main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JUST THE FACTS, MA'AM: L.A. BASICS

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by ValedaKor, Jun 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrsge

mrsge Jedi Youngling

Aug 12, 2005
    Okay, now I'm thoroughly flumoxed.

I downloaded the metro rail map from their website. Our motel is 8 blocks away from the Metro green line's Mariposa station.

I thought I could take it to the blue line and travel north getting off at the Pico station (which is supposed to be across the street from the Convention Center).

Am I suffering from delusions of grandeur? Anything you can help me with on this would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. NaboosPrincess

NaboosPrincess Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 14, 2001
    No, you're right. You can take the Green Line to the Blue Line and get off at Pico-- that will get you pretty close to the Convention Center. I've done the reverse before to go to Redondo Beach. I think the mix-up is just that the Blue, Green, and Gold Lines aren't subways-- they are above-ground trains. The Red Line is the subway. So you'll be taking the trains, not the subway. Easy, right? L.A. public transit can be kinda confusing but you're on the right track. ;)

The Green Line is actually pretty neat 'cause it runs right down the freeway for most of the route. You will get to see lots of cars. :p

Also, here are the timetables (PDF files) for the Green and Blue Lines, if you need to figure out when the last train leaves. Although I would try to take the second-to-last, if at all possible, since you will have to transfer lines. The trains are very reliable but it is a good idea to have some wiggle room just in case.

3. mrsge

mrsge Jedi Youngling

Aug 12, 2005
    Thanks for the info NaboosPrincess.

The links were great. The lines apparently run on the weekends which will be a blessing. My husband is absolutely freaked out by the prospect of driving the rental car around LA.

I personally have "no fear" but I'm the Star Wars addict going to the Convention each day. He only plans to go with me one day to C4, and putter around Manhattan Beach the rest of the time.

Thanks again!

4. ValedaKor

ValedaKor Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    Thanks, NP -- I was being too precise. You explained it much better!

5. chibiangi

chibiangi Jedi Master star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    1) Mann's Chinese Theater...it's not the end of the world exciting, but it is a landmark.
    2) Getty museum. Awesome views and art!
    3) Beaches? 3rd street Santa Monica has a ton of shops, eating, and a street fair atmosphere. You can walk down to the pier and hit the beach. Venice is a tourist attraction because there are a lot of street vendors and stuff, but I find it to be crowded and dirty. If you want to see absolutely stunningly beautiful beaches, go down to laguna beach or dana point.
    4) Disney, Downtown Disey, Knotts are all the amusement parks, dunno if you have the time or the money for that as it is expensive.
    5) Fabric stores? Don't waste your time with fabric stores!!! Go downtown to the garment district. There is a huge area downtown where they sell every kind of fabric known to man! Granted downtown LA is gross, skanky and full of homeless, but if you're a fabric hound it is must see http://www.fashiondistrict.org/

Since you are staying downtown, I'd take a day to go to the Getty museum then spend late afternoon/evening at 3rd St. Santa Monica. The next day, I would go to the chinese theater and sightseeing on Hollywood Blvd then maybe window shopping on Rodeo Drive. Then the last day, hit the garment distric in downtown LA. [You could substitute any with a long drive down Pacific Coast Highway to Laguna Beach or Dana Point if you really want to take a scenic drive and see some nice beaches!]

YOU WILL NEED TO RENT A CAR!!!

6. MrSkinnee

MrSkinnee Jedi Master star 3

Mar 25, 2002
    I was looking at the bus routes on mta.net since I know I'll be using them to get to certain places I want to see. The only thing is that it only shows it all on a pdf file that is way too big to even try to print out on a piece of paper. Is there any place out there that has maps for sale to show what the bus lines are?

7. e-j

e-j Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 7, 2006
    Everywhere on the 'net and in these forums people are saying "rent a car"! There's no way I'm driving anywhere! I'm coming from a city where people drive on the left side of the road and the biggest freeways are four lanes wide - I won't be able to handle LA traffic. [face_worried] ;)

Thanks to everyone posting public transport info. Very helpful! :)

8. CarolynNC

CarolynNC Jedi Master star 3

Mar 29, 2002
    I'm not renting a car. There seems to be plenty of public transportation options. It might not be as quick as jumping in a car and taking off but I'm on vacation so I can take my time and be patient. It beats paying for a car to sit in expensive parking lots for the majority of my trip.

9. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    Not the bus lines, unfortunately, because they change so much. You can pick up little information "booklets" when you get here that will have up to date schedule information, though. You can get that at the downtown L.A. visitor information sites.

The bus service out here isn't bad, it's just that it takes so long to get to places during most times of the day.

10. MrSkinnee

Mar 25, 2002
    Thats fine with me. I'm willing to wait. Its that versus $200 to rent a car for the week. No thanks. I'm patient. :)

11. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    shameless plug time...
    Griffith Observatory has an awesome view of the entire L.A. area, and you just need to be able to get over to the Hollywood area to get up to the observatory. Its a good view for pics of downtown and the Hollywood sign and its been in plenty of movies. Just check out griffithobservatory.org first

12. echosevin

echosevin Jedi Master star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    Curious....when a visitor comes to Canada, they are eligible to receive some of the sales taxes paid, back from the Canadian government. You simply save all your receipts, fill out a form and then mail the whole shabang to them for reimbursment. I'm not sure about provicial sales taxes (that would be state tax for you), but I know for sure it applies to the GST (goods and services tax which is collected nationwide).

