main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Just saw ATTACK OF THE CLONES!! **Official thread** Initial reactions

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by DarthKnight, May 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    `we could scream from the mountain tops that the OT has been dethroned'

Read the spoiler forum. Some of us who have seen it are screaming from the mountains. :D
    And I say it doesn't have the charm of episodes 4,5, and 6 either.
    It has a charm all of it's own. And that I can definately deal with. :)

2. Guybrush

Guybrush Jedi Master star 3

Oct 18, 2001
    Mark my words...This movie will continue to grow on people. By Ep.3, people will be calling this a classic StarWars Ep. I love this film, it has everything I wanted.

3. Jedi knight Pozzi

Apr 2, 2000
    `By Ep.3,'

It's already happening. People have said it's better than ESB already. It be interesting to see if that lasts. :)

4. Guybrush

Guybrush Jedi Master star 3

Oct 18, 2001
    To me this movie is a solid third just under 4 and 5. ANH and Empire are tied as far as I'm concerned.

5. The Flying Dutchman

The Flying Dutchman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2000
    just seen it: After the intro when the Love story began I though that the movie lacked speed, but when thinks started to get heated up I changed my mind. Thank god that the Love story is a bit slow.

If the movie was all the way as the end it's just to much to comprehend (the end was already a lot to get at).

I think it was well balanced and with OB's story in between things still kept going.

Although it doesn't feel like the OT this is in my opinion NOT bad. After all: the '60 are very different then the '70 or '80 But they all have their charme. Same with SW.

Most important was that it reminded my of the first time I saw ANH. I couldn't stop thinking about it :)

6. Adali-Kiri

Adali-Kiri Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    The film boggles the mind...

I've only seen it once, but my initial reaction is that this one is breathing down the neck of TESB (which has been the ultimate for me for a few years), and I'm not too sure that I'm not prefering the 1980 movie just because of nostalgia. It will be interesting to see what we think in a couple of years. This IS the huge step of the story - the point of no return. Possibly the film that makes the rest of the story something near inevitable...

And I agree with Spielberg that Lucas delivers some great direction in this one. It's not as flat or straight as TPM. The acting is strong imo, especially from McGregor (who IS Kenobi now), McDiarmid and Lee (obviously...) and Christensen. I must say I thought Hayden was brilliant! And some scenes in this movie are truly disturbing...Lucas is conjuring up darkness here that goes beyond TESB by a long way in some places...

I was also surprised to see that Lucas is allowing for tears to fall in a way I haven't seen in any of the other movies.

At first viewing this is an 8/10 in my book.

Minus for some deleted scenes that could have helped a bit (but it's nothing too seriously missing), and some CGI work that didn't convince me. Yoda was great, but stuff like the Clonetroopers was not too convincing at first viewing.

7. QuiGonJinn

QuiGonJinn Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 1, 1998
    SHUT-UP with all this Irvin Kershner is better than Lucas crap!

The man directed Robo-Cop 2! Robo-Cop 2! Robo-Cop 2 makes TPM look like Citizen Kane! Lucas makes ONE single movie you don't like (well, two if you don't like AotC) and all of a sudden he's an imbecile behind the camera.

Empire is great, I love it to death, but Irvin Kershner's track record still looks alot worse than George's.

Oh, and my initial reaction AotC is that it was awesome. Hayden was great, nay perfect. Yoda was so cool I still haven't stopped smiling and I like the ending better than Empire's.

Some of it was mighty cheesy; Dex's Diner, Threepio's one-liners, but the good more than made up for it (by far).

8. RossTheBoss

RossTheBoss Jedi Youngling

May 17, 2002
    Irvin Kershner's track record is worse than George Lucas' because Irvin didn't come up with Star Wars. If George hadn't done Star Wars, then all he'd have would be American Graffiti, and that's probably all he'd be known for. Irvin got some bad breaks after The Empire Strikes Back. Really, the only people that came out on top after Star Wars were Lucas, Harrison Ford, and Industrial Light & Magic. Sure Robo Cop 2 isn't great, or even good, but if the script, or even basic idea behind a movie is bad, there usually isn't much a director can do. Give Irvin a break. I'd like to see you direct The Empire Strikes Back.

9. Saadiq

Saadiq Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2002
    this was a GREAT addition to the star wars saga, can't wait for the new one.

10. MatRags

MatRags Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2001
    After my second viewing of AOTC my view on Hayden's performance has changed. He didn't seem as wooden as I thought he was. I saw true hate in his eyes and in his voice. He is very consistent on this level.

I can also see the ackward romance between Padme and Anakin is right because Anakin is obessed with Padme. He seems obsessed with her in Ep1 as well.

11. Harlowe Thrombey

Harlowe Thrombey Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 19, 1999
    Saw it three times this weekend and loved it! Of course, the best was the first viewing; I really think that the movie was a lot better for those who are nonspoiler...my cousin read all of the spoilers and the book, and was slightly disappointed the first time, and he said it was because he wanted to see some of the cut scenes and he had pre-visuallized a lot of the scenes. Well I certainly didn't have that problem. The movie is slower in the middle, but that's only because you have two amazing sequences at the beginning and the end of the film: of course it seems "slow" compared to that!

I think that ANH and TESB are tied at number one for me, with AOTC coming in slightly ahead of ROTJ for third. Thank you very much George!

12. Jedi knight Pozzi

Apr 2, 2000
    I'll watch it for a third time tomorrow. I'll wonder if I'll start to see this slowness people mention? :)

13. Ekenobi

Ekenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2002
    Well I saw it twice this weekend. IMO I did not think the film was slow at anypoint. I was attached to the screen the whole time on both viewings. Of course the first viewing I was in awe. The second I was able to pay attention more to what was going on. This movie for me passes ESB. Just more was going on in AOTC that made it so awesome. And you could not go wrong with Yoda. People were cheering for him. AOTC was just too awesome!!!

14. DarthVeron

DarthVeron Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2002
    I thought it was awesome, it was so full of action I couldnt stand it and the part with yoda was easily my greatest star wars experience ever. It is probably my favorite now though rotj is close in 2nd, Im definately seeing it again in the theaters and buying it when it comes out. George Lucas is pure genius.

15. Adali-Kiri

Adali-Kiri Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    The critics can say what they want. Imo, Lucas has given us the greatest SW film since 1980, without question! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.