Just Quit SWCCG, Want to Get into SWTCG, HELP!

Discussion in 'Games: TCG' started by PadmeA_Panties, Dec 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PadmeA_Panties Jedi Youngling

star 4
    Any help on this game.... I just quit and sold all of my SWCCG, and I now have 800$ to spend, and am thinking of SWTCG.... any help and thoughts, like...

How many sets?
    How many cards per set?
    Any basic news?
    How is the dice mechanic? I've heard mixed reactions to it....
    Is the game more reliant on skill or on luck?

Thank you!
  2. Jedi_Natalie Jedi Master

star 4
    There are 95 to 210 cards per set (total of 6 sets). The newest is Empire Strikes Back with the new card type Locations with is like a permanent effect on the table until played over. The dice is pretty cool but I really think it comes down to skill. When this game first started (with Attack Of The Clones) there weren't htat many abilities so it relied more on how you rolled. Now with the later expansions there are so many abilities and it has a lot to do on how well made your decks are and how you play them.

You can find most of the info at:
    Star Wars TCG

You also can get cheap booster boxes of Attack Of The Clones and Sith Rising for $20 a piece on the internet.
  3. Jedi_Benji Jedi Master

star 4
    Go out and Grab a starter Box from AOTC, and play with that. If you enjoy, buy more cards, progressing through the sets, so you learn the new abilities well.

Take your time before investing $800 into a game you may not enjoy.
  4. Lahne_Pryok Jedi Master

star 4
    Go to PotomacDist.com for good prices on the boxes for the last four sets, ANH, BOY, JG, TESB. But, got to ebay for good prices, about $20 a box for AOTC and SR, the first two sets.
    Potomac Dist. is a great company. I have had only good experiances with them and the customer service is excellent.I am buying two boxes of TESB and card pages from then as we speak.... :)
    TCG is a great game.
  5. Bacabachaui Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Welcome to the game!

Potomac is your best bet. Buying a starter may be disapointing since they are pretty lame and do not represent the game well, especially if you played SWCCG. If you want a real idea of how it works for cheap, buy some boxes at Potomac. The first two sets, Attack of the Clones and Sith Rising (based on Episode 2 and some Episode 1) are about $25 a box (because they overprinted them). The 3rd set, A New Hope (based on Episode 4) is going for $37 a box I think. You still have to meet the $125 minimum order at Potomac so maybe you will want an extra box or two of the 1st three sets or just get one of the newer sets. This will give you a good idea how the game works with some good cards and strategy.

However, the game really started rocking with the release of Jedi Guardians (based on Ep2 also) and the recent Empire Strikes back set that added locations and new levels of strategy.
  6. PadmeA_Panties Jedi Youngling

star 4
    Whats the strategy level like?

On a scale of 1 to 10, like I'd say SWCCG was a 10, Magic would be about a 8, L5R would be a 6, Pokemon a -1, and Young Jedi a 2, where do you think this game would fall?

Also, can you use EP1 and EP2 cards with EP4 and EP5 and EP6 cards?

Also, what all sets have been released?

Thanxs!
  7. Jedi_Benji Jedi Master

star 4
    Whats the strategy level like?

On a scale of 1 to 10, like I'd say SWCCG was a 10, Magic would be about a 8, L5R would be a 6, Pokemon a -1, and Young Jedi a 2, where do you think this game would fall?

If you include later sets and undertstand the cards and rules well, then around 5-7, however if you dont take it seriously you can play at a 2 level, but you'll find it hard to win in tourneys.

Also, can you use EP1 and EP2 cards with EP4 and EP5 and EP6 cards?

Yes, Just like CCG

Also, what all sets have been released?

Attack of the Clones, an Episode 2 Set
    Sith Rising, Mainly Episode 2, however has some cards from Episode 1
    A New Hope, Episode 4 Based
    Battle of Yavin, Based around the Battle of Yavin in Episode 4
    Jedi Guardians, An Episode 2 Set, but with the New mecanics found in ANH and BOY sets, like Pilots.
    Empire Strikes Back, Based on Episode 5.

I hope thats it ;)
  8. Bacabachaui Manager Emeritus

star 4
    I think it is about a 7 or 8 strategy level with the release of ESB this month, but that is at the tournament level and with the hardcore players. You can still play in you backyard at a level or 2-8 if you want.
  9. Jedi_Natalie Jedi Master

star 4
    Yah we started out playing at a really low strategy level but not anymore. For example, one time Psycho_Jedi and I switched our decks to play our opponents - and neither of us did very well because we didn't really know how to use it well.
  10. PadmeA_Panties Jedi Youngling

star 4
    So the dice doesn't really make the game all about luck? [ie. .hack//enemy]

?
  11. Bacabachaui Manager Emeritus

star 4
    The dice have a part in the "luck" but once you learn it's place in the game and allow for it, it becomes part of the strategy. For example, you build a deck with good units and with a strategy in minds such as "control" or "beatdown", knowing all the while that the dice will still be random. You have good rolls and bad rolls, sometimes the bad seem to come at the wrong time and can lose you a game, but it is all part of the strategy as a whole. You may roll good in one attack only to roll bad in another. Then when defending, you are the victim of a good roll against you and breathe a sigh of relief when benefitting from a bad roll against you.

