main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

2. Hey Fanficers! In fixing the prefixes something happened and now you can't edit titles. Don't panic! We're looking into what happened and trying to fix it.
  3. 2017 Fan Fiction Awards - Nominations

Beyond - Legends Just Pan (2018 DDC - OC, Bail/Breha, Winter/Tycho, Luke - hurt/comfort)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Briannakin , Jan 13, 2018 at 2:32 PM.

1. Briannakin

Briannakin Grand Moff Darth Fanfic & Costuming/Props Manager star 6 Staff Member Manager

Feb 25, 2010
    Title: Just Pan
    Author: Briannakin
    Timeframe: 7ABY
    Characters: OC (Pan), and Established Characters (Bail/Breha, Winter/Tycho, Luke, Leia).
    Categorization: AU (Legends technically)
    Genre: Character-driven drama, Romance, Family
    Notes: This is a new OC and this story takes place in a completely “new” AU, so no prior knowledge of anything is needed (there may be references to my personal Bail/Breha canon, though reading that stuff is not needed). I’m not going to fully establish how this AU diverted from the movie-canon (though there will be some backstory), but this is a typical “Anakin Skywalker didn’t go Sith in EP III” (“Star Peace” as someone once coined this AU genre) universe.

I have a vague idea of where this is going, but I’m also just kinda writing/posting this by the seat of my pants and trying to get back into writing SW fanfic. This is a half-marathon diary for the 2018 Dear Diary Challenge.

Entry 1

So this is how I die.

The doctors said this might help my family cope - you know, so they’ll know what happened, but don’t think this is going to help because that is seriously all I remember thinking. Maybe they think my recording what happened will help the Republic Navy figure out what is kriffing wrong with that new shield. Hopefully my data-pad will filter out all the breaks I have to take while recording this to breathe; I have to audio-record this because I can’t type. I keep thinking I should be spending my energy dictating a letter to my family, you know, telling them how much I love them… and miss them.

Oh, kriffing stars, Pan, pull yourself together and stop crying.

Okay.

So this is how I die.

The thought drifted across my mind. It was oddly calming. Like… it was all out of my control. I was at the wills of the universe. In many ways I still am.

Because it was all out of my control. Because I was strapped in a starfighter and the controls weren’t responding to me. And my astromech wasn’t responding either.

The ground approached so quickly. I plummeted towards the lifeless asteroid known only as MX-C23V5 and there was nothing I could do about it.

“Dammit Delta Six! Pull UP!” I can still hear the voice of ground control crackling in my ear.

“Oh, like I haven’t tried that!” I responded into the comm in my helmet. Will they lie and tell my mom I was brave in my final moments, or will they tell the truth and tell her I was sarcastic till the end? “I’m telling you, everything is dead!”

Eight times (I think) I flipped the pilot controls over to the astromech setting, then back to manual. Every time, nothing happened to the black monitor just below my viewport. I jerked the yoke but nothing happened.

The only thing that changed was the ever-nearing strip of asteroid. I remember thinking: this dammed pitted, grey plane will be my final sight. At least I won’t hit the base. At least there will be no other casualties.

“Nothing is coming back online,” I stated what was painfully obvious for me. “Everything is dead! It got fried when I went though the field.”

Will it be comfort for my mom when they tell her that her 25-year-old son died for a good cause?

Will my dad be proud? I served the Republic. I’m going to die for the Republic. Kinda.

Admirals, when they manage to get a communication through the asteroid field and into the actual inhabited part of the galaxy, will tell my family I died when I was the first to pilot a T-66 starfighter through an experimental planetary shield. It was designed to allow ships to flow freely but keep asteroids out. The Republic Navy knew there was issues, but needed a sentient being to tell them exactly what. So, as a talented mechanic and an experienced fighter-pilot, I was ordered by my superiors to go through the faulty shield. What’s the worst that could have happened?

And this is how I die: crashing a kriffing X-Wing on an asteroid on the edge of the galaxy.

Will my sister cry?

Mom and Dad will and that kills me.

Okay, okay, Pan, back on topic.

I remember ground control. “Delta six, begin emergency landing procedures or eject!”

I pressed the eject button once more, just encase I wasn’t pressing hard enough the first 67 times. I couldn’t believe my last few moments in existence was going to be spent arguing with ground control. It was every pilots’ nightmare. Not the crashing part, the ground control part.

Take it from a dead-guy, or a guy about to be dead: GROUND CONTROL SUCKS.

“Everything. Is. DEAD! The electronics are dead. The manual mechanics are dead. My astromech is dead. I. Am. Dead.”

I didn’t have time to say final goodbyes or murmur one final prayer to the universe.

The surface of the asteroid came too quickly.

And now, I must rest. I am too tired for even one last try at some gallows humour. Maybe a communication can be sent in time…. Maybe Mom and Dad will come…. I want them.

Entry ended.

Findswoman and divapilot like this.
  2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Force Ghost star 7

Aug 31, 2004
    Superb start. =D= Exactly the blend of frustrated sarcasm and resigned acceptance of a situation you believe you are powerless to avoid. Love his thoughts on his family. @};- Yuppers, his mom would more likely believe the sarcastic reaction. ;) Chuffed to be reading more about Bail/Breha.

Findswoman likes this.
  3. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Wait...you did NOT just kill off your main character in the first post, did you? :eek:

Ridley Solo and Findswoman like this.
  4. Findswoman

Findswoman Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 27, 2014
    I'm wondering the same thing as @Mistress_Renata! :eek: Though given that this is entry 1 and all, there's got to be some loophole or twist here, right? Or will it be the multi-character kind of diary (one guess I had given your character list at the start)? Some headsplode or other is at work here, indubitably. Whatever the case may be, this is a very cool approach to writing the gut-wrenching, hair-raising last minutes of a Republic pilot, and I look forward to seeing what will come next (!).

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  5. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    :eek:
    WOW. What a start! throwing us cold-turkey into a new world, just like Star Wars does best!
    Seeing as how this is hurt/comfort, I'm guessing your OC is going to live, but be seriously messed up...like a week in a bacta tank with possible artificial limbs.
    Wanting to see how Luke comes into this, so I'm sticking around. ;)

6. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    WOW great start with your OC in dire straits

Findswoman likes this.
  7. divapilot

divapilot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Wow, what a great start! You got me hooked right away. I already love Pan and his snarky humor, Your weaving of the backstory/exposition was brilliant, too. I can't wait to see how he survives this.:D

He DOES survive this, doesn't he?:eek:

doesn't he? [face_nail_biting]

8. mavjade

mavjade It's so FLUFFY! Fanfic Manager star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 10, 2005
    Woah, that's a dramatic start!! I love it! =D=

I can't imagine how scary that would be, to try over and over again to get anything to work and it doesn't. Knowing that you are going to die and there's nothing you can do.

I obviously don't know the relationship between Pan and his mother, but I'm going to assume she knows him well enough to be comforted by him being sarcastic in his final moments. ;)

This is so heartbreaking, those final thoughts. Even if they aren't his final, he thinks they are.

I'm looking forward to seeing if Pan is indeed still alive, or if not where we'll go from here!

9. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    Oh boy, either our hero survives or he doesn't.

Is this going to be told in backwards order?

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.