main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Just wondering, is there less CG then we think in the PT?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Jedi knight Pozzi, Dec 31, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    That's less CGI, not less blue screen work.
    There's alot more model work and such, then we may give credit for. I personally still sometimes think that every single thing (and I mean every single thing) is CG.

My point (and not much of one I admit) being is that many say the CGI doesn't make it feel real. But with so much model work being used, does this mean we really don't know what is what?

EDIT: And before the smartarses arrive, not alot less CG. Okey? :p

2. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    It's getting to the point where it's a lot harder to tell the difference between CG effects and things like actual models, outfits, sets and so on.

The old 'too much CG in Star Wars' thing has been bandied about since '77. Critics always tend to generalize things.

3. Corpsey_The_Ewok

Corpsey_The_Ewok Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 27, 2002
    "CGI" is actually quite a broad term. As well as the obvious stuff (fully computer animated characters, spaceships etc.), it also includes less obvious stuff like digital compositing of live-action elements and (computer drawn) 2D backgrounds.

"Static" CG models are pretty much indistinguishable from miniatures (or bigatures :)), and in any case both types of models are composited digitally.

Also, most animated characters/objects start life as actual physical models, which are then "scanned" into the computer to produce a mega high-poly 3D mesh.

Bottom line; these days, the distinction between CG and "traditional" effects is blurred at best.

4. DarthWeenie

DarthWeenie Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 2, 2002
    Very well explained, Corpsey.

There is more CG in the prequels than you can possibly imagine. Far, far, more.

Anikan's hand during the "I hate sand" speech, Mace walking toward Dooku on the balcony, the carpet in the senate building, and every single scene with Sio Bibble in AOTC, all count as CG.

5. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    TPM and AOTC have used more miniature models than any other film in history (as far as I know).

Now personally, I think the visual effects in the PT are perfect in many cases. In the PT there are CG effects, real life sets, and miniature sets. And there are cases where I can't tell the difference between what is what:

- when Jango shoots the grappling hook around Obi-Wan's hands when he force calls his lightsaber, Obi-Wan is CG. I thought it was Ewan in real life
    - when Obi-Wan hugs Dex, Obi-Wan's body is CG. I never would have guessed
    - all Clonetroopers being CG
    - various places like Kamino, various locations on Coruscant, the Arena, and so fourth are miniature models
    - when Padme and Anakin first land on Tatooine, I figured the overhead shot was of a real set built for Tatooine, but it was a model

ILM is the best :D

6. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    But when one refers to CGI they usually are thinking computer generated or animated. As if NONE of what we are seeing existed in physical form. Hence the derisive hoots about the new Star Wars films looking like video games.

In that regard yes, there are far less entirely computer generated or animated elements and shots than people think. Sio Bibble is a real actor. Models have physicality that rings true on screen. And there are far more models in TPM and AOTC than people realize.

So I would say yes there is less CG than we think in the PT.

7. DarthWeenie

Sep 2, 2002
    You guys arent getting the definition right.

For instance, Anikan's hand just before the "I hate sand" speech is a real persons hand -- layered over Hayden's hand... using a computer! Thats CG.

Sio Bibble is a real actor. But all his scenes were comped in using computers.

That stuff is CG.

In TPM, there are multiple times where GL compiled the actors performances from different takes to create one "super-take." There are no special effects visible. No one could ever tell. But that counts as CG.

There are tons of times where youd never be able to tell what is CG and what isnt. Therefore, there is more than you can imagine.

P.S. the whole scene in the queens ship's bridge just after the blockade run is CG. (The scene where Panaka sits down in the co-pilot chair, Obi says,"Here master, Tatooine", "Its controlled by the Hutts", etc.) Betcha didnt know!

8. DarthWeenie

Sep 2, 2002
    ST-TPM-ASF-TNE:

Now personally, I think the visual effects in the PT are perfect in many cases... And there are cases where I can't tell the difference between what is what:

Uh...doesnt that mean that there is MORE CG than you think? You say you thought some CG scenes were real.

9. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    CG stands for COMPUTER GENERATED. Meaning it was generated on a computer, not modified or composited using a computer.

And just because YOUR definition of CG is that does not mean everyone else's has to be.

10. DarthWeenie

Sep 2, 2002
    Whoa, easy there big guy.

I didnt mean to imply that you or anyone else is stupid or anything like that. Sorry.

ANyways, you know that scene that I mentioned above from TPM? Well, none of the componets of the scene (actors) were "generated" by a "computer." But since their purformances from different takes were layered on top of one another, for what GL calls a "super-take", that "super take" is "computer generated imagery." Am I wrong?

If you take a photo of yourself, then a photo of the eifle tower, then slap the eifle tower behind you in the computer, so it looks like you are standing in front of it, then the resulting "photo" would be called "computer generated."

Something doesnt have to be 3D or "animated" to be CG.

11. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I would consider that to be computer altered or modified. It's still got some basis in reality.

12. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    DarthWeenie posted:

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE:

Now personally, I think the visual effects in the PT are perfect in many cases... And there are cases where I can't tell the difference between what is what:

Uh...doesnt that mean that there is MORE CG than you think? You say you thought some CG scenes were real

I never said there wasn't a lot of CG usage in the PT. All I said was that the PT uses more models than any other films to date. But when differing between what is what, I sometimes find it hard to see what's real, and what's not because everything is composited together so well by ILM.

13. Nai

Nai Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    There's a lot more model usage than most people realize. The Jedi Library, Dex's Diner (exterior), many of the Kamino interiors, the long shot of the Tusken camp, the arena, and Sidious's hangar were all models.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.