Does the States have anything like this?

Thanks!

13. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    Oh, you wish! :) Sorry, no.

Sales tax (which is levied by the state, not the federal government) that is collected on goods purchased in Calfornia (and 48 other states -- Louisiana is the only state that gives foreign visitors a break on sales tax, and there are restrictions even there) is not refundable. We don't have the equivalent of a V.A.T. here.

I can amend this to say some upscale retailers, if you tell them you are shipping out of state, will not charge you the sales tax (although they will have to pay it). But most stores do not have this policy in place, and I daresay the vendors at C-IV do not, either.

14. MrSkinnee

Mar 25, 2002
    Can someone tell me if Iguana Clothing on Ventura Blvd in Sherman Oaks is still around? I was out there a few years ago and was blown away by how freakin' awesome this store is!

15. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    It was there a month ago when I drove by. Prices have gone up quite a bit in the last few years, though :).

16. robfett

robfett Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2002
    Hey I'm tentatively planning to visit Grauman's Chinese after the last day of the convention, and it looks like I can get there fine by rail. However I'm highly interested in this "Pinks" hotdog stand, and that is only located a mile south of the theater. Of course, this means I would have to walk there. According to all my timid Minnesota relatives, you don't want to walk alone in West Hollywood... tell me, are they right?

I'd be walking from here, to here. 6925 Hollywood Blvd, LA, CA to 709 N. La Brea Blvd., L.A., CA 90038

17. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    Your timid Minnesota relatives are just that, timid; and if they're worried about what I think they're worried about, very misguided.

Pink's is jammed all the time. It's actually a little bit further than you think, though, so it's an awfully long walk for a hotdog.

18. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004

Try plugging the start and end addresses into the LA Metro.net web site. You could at least get a bus and save a little time.

19. Amidala Starkiller

Amidala Starkiller Jedi Master star 6

Dec 11, 1999
    My husband and I are leaving Texas early Wednesday morning so we will need to pick up our comics for the week. Can someone recommend a good/cool comic book shop in the downtown area?

20. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    Far as I know there are no downtown comic book stores. Some of the local vendors at the vendor hall at C-IV may have the latest releases up on their shelves, of course.

Otherwise - there's always Golden Apple Comics. Great place on Melrose, but not close. This would require a car.

Then there's Things From Another World at Universal Citywalk. That's a Metro ride away, not bad. Small, but full of comics and other "stuff."

And based on the Diamond Comic Distributors website, there's a place called Fantastic Store Comics right around the corner from the Hollywood & Highland complex (actual address 1716 North Highland Avenue, Hollywood). This is one stop closer than Citywalk on the Metro. I don't know anything about this comic book store, though.

21. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Its not West Hollywood, really. Going down La Brea during the day isn't that bad. I used to walk from a bet west of La Brea to Grauman's between 11 and midnight... while it was extremely uncomfortable, I'm mostly sure I'm not dead because of it

22. chibiangi

chibiangi Jedi Master star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    West Hollywood is a gay area and it is pretty safe. Maybe they were just pulling your leg because it is a gay neighborhood?

23. zuckuss1138

zuckuss1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 26, 2001
    first off, thanks to everyone that has posted info. its been helpfull since i've never been to california. i did have a few questions, i've heard the in and out burger refrenced (i think once in this thread as well) is this the same place mentioned in the big lebowski? if so im definately going to have to make a stop there, how far is it from the convention center?

im staying at the stillwell hotel, they say its half a mile from the convention center so i was wondering if the dash bus would be a better idea then walking if im wearing my scout armor. i'll have to wear it over since the convention center wont have bag check for my crate.

lastly, does anyone have suggestions for the best place to take pictures of the hollywood sign?

thanks for any help

24. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    I would take the bus. It's less wear and tear on your costume and if you have any boot issues, it's less wear and tear on your feet. I put large band-aids or moleskin patches on my heels and any other spots that even might rub if I'm going to wear costume boots all day. That little bit of prevention will make your feet much happier.

25. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    Yes, there is the reference from The Big Lebowski. There is no In and Out in downtown L.A. Closest one is in Highland Park, about 5 miles from downtown. However, if you are actually serious about taking a picture of the Hollywood sign (see below), you can always go to the In and Out on Sunset and Orange. Added bonus -- this is just a few blocks away from Grauman's Chinese Theatre and Hollywood & Highland.

For the Hollywood sign, a few places:

**Drive up Bronson (a street in Hollywood), get as close as you can
    **Easier -- Hollywood Boulevard and Bronson (just off the 101 freeway) -- there's a Tommy's Hamburgers there. Park and take the picture from there.
    **From the top level of the Hollywood & Highland complex.

Regarding your costume -- you won't have a problem on the DASH buses, unless you're carrying a weapon. That's going to put a damper on things :).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.