main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Just to shake things up a bit...

Discussion in 'Archive: Milwaukee, WI' started by Mauler_II, Aug 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mauler_II

Mauler_II Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2002
    This news item was on the Wired web site. Sometimes I think our government just doesn't get it.

Begin quote:

The U.S. State Department has rolled out Hi, a slick, full-color "lifestyle" magazine in Arabic targeted at 18- to 35-year-olds in a dozen Arab countries. "We're emphasizing the positive things," said a consulting editor. And a State Department rep said Hi is "in a very subtle way, a vehicle for American values." The Indian Express responded: "Bludgeoning Arab youth with giant baseball bats and making them sing 'Yankee Doodle' would be more subtle." The first issue features American colleges, yoga and an Arab-American actor, but has nothing on the invasion of Iraq, terrorism or other irksome issues. The apparent obliviousness of Hi's editors and State Department bosses to the supposed wants or needs of the magazine's target audience might be seen as an example of why people hate America. Hmmm.

End Quote

2. BYOB_Kenobi

BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    I like to shake up boxes full of mantises and then watch them kill each other.

3. jedihexer

jedihexer Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 17, 2002
    OK? Well I know I can sleep better knowing that my tax dollars are going to help arab youth pick out the correct nail polish and shoes for suicide bombing runs...

The state dept. is full of ___holes! Great oogley, moogley, what the heck are they thinking?

E

4. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    These two are at each others' throats all the time:

[image=http://www.redsugar.com/zoraknose.jpg] [image=http://www.redsugar.com/wideeyed.jpg]

5. jedi_kiss_rock_

jedi_kiss_rock_ Jedi Youngling star 1

May 12, 2002
    i have come to find that the goverment is a selfish bastarda and only want money sould for its own bidding. It makes me red in the face, very iretated you know what i mean!

thx
    jedi klss rock

6. Bishop76

Bishop76 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 1, 2002
    heh... no idea.

7. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    [image=http://mitglied.lycos.de/gottesanbeterin/gottesanbieterin.gif]

Look at 'em go!

8. Outlander_

Outlander_ Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 11, 2002
    Why are they wasting money on this when it's plainly obvious that the main problem is religious zealotry? You can't reason with those people.

9. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    No, wait... Wait! Would you rather live during the ascendancy of a civilization or during its decline?

10. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    You laugh now, but one day the mantises will enslave us all!

[image=http://www.rodneymatthews.com/gfx/timeslippingaway.jpg]

11. TheWampas1138

TheWampas1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    Yes and that will start the great Ape-Mantis war to see who will control mankind. Because without property tax increases, teachers will only have time to teach children consonants and we will spiral down into an uneducated pit of hell from which there is no escape. Because clearly, the first thing we do when we can't raise a lot of taxes, is fire teachers and police.

Bring on the mantises! Mantisi! Mantices! Mantisa! Crap, I don't know the plural of mantis. I'm ready for the corn fields, monkey overlord.

Dwayne, new subscriber to "Tire Swing: The US Government's magazine for those about to be enslaved by lower primates." Today's issue: 101 Banana recipes and Lice Picking guide.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.