main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Just the WayThings Often Happen (H/L One Shot)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jean, Oct 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jean

Jean Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 7, 2003
    Han Solo crossed the lobby and entered the turbolift. Once inside, he punched the code buttons to take him up to the 854th floor. After an ear-popping ride, he arrived at his destination and stepped out into a lobby decorated with muted tans and mauves into a pleasing combination that bespoke of wealth and taste. On this floor of the Imperial Palace high in the stratosphere, there were few doors. In fact, only four apartments shared this level.

Han strode to the door at the end of the hallway, and pulled out his entry key-card. The door opened silently.

Almost immediately, he was greeted by a metallic clanking.

?Why, Captain Solo,? See-Threepio said approaching him. ?Hello.?

?Is Leia here?? Han asked, dispensing with the pleasantries.

?I?m sorry, Captain Solo,? Threepio responded. ?Mistress Leia has not returned, yet.?

Han looked down at his chronometer. It was nearing six PM standard time. He would actually have been surprised if Leia had already returned.

Sighing a little, Han crossed the room with the ease of familiarity and headed toward the wet bar to fix himself a drink.

?Is there anything else you require, Captain Solo?? Threepio asked, solicitously.

?Nope,? Han waved the droid away and then with drink in hand, he headed toward the balcony. He stepped outside enjoying the breeze and looked down for a while watching the early evening traffic in Coruscant?s space lanes. All around and below, he could see that the city was getting a face-lift; as well, there were signs of the city?s preparations for its first annual Independence Day celebrations marking one standard year since the death of the Emperor and the fall of the Empire, which would take place next month.

A beeping on his comm. unit alerted his attention. He pulled out the unit to check it, and then saw it was a wrong number. As Han was about to reclip the unit to his belt the wind became stronger, blowing the unit out of his hand.

?Damnit!? Han exclaimed, watching the commlink unit shrink into a dot in his vision and then disappearing altogether into the depths of Coruscant?s lower levels. He shook his head. It had been that sort of day. Little things had gone wrong from the time he opened his eyes and realized that he had set the alarm wrong on his chronometer and overslept until now.

The lowest level of Coruscant was almost two kilometers down, and he knew there was little point in trying to retrieve the unit.

He sighed and returned inside the apartment. He sat down on the sofas nearest the window, put his drink down and then leaned back against the cushions. It had been a long, busy week, capped by this frenzied day in which everything had seemed to go wrong, but Han had been looking forward to this day for a long time.

It was the one-year anniversary of his own release from carbonite. He had been planning for some time to use this date to thank Leia for what she had done for him, for taking time out of her Rebellion, and for risking her life to save him.

He closed his eyes, and thought back over this past year, starting from the night the Death Star blew.

What a year it had been. Freedom had not brought instant peace, and Han had gone on numerous missions with Leia over the months, as well as several missions on his own. In between there had been few chances for time alone, time that was unsullied by work or worries, but those moments had been precious and treasured:

?cooking and eating dinner with Leia

?early evening strolls with Leia

?teaming up with Chewbacca to plan the surprise birthday party for Luke and Leia they held two months ago

?sitting on this very sofa in the evenings, with Leia?s legs stretched out over his as she read through reports or worked on assignments.

?moonlit nights with his princess in his arms

?mornings in which he awoke with his princess in his arms

He felt a rumbling in his stomach and spared a moment to hope that Leia wouldn?t be too long before she returned, before returning to his memories of their moments together.

But Leia did not return for f

2. GreatOne

GreatOne Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 22, 2003
    That was WONDERFUL! Fantastic! :D :D :D

3. GreatOne

GreatOne Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 22, 2003
    Upping this story so others read it....

4. Jean

Oct 7, 2003

Thank you, GreatOne!

Wow. No other takers? These boards are way harsh... :eek:

5. Kab730

Kab730 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 20, 2001
    That was wonderful!Great Job!

6. KnightHawk

KnightHawk Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 17, 2003
    Wipes away tear.

Beautiful. Absolutely beautiful.

:)

7. RogueSticks

RogueSticks Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 15, 2003
    ::grins:: That's so much like how I pictured it really happening. With Han preparing this whole thing and it getting shot down the tubes and it becomes this sort of "Well, I was gonna ask you to marry me" situation. Good job.

8. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    Leia sighed in exasperation. ?Didn?t you bring a ring, flyboy?? she finally asked.

LOL! :D

Very sweet! :D Though I shudder to think of Han's comlink landing on someone on the way down... :eek:

9. Solo_Fan

Solo_Fan Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    I hope you write more. This was a wonderful engagement story that perfectly fit the seemingly frequent misunderstandings that Han and Leia have, followed by their totally sweet eventual understandings of each other. Thank you for sharing this with us. Excellent writing!! :)

10. DarthMasan

DarthMasan Jedi Master star 3

Sep 20, 2002
    Adorable fic
    awesome!!!
    loved it
    DM

11. Jean

Oct 7, 2003

Kab730: Thank you!

KnightHawk: I moved someone to tears? :eek: THANKS! :D

RogueSticks: Han does have a propensity for messing up. I thought there was no way he could do a proposal without messing up somewhere on the line. Thank you.

Gabri_Jade: Maybe the commlink could land on some baddie's head :)

Solo_Fan: Thank you! I'm glad you liked it. And actually, I've written plenty :)

DarthMasan: Thank you!

12. starwarsfan68

starwarsfan68 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 25, 2003
    Excellent little ditty. Loved every minute of it. Keep up the good work.

13. A-Windsor

A-Windsor Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 22, 2003
    *giggles and grins* This is so adorable!!!!! Of course they get in an arguement before he proposes... So typical Han and Leia.... Great job!!!! I loved the part about the ring!

A. Windsor

14. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    I could have sworn I'd reviewed this before...

Awwwwwwwwwww! I love it!

YubYub and TG- Protecting fangirls from hormonally gifted fanboys since 2002

15. Puggy

Puggy Jedi Master star 3

Oct 1, 2002
    Awwww... That was so adorable, Jean! I loved when Leia said, ?Didn?t you bring a ring, flyboy?? *Giggles*

Lovely fic, Jean! Great characterizations of Han and Leia. :)

16. ivylore

ivylore Jedi Master star 2

Nov 5, 2000
    Awww...

Cute Jean!

Han cautiously stepped a little closer to her. ?Yes, well?I practiced that a lot, you know.

hehehe... :)

17. Xaara

Xaara Jedi Master star 3

Jun 30, 2002
    That was one of the sweetest Han/Leia proposal scenes I've ever read. Han was perfectly in character, and you caught a side of Leia that is sometimes neglected by authors. Their interaction was excellent--you captured perfectly the way they bicker incessantly at the slightest provocation but still manage to love one another. This little exchange left me with a smile:

?Han, please! Now you?ve got me really worried.?

And Han could see that she was starting to look upset again. He sighed. ?I?I was going to ask you to marry me.?

There was a prolonged silence before Leia said. ?What??

?I came to ask you to marry me,? Han repeated. ?But after what I said and how I behaved I wouldn?t blame you if you threw me off the balcony.?

?You wanted to marry me?? Leia repeated.

?Are you all right?? Han asked, becoming worried by Leia?s way of repeating the words.

Truly well-done. :)

EDIT: I just looked in your profile to see if you'd written anything else and discovered that this was your first fic. So I had to come back here and tell you that I sincerely hope you continue posting here at the Boards. We (that's a royal we :p ) always appreciate another good writer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.