main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lg.Is, NY Just saw it

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Voravan, May 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Voravan

Voravan Jedi Youngling

May 10, 2005
    It's almost 4, and i cant sleep. I just saw it. The last star wars movie. the movie that completes the saga. it was amazing, and shocking, and i'm not afraid to admit that i did cry several times.
    For those who did see it, i ahve a question. at one point Yoda mentions "Master Vos". You dont think that could possibly be Quinlan Vos do u? that's what i thought, and honestly, that would be so cool.

2. cyranodb

cyranodb Jedi Master star 4

Aug 26, 2001
    Man my brains are such tapioca from not sleeping that I didn't even realize her mentioned Master Vos. I don't know of any other so it's possible it is Quinlan Vos. These are the reasons we see it four times...and because it's just so totally cool. I didn't cry during the movie, but there was just so much that seemed to bring me back to the OT, and finally seeing the vader suit and hearing that voice, and seeing how Palpatine becomes the emporer and hearing Mr. McDiarmid's voice change to the emporer...that was SO cool.

3. zenwave

zenwave Jedi Master star 1

May 30, 2002
    My god, that was amazing!

I really think it is the best film in the saga - so incredibly tragic. Such an emotional and action packed adventure.

I missed the Master Vos reference too, but here's another question - were Anakin's visions planted by Palpatine? He offers to help Anakin save Padmé's life out of the blue . . . Anakin never told him (onscreen at least) about his nightmares . . .

4. cyranodb

cyranodb Jedi Master star 4

Aug 26, 2001
    The shroud of the Dark Side clouds everything. It's quite possible as Anakin suddenly rushes to Palpy's aid when he hears pleas from Palpy that without him, Anakin would never be able to save Padme. But that whole reaction when Palpy at the end tells him...that was worth the price of admission.

5. Inno-Vader

Inno-Vader Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 9, 2004
    Yeah it was sick.

So many things were left out though. It's obvious how rushed and cut down the movie was after reading the book.

Rather than list all the omissions I figured it would suffice to say that so many things were left out that it felt like a different story. The screen only showed the action, not the reasoning behind those actions.

I'd have to rate it below Empire. The fight scenes, although well choreographed, did not match the emotional heights of either Maul's fight or Vader/Luke Bespin duel.

Space scene was unprecedented however. I was expecting more dialogue during Anakin and Obi Wan's duel.

Finally, after seeing the film I AM NOT CONVINCED that Palpatine lost to Windu intentionally. Perhaps future debates will reveal he did indeed lose on purpose just to sucker Anakin in but intil then I can't just feel it from watching the fight.

Let's get this thread rollin'!

TTYL guys.

6. Voravan

Voravan Jedi Youngling

May 10, 2005
    I was thinking the same thing Inno was. Palpatine seemed to be playing it up a little...even if his face was getting deformed, haha.
    I have a question for Inno: In the movie, most of the Jedi die quickly. Was this just because of time constraints. Like, in the book do they fight more, and go out in blazes of glory?

7. Inno-Vader

Inno-Vader Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 9, 2004
    Hey Voravan -

Well, in the book the 3 lesser Jedi go down pretty quickly also. Agen Kolar gets a saber through the head and his dying words are "It doesn't ... hurt."

Kit Fisto gets beheaded a few saber strokes later and Matt Stover wrote that Fisto's rolling head still had that ol' Kit Fisto grin on it.

My problem with the movie is that, unless you are into Star Wars so much that you read these novels, you won't understand why any of this is happening.

For instance, the whole "Treason" thing by Palpatine was a setup in the book. He hit an audio recorder button to record the Jedi entering, and some incriminating dialogue. Then he stops the recording, puts his index finger over his lips and says to Mace "SHHHhhhhhh." Then he ignites his saber and attacks.

So much left out but as I mentioned earlier I don't wanna list every little thing. My point here is that the book implied that Sidious threw his fight with Windu to gain Anakin's allegiance by showing how unmerciful and corrupt the Jedi were. When I saw the fight on screen it was unclear whether Sidious was actually in control of the situation. If you think about it, if you are shooting Sith lightning at someone and it's reflected back at you, wouldn't you stop shooting it? No, not Sidious. It makes you wonder whether he needed to be disfigured to show the senate how the evil Jedi sorcerers tried to take his life.

Thoughts anyone?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.