main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

just one question....

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by GaNgStA, May 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GaNgStA

GaNgStA Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 27, 2003
    Finde me stupid (as most of you already do :p) But can't you just make an screenwriting and go to Hollywood and direct it yourself??

C.J

2. Sau-Den

Sau-Den Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2002
    Well, sure, if you can find a crew that wants to work for you, a company that wants to give you money, a distributor that wants to release the film, and actors that want to act in it. It's far more complicated than just writing a script and going out to hollywood to direct it yourself. And the company that gives you money for making may not want you to direct it and they want some other actual director to do the job.

3. durbnpoisn

durbnpoisn TFN Staff Cast & Crew Database star 5 VIP

May 20, 2002
    You also have to stand in line behind 4,000,000 other guys with a script in their hand saying, "Make MY movie!!"

You have to be tremendously lucky no matter how good your screenplay is to even get anyone to look at it seriously.

4. GaNgStA

Feb 27, 2003
    oh.?? but why are there company's like universals, warner bros., and stuff what do they do? and how do you get an producer?

C.J

5. durbnpoisn

May 20, 2002
    They get 1000's upon 1000's of screenplays from hundreds and hundereds of wanna be director, writers, and actors. The ones that get seen first are the ones introduced by established people.

Only about 1 out of 1000 even gets read, and of those only about 1 out of 100 ever goes into production. And of those, only one out of 100 actaully get finished. And, of those, only 1 out of 100 make any money in the theater.
    Another handfull goes straight to video and never even sees the theater.

I'm not sure of these statistics, but its reasonably close, I'm sure.

6. Chris_F

Chris_F Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2003
    Way to make it sound so grim :(

7. durbnpoisn

May 20, 2002
    Grim?

It's not meant to sound discouraging. But, it sheds some light on why it's so difficult to get a professional film made.

Truth (reality) hurts, I guess.

8. Chris_F

May 8, 2003
    Difficult indeed, but that doesn't mean impossible. If your really determined enough, and won't stop every time life puts an obstacle in your way, you could just make it. It may not be a $50,000,000 movie at first, but every one has to stars somewhere.

9. durbnpoisn

May 20, 2002
    And, that, what you just said, is the beauty of independant film making. You don't need to jump through all those hoops. If you have that much faith in your film, find backers and make it!

Just ask Kevin Smith, or the guys that did Blair Witch if that's a good idea.

But, none of that has anything to do with Gangsta's original question. Which was, "Why don't I just give Hollywood my script and let them make the movie?"

10. SilverFox0440

SilverFox0440 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2001
    LOL.

What I plan to do is start with a low-budget, high-drama film to serve as a demo reel for A) my understanding of structure in screenwriting and character development, and B) my composition/blocking and other cinematographic skills. This is essentially what Bound did for the Wachowskis, and serves its perpose well. Having a film DONE puts you lightyears ahead of all of the aspiring directors/writers, and shows that you have the desire and will to work at it, so you're THAT much more likely to get the job directing/writing a feature film.

Indy film is definitely a good plan for getting to Hollywood.

11. GaNgStA

Feb 27, 2003
    What's an Indy film.. so you guyes whant to tell me that, i make an screenwriting now and go to hollywood and there will be upon 1000 people infront of me wanting to make an movie... hmm that just made my hope as an dirctor almost fade away. Just say i finishd film scool as an example New York Unevirsety do i have an bigger change to go and become an famous director or is there no change at all. I mean how many ppl did get famous by making there own screenwriting like (M.Night Shyamalan).

And wat does an agent do? i mean getting an agent is easy right? can't an agent get an producer or an company who whant you to make the film???

Man now i'm so afraid that i whon't ever become an director in the future....

C.J

12. SilverFox0440

Nov 28, 2001
    What's an Indy film.. so you guyes whant to tell me that, i make an screenwriting now and go to hollywood and there will be upon 1000 people infront of me wanting to make an movie... hmm that just made my hope as an dirctor almost fade away. Just say i finishd film scool as an example New York Unevirsety do i have an bigger change to go and become an famous director or is there no change at all. I mean how many ppl did get famous by making there own screenwriting like (M.Night Shyamalan).

And wat does an agent do? i mean getting an agent is easy right? can't an agent get an producer or an company who whant you to make the film???

Man now i'm so afraid that i whon't ever become an director in the future....

