main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Just rewatched all the prequels...

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Thiazzi, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    I can't fathom not watching the entire Sage yearly. Multiple times.

2. SeventySeven

SeventySeven Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 18, 2002
    I had a similar 'epiphany' when they showed all 6 for the first time on t.v.

I actually really like the films, but having all six to compare made me uncomfortable - simply because of the years of internet griping. They started with the old ones which i hadn't seen for a while, and because of the intense background radiation of hate, I started to dread next weeks installment.

Amazingly the Phantom Menace just played - and felt the same - I felt no real discernible jolt in tone or quality. Maybe after just having seen ROTJ it worked that way round - 'the least liked' back to back so to speak, but same with AOTC - just felt right - its just a modern Star Wars movie - whats the problem?

Watch it TPM - --> ROTJ and it all makes sense. I guess for some seeing that dug run down the stairs in ROTJ is the kind of thing to make grown men seek therapy, but for me it was "ah ah - I see what you did there George - you really want it to run together don't you - fair enough"

Some other guy's ephphany was when he tried to tell his children they were "wrong", but saw how much the kids loved the films.

Can you imagine that, grown men telling kids they are wrong? My Dad did that to me with the O.T., and I didn't sit down and think "oh yeah - films with to many SFX and space ships with stupid 'troops' that can't hit the backside of a cow with a banjo are dumb. Thanks for saving me !" I though stop spoiling my fun, if you knew how much I liked them it would be something positive to share.

But no, if your sister is having fun with stuff you don't like - you pull the heads off, deface the posters, switch the tapes/records/CD's/mp3's around.
    You inflict on others your misery.

Yep. They are just films. Well made, risky, brave, Interesting independently made mad films about darkness, religion, love politics war and betrayal.

3. GuardianSoulBlade

GuardianSoulBlade Jedi Knight star 3

May 26, 2015
    I've never undderstood OT fanboys need to bias newcomers towards the OT, you shouldn't tell someone they're "wrong" if they prefer the PT or the OT over the other, but trying to push "wrongness" of one trilogy over another is something I find to be really stupid and annoying, let Star Wars Newbies pick which one they like more.

New fans who go in without any PT or OT bias end up liking all of it. Many of them do like the OT more than the PT, but they don't act like the PT ruined thier childhood.

4. SeventySeven

SeventySeven Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 18, 2002
    ...and I have many contemporaries who think ALL the films are the dumbest things they have ever seen ! You sit through them with them and you can sort of see it through their eyes - "oh no - here comes the great master muppet sounding like kermit? Are they gonna buy this?".

Ha ha - whatever. Each to their own.

5. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Yes, if the OT is so far superior to the inferior PT, then new fans can easily come to that conclusion for themselves. Everyone should be free to decide what they like or not and none of any of us should be telling them different, or withholding certain movies "for their own good." :p

Of course, I'm not saying sharing one's opinion is wrong, especially if asked. But I find it - disappointing - when someone says they'll introduce someone to Star Wars except for - usually the PT, sometimes TCW, sometimes EU, sometimes some combination of.

6. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    This reminds me almost of how I got back into SW after a years long absence

I believe it was in December of 2012, shortly before I joined these boards. SW was a fond childhood memory of mine. I had watched all six films to death and then at some point, perhaps 9 or 10, I stopped watching them. No idea why. I still played some of the games and stuff, like the Knights of the Old Republic games, but the saga itself was unseen. I discovered one night about the blu-ray collection and decided to look into it. I listened to some music for a bit of a nostalgia trip - I found myself actually crying pretty deeply hearing the extended track for the credits music of ROTS. It was then I remembered - SW is beautiful to me. I immediately went out and found the blu-ray collection and a few days later, I did a marathon I-VI

They're nowhere near as good as I remembered as a kid - they're FAR beyond it. It seems SW has a powerful effect on those who almost forget its magic, so I understand the sentiment

7. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    It really ought to be up to the individual newbie or not. Many make the mistake of 'I don't like this' = 'bad, awful, inferior' no, it doesn't just like different perception doesn't automatically equal wrong. I have yet to see the Blu-ray editions. Admit, I'm curious.

earlchinna and SW Saga Fan like this.
  8. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Just tell them the story order is 1-6 but that 4-6 were made first from 77 to 83 and then 1-3 were made from 99-05.
    Effects were different from 77-83 from today etc.
    If you saw the movies 4-6 and then 1-3 I don't see the issue of starting that way. If it worked for you, why not try it?

If you don't like a movie say you like it least of the 6. Doesn't mean you hate it (Or maybe you do who knows?) it just is at the bottom of the list. The others are better.
    Take the Harry Potter books for example. DH and GOF are my favorites, then OOTP, then SS/COS/POA and then HBP. I like HBP the least but I still like it a lot. It just doesn't compare to the other 6 for me.

9. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    As I saw the OT before the PT, I have a fondness for that order, of course. But I do really wish I was a newbie and could see 1-6 in that order. The surprises would be different, that's for sure.