Overall, people that keep track had noted that in a typical game, rolls end up being 50/50 when all is said and done in the end. It's just when and where in the game that count. There are also cards and strategies that allow you to reroll all or some dice, or make rolls what would normally be misses (1, 2, and 3) into hits, etc.

If you haven't bought any cards yet, I change my reccomendation to buying the Empire Strikes back starter and about 5 packs of ESB to get a good flavor of the game. The ESB 2 player game, while still a bit meager as far as strategy goes, has some good units and gives you a good sample of various abilites and strategies. It also has the rulebook that is easier to read than previous ones.

Then, if you like it (which I am almost sure you will, my informal guesstimate is that about 80-90% that try the game, love it), convert some more CCG players! :D And come back here and tell us what you thought of it. :)
  12. PadmeA_Panties Jedi Youngling

star 4
    I don't see how a dice roll that is bad at the wrong time is strategy.... I'd label that as "bad luck" or as "luck" in general.

But, I ordered 2 ESB starters and 10 packs off the internet, and should be getting them sometime next week, I'll let you know my thoughts on it then.

[I got 2 Starters and 10 packs because my friend wants to play too, so 1 starter and 5 packs for each.]
  13. Capt_Piett Force Ghost

star 4
    Well, when the game started, I would have placed this at about 3-4 on the stratagy level.
    With the newest expantion, I place it at around 7-8.

As for dice, think of it as a little more random as the destany in SWCCG (except with no 7s and no choice when you draw R2 as destany).

BTW, why quit CCG when both these games can co-exist?
  14. Bacabachaui Manager Emeritus

star 4
    I was probably not being as clear as I thought I was :) . I know the dice roll cannot be strategy. But building your deck to win (despite knowing the dice is random) is a strategic process.

At the tournaments I go to, the same guys win again and again. They all have their bad games from time to time, but they consistently rule the table, even in sealed deck environment. That shows me it is more the player and less the dice.

To be honest, I am going on about it too much. After you play, you'll see that the dice are really no big deal and is really a secondhand factor. You'll find yourself saying "If only I had put that space unit out on turn three and retreated in ground" or "I knew I was wasting build points on that mission card that turned out not to help" etc. Once in a great while you'll say "The dice screwed me".
  15. Jedi_Benji Jedi Master

star 4
    I quite enjoy the randomness.

I sometimes ask myself, would the game be better with each unit having half power, but always hitting?

I answer No because it makes the game more fun, and laughing when you score no hits on 6 dice :p
  16. Lord_Makro Jedi Knight

star 2
    I agree with Jedi_Benji. It's more fun with the dice.
  17. Capt_Piett Force Ghost

star 4
    The only thing that could make the TCG better is the inclusion of "Objective" type cards.
    (Cards which outline diffrent game machanics and change the game more when you meet a cirtain goal).
    It was these cards which made the SWCCG so addicting, as well as complex!
  18. Jedi_Natalie Jedi Master

star 4
    Hehe I read your post yesterday Capt_Piett and last night I dreampt I got a promo objective card out of esb. :p
  19. Capt_Piett Force Ghost

star 4
    Wow.
    I never caused somebody's dream before.

Anyway, do you think Wizards would ever make a card like that?
  20. Lord_Makro Jedi Knight

star 2
    Hmmm... I don't know, I wasn't playing CCG...
  21. Bacabachaui Manager Emeritus

star 4
    They might, but then again the goal with the new game was to have a fun game that was also easy for new people to start without attaining a Masters Degree in strategy. :D
  22. Capt_Piett Force Ghost

star 4
    I think the real part of having fun during a tournement lies with the players, not the cards.
    I know I have only won one game of CCG (an all droids deck vs. Massassi Ops). But I always have fun because the players are the best.

I don't know if Wizards will do an objective, but I think they are working slowly twards that kind of complexity in their games. Just take the gradual adding of abilities and card types to the card base.
  23. Jedi_Benji Jedi Master

star 4
    I don't know if Wizards will do an objective, but I think they are working slowly twards that kind of complexity in their games. Just take the gradual adding of abilities and card types to the card base.

Yea i agree, the game is starting to get more skill related, and the dice are playing less of a role.

Personally i would love to se objective cards, it would encourage people to have a theme to their decks, which would, IMO, give more of a Star Wars feel about it.

Imagine having Luke, Leia, Han and Chewie in the Charactor Arena against some stormtroopers, it would capture ANH well.

If they introduced objective cards they could say something like '+2 to power if Han, Leia, Luke and Chewie are in the Charactor arena.' and then ' all opponants cards recieve -1 to dice roll unless the charactor is a stormtrooper, insted he reieves +1'

This would then pursuade the opponant to stick with stormtroopers, or deploy his objective, possible over the top of the pervious one.

The more i look at this i notive its starting to resemble location cards, maybe locations are the first step.
  24. Capt_Piett Force Ghost

star 4
    If they do objective cards, I am going to stick with a slightly less complex version of the Decipher game:
    The objective starts the game.
    It has a condition to be flipped.
    When it's flipped, it has a very cool pay-off.
    Both players have an objective, because they each have deck stratagies.

This would make a greater amount of playability for bouth players and look closer to the Star Wars saga.
  25. SithDooku Jedi Master

star 4
    What you need to do is buy all my cards....
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.