really adds to your story is that since obi is a jedi padawan, the moulin rogue is QUITE the forbidden place, and his feelings for satine aren't encouraged by the Order in the least! so that adds a really nice layer of conflict on top of this already fantastic story!
    i quite look forward to the next update on this!
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.