Tonality-wise, much as I loved ANH, I searched for deeper characterizations - a depth that I imagined lurked below the surface although superficially absent. Then ESB came out and gave us much more, but it was less "fun" and charming. ROTS was back to fun and adventure, but the characters had deepened over their arcs.

Had I started with TPM - well, it is much like ANH in tonality (or meant to be, as I understand how much so many hate it and might find that offensive). Our characters would have evolved so much through this trilogy (this is assuming one is not at all familiar with the Star Wars story), much as our OT heroes evolved in theirs.

I always totally enjoy reading about what some posters have been able to observe when they introduce Star Wars to someone for the first time, and how that went. In fact, their delight in what they are discovering helps keep my delight kindled as well.

earlchinna likes this.
  10. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    Revenge of the Sith FTW!

Glad you gave the prequels a chance and enjoyed them. It's always more fun to like something than to hate it.

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Darth Basin like this.
  11. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015

I agree with you here Cushing's Admirer. It's almost everyone who confound personal preference with qualifying something as good or bad. And that's precisely the same mistake, I think, that a lot of people have made and are still continuing to make when people dislike the prequels:

"A lot of fans hate the prequels"="They are bad movies"

For example, my brother is a big Marvel fan and he really dislike Iron Man 2 and keep saying "it's a bad movie". But I've watched Iron Man 2 and I didn't find that it was bad. Most probably because, since I'm not a Marvel fan and wasn't so attached to the Marvel universe as my brother, I could watch this movie more objectively.

earlchinna likes this.
  12. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Objectivity is not the be all either. The simple truth is quality is down to wiring and perception as are tastes. The fact most hurl names and absurd judgements to those that differ is simply uncalled for and unneeded. Regardless how oft others tell others their perception is baseless or invalid it doesn't change that it's theirs and valid to them. To me it's not even about difference it's about a lack of respect and that's sad.

earlchinna and SW Saga Fan like this.
  13. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015
    Cushing's Admirer likes this.
  14. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    I watched the blu-rays of all six films two years ago after not having watched any of the films uninterrupted and in their entirety for years and years (prior to that, when I had cable TV, I would usually try to catch as much of the SW marathons on Spike TV as I could, but of course they were all cut up by commercials and I wasn't really watching any one movie closely in its entirety but rather catching bits and pieces in between doing other stuff around the house).

I will just say that I was blown away by how visually beautiful each and every one of the six films looked in blu-ray format. I was particularly surprised at how good the OT films looked, as I guess I was thinking the wouldn't look as "crisp" visually since they are the older films. (I knew I would love the content in the films, of course; I just wasn't prepared for how good they looked in that format.)

I would recommend watching the blu-ray versions of all six (or the digital HD versions that were made available recently) to any SW fan. Even for those who have problems with the PT or SE OT changes, IMO the visual quality as a whole is really amazing and would be worth it for all but a very small group of fans (those that despise the PT and/or SE changes so much that they literally would be unable to enjoy any aspects of those films).

15. Alienware

Alienware Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2013
    The Original films on Blu-ray offer the best video quality I've yet seen from the 70's and 80's. And audio quality is simply amazing.

Pensivia and Cryogenic like this.
  16. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    Yes, the audio is great too...I just wish that German was one of the audio language options! (since I recently started studying German:p)

17. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    Does anyone else think that the new Golden Books of the prequels are more well made and tell the story much better than the actual films do?

18. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    I haven't read them (yet), but I highly doubt it.

Jarren_Lee-Saber and mes520 like this.
  19. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I rather watch ROTS a 100 times in a row than watch TPM or AOTC even once more

20. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Okay, I'm glad for you?

21. GuardianSoulBlade

GuardianSoulBlade Jedi Knight star 3

May 26, 2015
    I was reading an article about a parent deciding when to show their kids the Star Wars movies, it was full of comments from OOT jerks loudly proclaiming unedited OT and only the OT, they even went as far as to proclaim they would forbid their kids from watching the PT. It's not like the PT has objetionable content like some R rated movie. That will just make them want to watch it, they'd probably end up hating Star Wars because of parental immaturity, It was fan dumb at it's finest, forbid your kids, YEESH! What? So they can't have an opinion on a fandom's contriversial movie trilogy because you have your nostalgia goggles embedded in your head?!

22. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015

One of the lamest argument I've heard so far is that the prequels were bad for children since they will start to develop bad taste for movies and it was bad parenting and bad education towards children.

And here's another from Youtube:

I was tempted to say to that guy: "Do it! If you do have the guts!" Just like the Emperor:

[​IMG]

23. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I've seen some interesting Youtube comments

Regarding the rerecorded Boba voice:
    And the response was golden lol

24. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    RotS is definitely one of those movies you can re-watch over and over. The whole movie is intense and flowing with emotion. Whenever someone says the prequels were bleak, I just point to RotS because you can't say that movie was void of human emotions

25. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    Have not got to ROTS yet but every year I like to watch them with The Clone Wars in between AOTC and ROTS. Similar to the OT is one major connection....there are always more things to catch each time through. Such a fantastic experience when you see or learn something new. I am guilty of watching and thinking why didn't they do it this way or include Dooku in TPM and etc...