An indy film means independantly funded film. It means you save up your money, or bum it from your friends or small business, and pay for the production of it on your own capital.

There will be more than 1000 people. Also, Hollywood isn't like a store where you go and everything has set rules, and there will be a LINE of people. Hollywood, while it is a real PLACE, is often used to refer to all the agents and producers and production companies COLLECTIVELY.

Going to a school doesn't make you more of a contender in that you won't get prefferential treatment by the studio execs, but it makes you more capable and gives you a better understanding of the art, so your demo reel/whatever will be THAT much better, and more likely to get hired/bought.

MANY directors started in indy film. The vast majority of them. Start by making fanfilms or whatever for your local film competitions (or not-so-local) as a student. Keep doing it and your skills will improve. You will eventually win one, and a studio, however big or small, will be willing to fund a small movie. If that one is a success, you might have a bigger budget for your next one, etc, etc, until you make one presentable to the folks at a high-end, contending studio. Then you show it to them, and they will consider letting you direct something of theirs that you did not write. When you do that, if it fares well with the execs, you may be allowed to direct something you wrote yourself.

Agents are just people you hire who show your script to studios. They can be easy or hard to get, depending on their skill and connections. Hollywood is either all about connections (people you know in high places) or work. If you have no connections, just work your ass off.

If your hope faded away, then you weren't fit to be a director in the first place. What this all means is that you only get your movie made if you work hard.

13. yikes

yikes Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2002
    If I were you, I wouldnt let any discouragment stop you from your dreams. If everybody did that, there would be no hollywood and we wouldnt have any movies to watch.

14. Tempestjonny

Tempestjonny Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2002
    The life of a writer is a hard life.

15. SilverFox0440

Nov 28, 2001
    He PM'd me and he seems okay now.

16. JediTAC

JediTAC Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 30, 2000
    What language is he speaking anyway ??? :confused:

17. SilverFox0440

Nov 28, 2001
    I think he's natively Swedish or something. Welcome back, TAC. Remember, he only knows English from cartoon network.

18. John2460

John2460 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 29, 2002
    Gangsta, why are you allways so emotional in your posts, you must have a lot of problems. :p

But seriously, you can't expect to just write a screenplay and think you'll become some great movie maker and then cry about it when you learn that it takes more than that. There are thousands apon thousands of people like you out there that have the same dream, but to get noticed, you have to get your act together and make films, make good films that will show talent and effort on your part.

So it's not impossible to make it out there, you just have to work hard.

19. Chris_F

May 8, 2003
    1% Inspiration, 99% Perspiration

20. SilverFox0440

Nov 28, 2001
  21. durbnpoisn

May 20, 2002
    Everyone needs to remember that Gangsta is only 15. It's not like he has a lot of experience in these matters.

Let me clearly explain it all like this:
    Everything in the entertainment industry is driven by 2 things:
    1. Getting lucky enough to be noticed.
    2. Being so exceptionally good at what you do that it's very easy to get noticed.

Obviously number 2 is not so easy to come by. And it's very frustrating to people who fall into number 1, who've been busting their hump for years with no recognition.

What you need more than anything else is these 3 things:
    1. Experience
    2. Experience
    3. Experience

Without those 3 things, it's almost impossible for anyone in "Hollywood" to even give you the time of day, much less read your script. You need to have something under your belt.
    And, if you fall into category number 2, it will simply take you a lot less time to achieve your dreams.

This set of rules applies to all aspects of entertainment whether it be music, films, directing, painting, egg decorating, anything...

It's pretty much a dead guaruntee that anyone worth anything in the entertainment world has paid their dues, so to speak. Don't be discouraged by all this. Just know that getting recognized is not as simple as slipping on a bananna peel. It takes work.

22. queenofthegeeks

queenofthegeeks Jedi Youngling star 1

May 16, 2003
    M. Night Shymalan started out by making his own film, also. He raised all the money for the project and made "Praying With Anger" which he also starred in (he's since said he doesn't really see himself as much of an actor, but does make cameos in his films).

The fact is, you're going to get a lot of people trying to discourage you - even if you decide to make your own film (or really practically anything deemed "artistic"), but you just have to decide if this is what you want to do and do it. Listen to almost any director, writer, actress, etc. talk about their time before they "hit it" and they'll probably mention overcoming odds and having people tell them that it couldn't be done. In my eyes, it just makes it that much more fun to do it and show them up. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.