main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Just why was Ylesia cut from DW?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Sep 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Just what was the story with this?

As Ylesia really is distinct from all the other e-books that have been done.

Recovery was pre-SBS, Saboteur pre-DM:SH, the TG one was pre-TG. All were distinct stories that could be read separately from the book which they were bundled with (or to be so in the case of TG perhaps).

Ylesia though is apparently like a missing chapter of DW, DW even refers to it at a chapter start. Now given this unique nature why not simply include it in DW properly?

The PDF on the official site is 121 pages, that includes various padding so say it ends up 110 of pure text. DW was 448 pages, with Ylesia that comes to 550, still short of SBS' 606 pages.

Seems odd.

JB

2. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    "Ylesia is actually a subplot I cut from Destiny's Way on account of length," he explains. "It fits between Chapters 20 and 21 of the novel. You can read each independently, though I hope that if you read the two together, you'll find they're more than the sum of their parts"- WJWinterview, September 30, 2002

Perhaps LFL gave him a limit to how many pages he could have, and because it was a subplot, more of a side story, he chose to leave it out? SBS was given more because it was the middle book of the series, I think.

3. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    JB...
    "Ylesia though is apparently like a missing chapter of DW"

On Ylesia, according to WJW 7/17/02:
      "I am in the process of writing an e-book--- actually an e-novella--- which will be displayed on Del Rey's web page, for anyone to read. It's set more or less in the middle of DESTINY'S WAY. The action of the novel jumps three months ahead at one point, and the novella is set during that three-month span."
    WJW 8/10/02:
      "Yes, the story I just completed, currently titled "Ylesia," will be the one available online. It won't be free as I stated earlier (my mistake), but cost something on the order of three bucks. Which isn't bad for something half the size of a novel.

Lessee, I can't give too many spoilers. I don't want to give away how the NJO series ends, but I can say that it doesn, in fact, =have= an end. And since I know at least part of what's in it, I can say it's going to be a mind-blower.

I wouldn't want anyone to overanalyze my comment regarding Kyp Durron. Nor do I want to give away what happens in relationships, but---

Jaina and Jag are both in DW, but not in the same scenes.

Jaina and Kyp are both in DW, and share scenes.

Jag and Kyp are both in DW, but do not share scenes.

Jaina and Jag are in "Ylesia," and share scenes.

Jaina and Kyp are in "Ylesia," and share scenes.

Jag and Kyp are in 'Ylesia," but do not share scenes.

Connect the dots as you will."
    On page counts of DW, according to WJW 7/11/02:
      "I don't know about the page count of the novel, because I haven't seen it in proofs yet. It's 135,000 words long, and I'd guess that when set into print it would be around 350 pages. But that's just a guess."
    At the time, these counts were base manuscript format, without final formatting in place.

4. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Perhaps, but given how it's referred to in DW, it seems too important to be cut.

Well I've got the story so I'll go and have a read and then comment on this mystery.

And yes it does seem a mystery, we have the explanation but that explanation doesn't necessarily make much sense. To me at any rate.

JB

EDIT: Just tried the TOS Ylesia, seems you can only read it online with connection going! Rats!

5. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Umm I saved it to my computer, and it works fine.

6. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Tried that too, it seemed to download fine then tried to open it and:

"File is damaged, cannot open."

Heh, I blame Bill Gates. :)

JB

7. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    sounds like you might have lost connection in the middle of saving it, so that that the file corrupted. Just trying to save it again.

Oh and I updated with the source of the quote I gave earlier, if you needed the date, and proof that it was cut from his DW manuscript, September 30, 2002.

8. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    I didn't have any problems saving the file and reading it later. You need the proper version of acrobat reader (I have no idea how old a version supports the file, I was using Acrobat Reader 6.0). Right click the link and "save as."

Viola! Open at your convenience with Acrobat Reader.

9. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Don't think it was the connection but Genghis may have have nailed it ie. versions old and new.

JB

10. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    more than the sum of their parts?!

Anakin Solo fans, please disect...

;) :D [face_mischief] :p

- The Imperial Ewok

11. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    Part of it might have been that the authors were being required to write an ebook along with each novel. WJW may have decided that he could pull out this short and fairly peripheral chapter of the book and expand it into a novella for his ebook.

12. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    (I have no idea how old a version supports the file, I was using Acrobat Reader 6.0).

Well, I know version 5.0 works for reading the Ylesia PDF cause that's what I have.

13. J_K_DART

J_K_DART Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    I didn't have any problems downloading it either; hmm, what version of acrobat do you have? There should be various upgrades around the net easily...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.